Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in the early stages of going in for a revision to a gastric bypass.... I had the sleeve in 2017, and developed acid reflux from that surgery. The acid reflux/heartburn only developed and worsened, despite being on twice daily Protonix. Eventually, this year, I got an upper GI where they found I had severe acid reflux (which I could knew. lol), then also had a EGD scope and found a hiatal hernia. I'm working with my original surgeon of the sleeve, and he is telling me there are 2 options; to insert the LINX, or convert to a bypass, since that should remove the acid in the stomach. My insurance does not cover LINX as they deem it experimental, but would cover the bypass if medically necessary. Wondering for the people that had to convert to bypass due to GERD, what, if any, were your insurance requirements? Is it similar to the first surgery; office visits, nutritionist, etc? Just curious how long of a road this might be until I can have the bypass, or what I need to prepare for. Thanks for listening. :)

22 minutes ago, beaker27 said:

I'm in the early stages of going in for a revision to a gastric bypass.... I had the sleeve in 2017, and developed acid reflux from that surgery. The acid reflux/heartburn only developed and worsened, despite being on twice daily Protonix. Eventually, this year, I got an upper GI where they found I had severe acid reflux (which I could knew. lol), then also had a EGD scope and found a hiatal hernia. I'm working with my original surgeon of the sleeve, and he is telling me there are 2 options; to insert the LINX, or convert to a bypass, since that should remove the acid in the stomach. My insurance does not cover LINX as they deem it experimental, but would cover the bypass if medically necessary. Wondering for the people that had to convert to bypass due to GERD, what, if any, were your insurance requirements? Is it similar to the first surgery; office visits, nutritionist, etc? Just curious how long of a road this might be until I can have the bypass, or what I need to prepare for. Thanks for listening. :)

I am on Medicare and also had my sleeve in 2017. I did not have to do any of the stuff I did the first time they just scheduled my surgery. I also was at original goal so if you have weight gain ect I am not sure how that would work. BTW I still have acid a month out of revision and I am not the only one their are others in this forum that still have it after revision. Good luck.

Thank you for that information! Hopefully, mine will be scheduled quickly then, too! Sorry, to hear you are still having acid reflux! :( It's funny, I didn't have it at all before the sleeve, now possibly revising to a bypass. Wondering if I had the bypass originally, would I have this problem at all.

I'm another sleeve to bypass revision due to GERD, which I didn't have before my sleeve. I would not have LINX, too similar to LapBand for me. When will doctors figure out that foreign bodies in the GI tract eventually cause problems? Like Tracyringo I'm on Medicare and it took a week for them to approve the surgery and another 2 weeks to get it scheduled. I had an upper GI, EGD, manometry, and a BRAVO test (yup, have GERD, told them that without the test) but other than those to nail down the diagnosis I haven't had any other test or diets or hoops to jump through. I'm scheduled for Monday 6/29.

Because your revision is for medical reasons, I would expect the process to go quickly for you, too. Good Luck!

This is one thing that really scares me about getting the sleeve. i dont have gerd now and and im getting second thoughts...

I had a revision and my surgeon made me do the preop and nutrition class again. The insurance needed to do a peer review with my dr but it was approved. You should not have an issue.

2 hours ago, Phoenix20 said:

This is one thing that really scares me about getting the sleeve. i dont have gerd now and and im getting second thoughts...

Stats say 20-30% of sleevers develop GERD afterward who didn't have it before. Talk to your surgeon and see what they say about it.

12 hours ago, Foxbins said:

Stats say 20-30% of sleevers develop GERD afterward who didn't have it before. Talk to your surgeon and see what they say about it.

yeah, that isn't a terrible stat but it worries me. i think, at the end of the day, that's a risk worth taking. my surgeon wasn't concerned but we can discuss it again. vsg is the best option for my personal case based on a few factors and i know there is no surgery that doesn't carry some risk. i have also heard of people who developed GERD post vsg but it wasn't permanent and/or it was successfully treated by medicine. so that's the hope. thanks!

yeah, that isn't a terrible stat but it worries me. i think, at the end of the day, that's a risk worth taking. my surgeon wasn't concerned but we can discuss it again. vsg is the best option for my personal case based on a few factors and i know there is no surgery that doesn't carry some risk. i have also heard of people who developed GERD post vsg but it wasn't permanent and/or it was successfully treated by medicine. so that's the hope. thanks!

Even with the possibility of GERD if I had it to do over again I'd still get a sleeve. It worked wonderfully well for me.

I had heartburn before the sleeve and reflux runs in my family, so I should of had the bypass to begin with but the surgeon said go with the sleeve and so I did. I loved my sleeve and I am sure you will love yours. Fingers crossed you never have the GERD. My revision was awfully painful and the differences between the two are something else.

1 hour ago, Tracyringo said:

I had heartburn before the sleeve and reflux runs in my family, so I should of had the bypass to begin with but the surgeon said go with the sleeve and so I did. I loved my sleeve and I am sure you will love yours. Fingers crossed you never have the GERD. My revision was awfully painful and the differences between the two are something else.

thanks. fingers crossed. i have to get over that worry right now since its not guaranteed. one step at a time. i dont have much heartburn ever and it doesn't run in my family. you never know. thanks!

11 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

Thanks for the reply! This revision stuff can be scary and makes me nervous. I guess just the not knowing part. Would you mind elaborating on the differences? What was your experience like? :)

On 6/24/2020 at 4:40 PM, Foxbins said:

I'm another sleeve to bypass revision due to GERD, which I didn't have before my sleeve. I would not have LINX, too similar to LapBand for me. When will doctors figure out that foreign bodies in the GI tract eventually cause problems? Like Tracyringo I'm on Medicare and it took a week for them to approve the surgery and another 2 weeks to get it scheduled. I had an upper GI, EGD, manometry, and a BRAVO test (yup, have GERD, told them that without the test) but other than those to nail down the diagnosis I haven't had any other test or diets or hoops to jump through. I'm scheduled for Monday 6/29.

Because your revision is for medical reasons, I would expect the process to go quickly for you, too. Good Luck!

Yeah, I don't like the idea of the object inside either. The doctor mentioned side effects are developing scar tissue around the LINK and then possibly having surgery to correct that! Definitely not what I want is another surgery! :( Good luck on your surgery! I bet you canr wait until Monday! ;)

9 hours ago, beaker27 said:

Thanks for the reply! This revision stuff can be scary and makes me nervous. I guess just the not knowing part. Would you mind elaborating on the differences? What was your experience like? :)

I had a lot of restriction with sleeve and with everything I ate. I don't have that restriction now, so that was scary for me. I have dumping now and it sucks. I still have GERD so far. One weird thing is the weight loss. I do believe the bypassing of calories is very true, at least it is for me. I am only a month in so I want to see what happens next month.