Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

On 5/28/2020 at 6:04 PM, MIKEYY84 said:

It's perfectly fine to be apprehensive.

I just want to share with you my journey I had my surgery 7 months ago gastric bypass surgeon did 120cm.

It was the best decision ever and like I hardly crave food anymore literally some days I don't even think about food so you won't miss it as much as you think...

After a few months you'll be able to eat more normal food anyway but Protein is most important for your recovery.

I think I've been quite lucky with no issues or complications at all and losing weight pretty quickly..

Also 70lbs isn't that much I've lost over 150lbs now and maintaining well.

You will eventually be able to introduce certain food into your diet but still being mindful of the calorie content :)

Trust me you won't REGRET it at all

Mike

28 months out and this is the best advice! Protein is king so get your protein and if you can then some vegetables. I lost most of my weight very fast and have been mostly stable except for COVID-19 quarantine. (I gained 3 lbs) but I am still under my goal weight. After all this time I still never get what I call hungry, but I do eat as I need to get my protein. The only problem I have is that even though I do not get hungry food still tastes really good. So if I overeat even a little bit I pay for it in pain or dumping. Just be careful what you eat and how much! I had 3oz of sea bass tonight and later had a small apple sliced and now I am suffering. Someday I will learn...My DR says you will figure it out on your own. I agree everyone has their own journey in finding out what they can and cannot eat and how much.

4 hours ago, Repeatingthoughts said:

hi friends! I hope you are all recovering well!. I am currently counting down.. I am so nervous, yet excited. Staying away from everyone in efforts of remaining covid free lol.

Yes, it is exciting and scary, but you will get through it and it is not bad on the other side. Give yourself a day or less, but do walk as soon as they let you up to walk. I walked, walked, and walked some more after they left me get out of bed. It made a huge difference in my recovery and now over 2 years out I strive to make 10,000 steps per day. Some days that doesn't happen but try.

Hi friends! Just thought I would give you guys a bit more info on my trip to the other side. I was pretty nervous the morning of my surgery. My surgery was scheduled for 2 PM so I didn’t have to be at the hospital until 11:30 AM, which gave me way to much time to get nervous. My mom and dad dropped me at the hospital because it made more sense for my husband to work Monday and be off Tuesday when I got to go home. BTW, my parents have been divorced for 44 years, lol, thankfully they are friends so they joined up to give me a ride. I did not have anyone in pre-op, but my nurse was great, and I ended up getting really calm in pre-op, almost bizarrely calm. I was out cold within minutes of getting to the OR and then woke up in recovery. I was in a ton of pain when I first woke up. I am guessing it was from my hiatal hernia repair. I don’t think my amount of pain was remotely normal. I actually peed myself it was so bad. The nurse gave me pain meds and I have had minimal pain since then. At this point, I would say I have some incisional discomfort...that’s it. I did take some pain medicines last night to help me rest better.

food is so weird. I am not hungry but know I need to eat. Surgery day and yesterday I was on Clear Liquids. Today I am on full liquids and start purées on Monday. I made some cream of wheat this morning and mixed 2 tablespoons of prepared Cereal with about 1/2 scoop of Protein Powder. I had about 4 small bites and then burped, taking that as a cue to stop eating. I will try again in a bit. I feel like I need the food, but I just don’t have hunger and nothing sounds particularly tempting at this point. I feel like I need Water, but I’m trying to wait a bit longer after my food intake. I also took all my morning meds, so that may have contributed to me filling up so quickly.

Anyhow, everyone has commented on how well I am doing. My husband is impressed that I am able to walk fully upright without any pain. The doctors and nurses were all impressed with how much walking I was doing at the hospital. I’m sure this has contributed to my lack of pain. Unfortunately, until I can get more food in me, my walking will need to be minimal as I am a bit lightheaded this morning. Maybe by this evening I can walk around the block. I did come home from the hospital with my weight up by 1.5 pounds, which seems really normal. So looking forward to some drops soon.

Good luck to everyone with surgeries still to come! Keep us all posted on how you are doing! 😊😊

Wow you're into food pretty quickly I'm amazed.

7 hours ago, WishMeSmaller said:

Hi friends! Just thought I would give you guys a bit more info on my trip to the other side. I was pretty nervous the morning of my surgery. My surgery was scheduled for 2 PM so I didn’t have to be at the hospital until 11:30 AM, which gave me way to much time to get nervous. My mom and dad dropped me at the hospital because it made more sense for my husband to work Monday and be off Tuesday when I got to go home. BTW, my parents have been divorced for 44 years, lol, thankfully they are friends so they joined up to give me a ride. I did not have anyone in pre-op, but my nurse was great, and I ended up getting really calm in pre-op, almost bizarrely calm. I was out cold within minutes of getting to the OR and then woke up in recovery. I was in a ton of pain when I first woke up. I am guessing it was from my hiatal hernia repair. I don’t think my amount of pain was remotely normal. I actually peed myself it was so bad. The nurse gave me pain meds and I have had minimal pain since then. At this point, I would say I have some incisional discomfort...that’s it. I did take some pain medicines last night to help me rest better.

food is so weird. I am not hungry but know I need to eat. Surgery day and yesterday I was on Clear Liquids. Today I am on full liquids and start purées on Monday. I made some cream of wheat this morning and mixed 2 tablespoons of prepared Cereal with about 1/2 scoop of Protein Powder. I had about 4 small bites and then burped, taking that as a cue to stop eating. I will try again in a bit. I feel like I need the food, but I just don’t have hunger and nothing sounds particularly tempting at this point. I feel like I need Water, but I’m trying to wait a bit longer after my food intake. I also took all my morning meds, so that may have contributed to me filling up so quickly.

Anyhow, everyone has commented on how well I am doing. My husband is impressed that I am able to walk fully upright without any pain. The doctors and nurses were all impressed with how much walking I was doing at the hospital. I’m sure this has contributed to my lack of pain. Unfortunately, until I can get more food in me, my walking will need to be minimal as I am a bit lightheaded this morning. Maybe by this evening I can walk around the block. I did come home from the hospital with my weight up by 1.5 pounds, which seems really normal. So looking forward to some drops soon.

Good luck to everyone with surgeries still to come! Keep us all posted on how you are doing! 😊😊

Sounds like you're truckin right along! Protein powder (genepro) in Soup broth and 1 oz sugar free Jello shots made with the same protein powder (had 2 grams each) kept me alive the first 5 days when putting anything in me felt like a mistake. Have you tried these? You will be amazed at the week marks and how much better you feel. One week was a huge difference. Then two then three. Today I ate 2 ounces of ground chicken and peanuts in a thai broth and for the very first time I did not feel uncomfortable afterwards. Normally I get the "too full-not ready for this" feeling. Not today. Today is my 4 week mark. I have been approaching this like a rebirth. Relearning now to eat and considering the first 8 weeks to be a time I expect to feel badly. I'm halfway thru and today is a good day. Hope it is for everyone else as well. It's also the 5th day in a row of being 200 pounds. CRAZY! My bod doesn't want to let go of the 200s. Well... I think tomorrow is gonna be the day. ONWARD BYPASSERS!!

20 hours ago, 613cnn said:

Mushies start tomorrow. 2 days earlier than I thought. And thank goodness because I’m going nut. Yesterday I had French onion Soup at an alarmingly fast rate. And put some croutons in it. And today I had two chicken wing flats - with the skin off. I’m concerned I’m going to mess something up. Have to get my head straight.

YOU MADE IT TO MUSHIES!! YAYYYYYY! Let us know how it goes.

22 hours ago, Holleyday said:

Hey guys!
I am now post op gastric bypass surgery. My surgery date was July 2, anyone else having issues with what to eat?

Jello shots with Protein powder and tasty broth with protein powder!! ONWARD!!

15 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Sounds like you're truckin right along! Protein Powder (genepro) in Soup broth and 1 oz sugar free Jello shots made with the same Protein powder (had 2 grams each) kept me alive the first 5 days when putting anything in me felt like a mistake. Have you tried these? You will be amazed at the week marks and how much better you feel. One week was a huge difference. Then two then three. Today I ate 2 ounces of ground chicken and peanuts in a thai broth and for the very first time I did not feel uncomfortable afterwards. Normally I get the "too full-not ready for this" feeling. Not today. Today is my 4 week mark. I have been approaching this like a rebirth. Relearning now to eat and considering the first 8 weeks to be a time I expect to feel badly. I'm halfway thru and today is a good day. Hope it is for everyone else as well. It's also the 5th day in a row of being 200 pounds. CRAZY! My bod doesn't want to let go of the 200s. Well... I think tomorrow is gonna be the day. ONWARD BYPASSERS!!

Doing really well with my Protein today, especially since it is my first day with full liquids. I am at 32g so far and plan to try to get a shake in tonight for dinner, which will take me up to 60-ish g. No problems with getting my Water. I am always thirsty and just keep sipping. I will probably be close to 80 oz water by the end of the day. I did go for a short 15 minute walk. I can assure I did not set any land speed records with my 23 minute mile pace. Lol. Looking forward to feeling better each day.

Meow, I am impressed with you eating chicken and the Soup sounds amazing. I can’t wait for purées, next week and then off to mushies. I want some baked tofu when I get to mushies at day 14.

@MaybeMeow, this weight stall WILL pass. You are doing the right stuff. Your body just needs to catch up. 😜

Just over three weeks post-op, and I'm feeling so much better. Still not getting enough Protein, but I'm trying. I am finding eating in general much easier, and I'm transitioning from purees into real food chopped up small and chewed thoroughly. I'm just so happy not to be stuck on liquids anymore!

I've been eating:

- unsweetened apple sauce, apple juice, popsicles, Honest Kids juice pouches, no-sugar fudgsicles

- watermelon (a LOT of watermelon), cherries, frozen berries in my protein smoothies

- cooked chicken thighs, shredded cheese, string cheese, cottage cheese, hummus, tzatziki sauce (on chicken), greek yogurt, veggie and meat baby food

My last class with the nutritionist was very helpful. She told us to focus on protein and hydration, but clarified that yes, if you can handle it, it's ok to eat a little fruit. She said the sugars that occur naturally in fruit and milk will never cause dumping syndrome.

I switched from the Multi-Vitamin with Iron to one that doesn't have it. I am menopausal so I don't need the iron, and it was making my bowel movements very...unpleasant. I think it was also contributing to my Constipation. Feeling better now.

I had this hilarious dream the other night that I was eating some kind of dessert with creamy filling and frosting and I was enjoying is SO much when I suddenly realized I was going to give myself dumping syndrome big time and I started panicking! Then I woke up. HAHA!

2 hours ago, Groovymommy said:

Just over three weeks post-op, and I'm feeling so much better. Still not getting enough Protein, but I'm trying. I am finding eating in general much easier, and I'm transitioning from purees into real food chopped up small and chewed thoroughly. I'm just so happy not to be stuck on liquids anymore!

I've been eating:

- unsweetened apple sauce, apple juice, popsicles, Honest Kids juice pouches, no-sugar fudgsicles

- watermelon (a LOT of watermelon), cherries, frozen berries in my Protein smoothies

- cooked chicken thighs, shredded cheese, string cheese, cottage cheese, hummus, tzatziki sauce (on chicken), greek yogurt, veggie and meat baby food

My last class with the nutritionist was very helpful. She told us to focus on protein and hydration, but clarified that yes, if you can handle it, it's ok to eat a little fruit. She said the sugars that occur naturally in fruit and milk will never cause dumping syndrome.

I switched from the Multi-Vitamin with Iron to one that doesn't have it. I am menopausal so I don't need the Iron, and it was making my bowel movements very...unpleasant. I think it was also contributing to my constipation. Feeling better now.

I had this hilarious dream the other night that I was eating some kind of dessert with creamy filling and frosting and I was enjoying is SO much when I suddenly realized I was going to give myself dumping syndrome big time and I started panicking! Then I woke up. HAHA!

Hi Gang. 200-pound Meow here. STILL. Honestly it's becoming a joke. I step on the scale and it jumps above and then below and then stops on exactly 200. I think this is day 6. ((eyeroll). So I'm holding at a solid 17 pound loss on post day 30. Ah well. Waiting for that swoosh people talk about. Hope it's several at once. I'm only eating 600 calories a day and getting at least 200 calories exercise a day according to my tracker so it can't stay here much longer. EAT THAT FAT. THERE'S PLENTY ON THE THIGHS, BABY. BURN IT!

Oh yay! Bariatric nightmares!! Dream Dumping! Lol. So good to hear you're eating and feeling pretty good, Groovy. Nice to hear about the fruit. I've been stealing that banana since week 2 and have had no trouble. I think it's clear sugar isn't going to make me dump and frankly I'm relieved. I am also taking the Vitamin without iron and plan to continue that until the bloodwork says I'm in need. It's hard enough to poop regularly.

My daughter had a dance competition this week and today I chased her around for a few hours in a big convention center carrying a big bag. It's the first "outing" I've had besides a quick trip to the grocery store or errand and I was surprised how weak I felt. Gonna need to try and push myself more, I think. And figure out what I'm missing if I can't because I'm 47 years old and 200 pounds and I should be able to do what was asked of me today without issue. Time to start kicking the exercise up, maybe. What's everyone else doing? ONWARD BYPASSERS!

I’m 3 weeks out tomorrow. Not doing too well. On mushies now. Threw up today. Haven’t lost much weight - like still single digits. Not sure how that’s possible, especially on a super strict diet. My surgeon says to start lifting weights in another week to get my metabolism up. I thought this was supposed to be the honeymoon phase but not seeing the progress. Hoping something accelerates or even if I keep this pace up for long time, then overall it doesn’t matter. But from all other research and stories, this is supposed to be the rapid phase right? Single digits 3 weeks out is not rapid :(

Edited by 613cnn

18 hours ago, 613cnn said:

I’m 3 weeks out tomorrow. Not doing too well. On mushies now. Threw up today. Haven’t lost much weight - like still single digits. Not sure how that’s possible, especially on a super strict diet. My surgeon says to start lifting weights in another week to get my metabolism up. I thought this was supposed to be the honeymoon phase but not seeing the progress. Hoping something accelerates or even if I keep this pace up for long time, then overall it doesn’t matter. But from all other research and stories, this is supposed to be the rapid phase right? Single digits 3 weeks out is not rapid :(

@613cnn... That would be very frustrating. I wish I could offer some suggestions but I'm with you in the frustration. Tho it sounds like you are even more stalled than I am so far. Have you spoken with your dietician? I've been thinking of calling just to say "Am I eating enough? Too much? Am I too sedentary? How is little to no loss POSSIBLE with these numbers?"

RE: the throwing up. UGH. I'm so sorry. I'm hoping it was just the one time. I too had one big throw up scare and thought "Oh no! This is going to be my life!" But it hasn't since. So try and keep thinking positive. Maybe it was a fluke. A little something too fast or too soon. But yes, I'm with you. This first month was suppose to be our glory losses and it seems we're not getting that nice high number reward. Here's hoping for next month. What choice do we have but to press on with hope? ONWARD!!

Well friends, I was doing great until I wasn’t. I had been wearing a scopolamine patch since they put it on me in pre-op and took it off yesterday per my instructions. Then I was nauseous. Then I had pain. Then I was miserable. I did have a hiatal hernia repair and I believe it started to cause some spasms to my diaphragm which were less than pleasant. I think 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻I finally found the recipe of anti-nausea med and Tylenol where I feel almost functional. The actual plain Tylenol is working so much better for me than the narcotics. I have not eaten anything since about 24 hours ago and I am afraid to try. Just been focusing on my Water, which I am doing much better with today. I think I will probably just be conservative with clear liquids only today and then see about advancing again tomorrow.

I hope you all are doing well with recovery!

33 minutes ago, WishMeSmaller said:

Well friends, I was doing great until I wasn’t. I had been wearing a scopolamine patch since they put it on me in pre-op and took it off yesterday per my instructions. Then I was nauseous. Then I had pain. Then I was miserable. I did have a hiatal hernia repair and I believe it started to cause some spasms to my diaphragm which were less than pleasant. I think 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻I finally found the recipe of anti-nausea med and Tylenol where I feel almost functional. The actual plain Tylenol is working so much better for me than the narcotics. I have not eaten anything since about 24 hours ago and I am afraid to try. Just been focusing on my Water, which I am doing much better with today. I think I will probably just be conservative with Clear Liquids only today and then see about advancing again tomorrow.

I hope you all are doing well with recovery!

Oh no! It sounds like our little group is hitting a rough spot all around. I’m crossing my fingers you’re thru the worst of it. Too bad you couldn’t plot that patch right back on. But maybe it’s best to know what’s going on exactly and manage it actively with orals. Do you think the pain was causing the nausea? Do be sure to sip sip sip. I know all too well how the dehydration can make everything much worse. Maybe even try some real Gatorade. That has helped my nausea a great deal. Here’s to a better day tomorrow and the next for ALL of us!

23 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Oh no! It sounds like our little group is hitting a rough spot all around. I’m crossing my fingers you’re thru the worst of it. Too bad you couldn’t plot that patch right back on. But maybe it’s best to know what’s going on exactly and manage it actively with orals. Do you think the pain was causing the nausea? Do be sure to sip sip sip. I know all too well how the dehydration can make everything much worse. Maybe even try some real Gatorade. That has helped my nausea a great deal. Here’s to a better day tomorrow and the next for ALL of us!

I think the nausea started before the pain but I am sure each symptom made the other worse. Yesterday the sipping was so hard, but I have been doing better today. I am urinating enough so I don’t think dehydration is a problem. Crystal light is hitting the spot. I just need some sleep and everything will improve. Our poor little group. 😢 I had a bit of Jello. I don’t know if I can ever do whey Protein powder again. With the nausea there was always this underlying taste of sour whey protein. Yuck! I will worry about protein tomorrow.