Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

Hi everyone. I’m heading home woohoo. How is everyone feeling ?

@maybemeow definitely will be drinking my liquids today. Lol do now want to return to the hospital.

Hi everyone! I am grannyliz, a young granny of 8. My gastric bypass was on May 7th and boy has it been a life changer, Mentally and physically. So far I have lost roughly 60 lbs.
I didn't think I really needed a support group until now. I have been struggling with trying to get fluids in me and literally no appetite whatsoever. Like, I literally am NEVER hungry. Just getting 2-3 oz of greek yogurt in me is a struggle.
I have been reading through the posts on here and have taken several of the suggestions to heart, so a very big thank you to those who have been posting suggestions.
I pray those that are recovering from their surgery are doing well.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, Repeatingthoughts said:

Hi everyone. I’m heading home woohoo. How is everyone feeling ?

@maybemeow definitely will be drinking my liquids today. Lol do now want to return to the hospital.

Woo Hoo, @Repeatingthoughts! Hoping home feels good. How ya doin on your liquids and Protein today?

I'm trying coffee for the first time. Sipping it right now with a splash of chocolate Fairlife Protein Shake. I was suppose to wait for 8 weeks but I'm caving at 7.5 weeks. The decision on whether to send my 11 year old to In-person school or keep her home for Virtual learning is weighing verY heavily and I just decided I needed a pick me up. I nearly dished myself up a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and then decided NO! Have the coffee instead. It's reallY hitting the spot. :)

29 minutes ago, Grannyliz said:

Hi everyone! I am grannyliz, a young granny of 8. My gastric bypass was on May 7th and boy has it been a life changer, Mentally and physically. So far I have lost roughly 60 lbs.
I didn't think I really needed a support group until now. I have been struggling with trying to get fluids in me and literally no appetite whatsoever. Like, I literally am NEVER hungry. Just getting 2-3 oz of greek yogurt in me is a struggle.
I have been reading through the posts on here and have taken several of the suggestions to heart, so a very big thank you to those who have been posting suggestions.

Welcome @Grannyliz! The more the merrier. 60 pounds since May 7th is SO fantastic! You say you aren't hungry. Are you getting Protein Shakes in? How are you doing with Water?

I am not even getting 24-30 oz in. Plain Water, which I used to drink a gallon of a day, feels like it burns my pouch, so I have started doing electrolyte fluids to stay hydrated. I get 2-3 small sips in and fee like it is all going to come up, but it doesn’t. Then it is another 45 min before I can get anymore sips in.
As for food/protein, it is a total struggle. I did ok my first week, then as I started drinking Protein Shakes again, I found my pouch cannot tolerate it. So, I took your suggestion of the Gene-Pro tasteless Protein Powder and am going to start trying to make my own shakes with a non-dairy milk.
I noticed people talking about a ticker on here. I have never posted on forums before, so how do I get my updated info into the profile?

Just now, MaybeMeow said:

Welcome @Grannyliz! The more the merrier. 60 pounds since May 7th is SO fantastic! You say you aren't hungry. Are you getting Protein Shakes in? How are you doing with Water?

@maybemeow. I am doing so so. I do not like Premier Protein so I’m going to make my own shakes. Just had to reorder my PB2 powder to add extra Protein. I’ve been doing well with my liquids. I have to step up my protein ASAP as I want to minimize the loss of hair and muscle mass. Pain wise I am doing super well. I have not taken any Tylenol since last night.

How are you ? How is everyone.

@Repeatingthoughts you might want to try making some unsweetened lattes- they basically save me. I used to tolerate Premier Protein but now it’s too sweet. So instead, I brew Decaf coffee and use 3/4-1 cup Fairlife fat free milk with 1.5 scoops of gene-pro Protein. That’s at least 29-32g of protein per latter with no sugar.

I’ve had a bizzare week. I’m not getting on the scale until this Friday but I suspect I haven’t lost much. I’ve been craving a ton of bad things and feel like I’m eating too much... and then apparently got a severe gout attack in my wrist / hand. I have never had gout, doesn’t run in my family, and never heard of this as an issue. But apparently it’s somewhat common? Has anyone else has this?

omg the pain was horrible. Event went to the ER and cried for an hour. A full hour. No injury to my hand, Uric acid was low, but since we can’t take anti-inflammatories I got a 3 day dose of steroids and was told to “just watch it”. So I got that going for me. Lol

Edited by 613cnn

21 hours ago, 613cnn said:

@Repeatingthoughts you might want to try making some unsweetened lattes- they basically save me. I used to tolerate Premier Protein but now it’s too sweet. So instead, I brew Decaf coffee and use 3/4-1 cup Fairlife fat free milk with 1.5 scoops of gene-pro Protein. That’s at least 29-32g of Protein per latter with no sugar.

that sounds delicious! I will try this one tomorrow. I made a Peanut Butter and jelly shake with cashew milk that has 10g of protein per serving, organ organic vanilla with 21 grams of protein, 2 servings of PB2 and a tablespoon of sugar free strawberry jelly, 1/4 cup of plain greek yogurt..all less than 10 grams of sugar. it was delicious.

Hi Gang. Popping in to boast for a moment. My Weight loss is still slow but as I mentioned before I had the short bypass (only 100cm bypassed) and expected it to a certain degree. I was told it meant less risk of dumping, Hair loss, gallbladder issues and lack of nutrition. So I felt it was the right thing for me. But I admit the slower loss has been hard at times. Anyway, I am 8 week post op tomorrow and I've lost a cool 23 pounds. So... ok. But here's the boast. My daily Multi-Vitamin was making me nauseous. So I haven't really been taking it. No Calcium either as my husband mentioned some people get kidney stones from oral calcium and I've had one and it was a nightmare. Thought I'd see what my lab results were and adjust accordingly. Well I got them back today and everything is PERFECT! In fact, my Vitamin D was low before surgery and is NOT low now. B12, Iron, all in normal range. Cholesterol is lower. All looking great. With no vitamins! So... I'm feeling pretty good about that. I don't recommend this to anyone. I'm going to search for a less heavy duty Multivitamin and hope it goes down better. But hoo-ray on not compromising my health with the lack of calories and absorption. Anyway... hope everyone else is hanging in there. I'm truckin along slowly but surely. As long as I'm not stalling I feel pretty good about the day-to-day. Hope everyone else is having a particularly good day. ONWARD BYPASSERS!!

On 7/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, MaybeMeow said:

Woo Hoo, @Repeatingthoughts! Hoping home feels good. How ya doin on your liquids and Protein today?

I'm trying coffee for the first time. Sipping it right now with a splash of chocolate Fairlife Protein Shake. I was suppose to wait for 8 weeks but I'm caving at 7.5 weeks. The decision on whether to send my 11 year old to In-person school or keep her home for Virtual learning is weighing verY heavily and I just decided I needed a pick me up. I nearly dished myself up a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and then decided NO! Have the coffee instead. It's reallY hitting the spot. :)

I had Decaf with Vanilla Fairlife in it...YUMMY! Can't wait until I am at 7.5 weeks and give in to my caffeine addiction! I'm SO happy that I learned that I love Protein Shakes as much as flavored Creamers in my coffee! Feel like I'm doing something good first thing in the AM! :)

Editing to say if you are having a hard time with Protein, try gene-pro (or some other flavorless protein powder...although I have tried both gene-pro and Isopure and gene-pro is way better). I have used it in broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding, protein shakes. It's definitely a protein booster!

Edited by kellym1220

I found some stuff on Amazon called "Chike" iced Protein coffee. It was too expensive but it's good in that it has lots of protein and only a little bit of sucralose, so the "artificial sweetener" taste is not overwhelming. Still too sweet for me, but gave me lots of ideas for mixing up my own protein coffee using my unsweetened powder. It does have about a cup of coffee's worth of caffeine, but I'm cleared to have caffeine occasionally now.

I've been drinking Decaf every morning, with a tablespoon of vanilla Creamer. Not the sugar-free kind, just the regular stuff. It does have sugar but not very much, and in the small quantity that I use, it has not given me any problems.

Every night I dream that I'm eating something and enjoying it a lot, and then I suddenly realize that it's full of sugar and I'm going to get very, very sick! Luckily that has never happened when I'm awake! 🤣

On 5/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, MaybeMeow said:

No pureed stage? Lovely. It IS odd how there are so many vastly different pre and post instructions. Makes me want to pick from the lot what sounds the best to me. Certainly Peanut Butter after 2 weeks sounds good. I will take your advice and save the broth for afterwards so it feels like a treat.

Just got off the phone with pre-registration. I wish I could get my stomach under control.

Meow here is an article on limb lengths https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00464-002-8933-4 i sAw you mentioned it earlier

Hi Bypassers! Pretty quiet on this thread. How is everyone doing? Anyone have anything to brag about? Or gripe about, for that matter?

I am doing well. Exercising pretty much everyday. Getting around 9k steps per day. Went back to work in the clinic after 4+ months of working at home. And I puked up half of my morning meds this morning 🤢😂 I guess I took them too fast and I am still on one blood pressure med that tends to disintegrate before I can swallow it. Yuck!

Hope all of you are out there kicking butt! 💕