Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

2 hours ago, Round2newme said:

I am in Sugar Land

No kidding? I'm in Sugar Land, too. Planning to have the surgery in the Med Center, though. Patrick Reardon was recommended as the surgeon. My schedule is on hold, unfortunately. It's a long story. LOL.

6 hours ago, Groovymommy said:

Yeah, not eating much at all. I lost the first 10 pounds on my 2-week pre-op diet, and the last 10 pounds in just the week since my surgery. It does not feel good. Fast weight loss is the goal, but I feel like I'm dying.

My post-op diet is 2 weeks of full liquid. I'm supposed to aim for 48-64 ounces of Water a day, and 70g of Protein. I'm lucky if I can get halfway on the Protein. I wish I could eat cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs, or SOMETHING, but it's liquids only. So I basically make a Protein Shake in the morning and drink half of it for Breakfast, and the other half for lunch. I supplement with Jello or sometimes a sugar-free popsicle as Snacks. I also drink Water with nectar Protein Powder in it, as much as I can stand. For dinner I have broth or miso Soup.

I just checked my log and I've had 260 calories today, 34 grams of protein, and about 40 oz of water. I could not eat another thing, I'm not hungry. And I'm not dehydrated yet. However, I'm exhausted, and feel light-headed and awful if I try to do more than walk to the mailbox and back. I guess theoretically I should try to force myself to sip on a protein shake during the day, but I can barely get down the one I drink now.

I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow and I'll surely be discussing this with them. I also ordered some high-protein Soup mixes to try. It just sucks when you're stuck on liquids only. I mean there's only so many things you can consume.

I have to admit that I am relieved that you are going to have a follow up appt. very soon given how you are feelings. They “say” we aren’t supposed to be hungry, but you have to be able to get something down. I had surgery the afternoon of 6/18 and just walking in the house (I have an IT band/leg issue in the last year and there are too many stairs to get out of the house). But so far no serious light-headedness. It is hard not to imagine it is a lack of calories creating a problem for you 😞 I am so happy you will be seeing them soon.

I so understand how weary you are of liquids - I didn’t have to do a liquids pre-op diet and I am already so very weary of liquids only and am so ready for some texture! Please keep us updated and how you are doing!

Thank you @AlwaysCruising! I will definitely update after my appointment this afternoon. Even just getting confirmation that I feel this way because of too few calories would be a comfort. It's better to know than not know, you know? LOL.

13 hours ago, StaceynHorton said:

I’m with you on being nervous about surgery getting canceled due to COVID. I’m scheduled for Thursday. What part of Texas are you from? I’m in Ballinger.

I am in Sugar Land

So you’re near Houston, I’ve heard that the virus is really bad there.

5 hours ago, Dave In Houston said:

No kidding? I'm in Sugar Land, too. Planning to have the surgery in the Med Center, though. Patrick Reardon was recommended as the surgeon. My schedule is on hold, unfortunately. It's a long story. LOL.

Sorry you have been put on hold. I am having my surgery at Memorial Hermann, Sugar Land. My Pre-ops went well yesterday and I will go back for COVID testing on Friday.

1 minute ago, StaceynHorton said:

So you’re near Houston, I’ve heard that the virus is really bad there.

Yes, numbers have been growing drastically since we reopened. I just hope I can get my procedure done without any further delays. I was originally planning on having surgery in April.

1 hour ago, Round2newme said:

Sorry you have been put on hold. I am having my surgery at Memorial Hermann, Sugar Land. My Pre-ops went well yesterday and I will go back for COVID testing on Friday.

To clarify, I'm not on hold because of problems in the Medical Center or anything like that.

I'm having terrible problems with an arthritic hip. I was supposed to get a steroid injection yesterday. Last week, though, I began having some very minor upper respiratory symptoms, so out of an abundance of caution, I went and got a Covid test. Results are supposed to be back today.

Tums out if you ever have a Covid test, you have to have two consecutive tests that are OK before they will let you in the hospital where they do the steroid injections. I worked with the pain doc to reschedule the steroid injection two weeks later, assuming the tests come back negative.

I'm hoping for substantial relief from the steroid shot, because I just can't imagine going through the pain and lifestyle change of the gastric bypass while my hip is hurting so badly.

I'm trying to remain philosophical. My problems are small compared to those who lost a job, for example.

4 hours ago, Groovymommy said:

Thank you @AlwaysCruising! I will definitely update after my appointment this afternoon. Even just getting confirmation that I feel this way because of too few calories would be a comfort. It's better to know than not know, you know? LOL.

Absolutely, not knowing is the worst part. Limbo sucks! Fingers crossed you get answers!

On 6/23/2020 at 5:16 PM, 613cnn said:

They don’t have us tracking but that’s basically the math. 50-60g Protein a day, liquids only. That’s 2 shakes, 320 cal total.

I did one week liquids then could add egg, cottage cheese, and soft Beans for week two. Maybe you should try a poached egg on day 7. I found it to be heaven. Poaching is easy and it's so soft it's like liquid. Might make you feel better.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:22 PM, Round2newme said:

Okay pre ops completed today. I have a COVID test on Friday and surgery on Monday. I pray I can get in with my surgery before Texas stops alternative surgeries. We are having a lot of new COVID cases and I am on Cobra insurance benefits right now to get this done. Ah well. All I can do is hope for the best.

Crossing my fingers for you!!!!

On 6/23/2020 at 5:48 PM, Groovymommy said:

I think this is why I feel like total **** a week after surgery.

poach yourself an egg. just do it.

Hi Gang. An update for those looking ahead. I'm trucking right along. Today is post op day 15. Groovy and 613 I do think sometimes we need to tailor things to our needs. This significant differences in food plans show that there isn't necessarily and black and white way of doing this. I heat up a pan of Water. Just beginning to boil. Not rolling but bubbles at the bottom. Add one TBS vinegar. Stir it around. Then use a slotted spoon and start stirring until you've created a spinning vortex of water. Quickly remove spoon from spinning water and gently pour in an egg (pre-cracked in a shallow dish) in the center and watch it spin. Lower the temp to medium or 5-6 and set timer for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes spoon egg out with slotted spoon and drain. Put in a bowl. You have a runny but warm poached that that is a lot like liquid. Salt, eat small bites and enjoy. I have 2 a day. Plus I blend half a frozen banana to my morning Protein Drink. It adds 14 carbs which is a lot this early and a no-no on my plan. But it has made all the difference in how I feel. I get around 400-500 calories and 50 Protein and 20-25 carbs a day. I don't feel great. But I feel pretty good. I walk every evening. I went to look at a couple houses this morning. I've grocery shopped for a few items. Yesterday was post op day 14 where I'm allowed to add 1-3 oz of soft wet meat 3 times a day. I was too afraid to try anything yesterday but today I mixed a little ground chicken with my cottage cheese. 1 oz chicken 2 oz cottage cheese. It tasted great. I ate it slowly. My last couple bites kind of got stuck in my upper stomach for a few minutes. I walked around the house and just sat still and watched TV for 30 minutes. Felt good afterwards. I'm not getting 64oz of water but maybe 48 oz. I haven't had a normal poop yet. Just diarrhea. My family ordered delivery tonight. I ordered a piece of white fish with lemon. It hasn't arrived yet. I'm going to try a few bites and see. Felt a little light headed today when looking at houses. That was new. I think it means I need to up the water. I hope all this is good news for you guys. I can't imagine 2 weeks of liquids only. But the tasty broths (Thai) with genpro made my one week tolerable. I encourage you to try a soft poached egg. Crossing my fingers for you all. I've only lost 11 pounds in the 2 weeks. Feel ok about that. ONWARD!!

Edited by MaybeMeow

40 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Crossing my fingers for you!!!!

Thank you!!! How is your recovery going. I have been loving your tips. I plan to make me Protein cups this weekend.