Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 9 months post revision to RNY. Things are good and I like the RNY much better then I did the first several months. I am weighing in at 156 this morning. It is much easier for me to maintain this weight then it was for me to stay under 170 with VSG. CRAZY but its true !! I just keep waiting for the ball to drop like what is the catch? I also wonder if there is a honeymoon phase with a revision ?

On 2/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, Tracyringo said:

I am 9 months post revision to RNY. Things are good and I like the RNY much better then I did the first several months. I am weighing in at 156 this morning. It is much easier for me to maintain this weight then it was for me to stay under 170 with VSG. CRAZY but its true !! I just keep waiting for the ball to drop like what is the catch? I also wonder if there is a honeymoon phase with a revision ?

Thanks for sharing all your information. I am scheduled for revision March 16. My original bypass was 11 years ago and will have my pouch made a smidge smaller and further distallize the common channel a little bit for a little malabsorption. I'm so ready!

My only concern is return to work after the revision surgery. I was off 3 weeks with the original. I teach high school and came back for finals week, so had relatively easy days and then another two weeks off for the holidays immediately following that week of work. This time I'm only planning for 2 weeks - pandemic and all has made this school year a whole disaster and don't want to be gone any longer than I must.

How long were you home for recovery? I didn't read all 17 pages of this thread yet - so maybe you mentioned that... but any advice you can offer is most appreciated!

9 hours ago, Tina Leo said:

Thanks for sharing all your information. I am scheduled for revision March 16. My original bypass was 11 years ago and will have my pouch made a smidge smaller and further distallize the common channel a little bit for a little malabsorption. I'm so ready!

My only concern is return to work after the revision surgery. I was off 3 weeks with the original. I teach high school and came back for finals week, so had relatively easy days and then another two weeks off for the holidays immediately following that week of work. This time I'm only planning for 2 weeks - pandemic and all has made this school year a whole disaster and don't want to be gone any longer than I must.

How long were you home for recovery? I didn't read all 17 pages of this thread yet - so maybe you mentioned that... but any advice you can offer is most appreciated!

Speaking for myself it was a harder surgery. Maybe wont be as bad for you since you already have had RNY and I also had a hiatal repair at same time. I looked at my journal and at 2 weeks out I wrote that I only had pain in my right side when coughing or laughing mostly. You will do great !!

Well well well, its been 1 year ago today had had my revision to bypass !! I weighed in this morning at 154 !!!

I still am on my dexilant 60mg for the GERD. I talk half in morning and half at night and it keeps me from burning. I dont see myself ever being able to get off of it at this point but that is okay because my last EDG showed esophagitis D down to an A.

I had so much anxiety about doing this revision because I liked my sleeve so much and I missed the restriction I had with it. I wasnt sure how I would maintain my weight loss without it. Well I will tell you that the dumping has been no joke for me and I have to watch it. I also think my metabolism had to have changed and the malabsorption of calories did something also. I started at 180 the day I had the revision and lost 12lbs that first month. I lost 25lbs around 7 months which was 151lbs total and I started at 311. I have pretty much maintained without too much effort, which I never could have done with VSG. I ate around 800 calories just to stay under 170 !!! I would have gone with RNY to begin with had I known how much easier it would have been for me.

Good luck to all of you on your journey !!

Edited by Tracyringo

Thanks for sharing your story Tracy. Sounds like all is well and you’re learning your new tummy and digestive system. All is well here also. I’m down to 189 and getting my strength back. Worst issue for me is dumping and stomach aches...going to get checked for ulcer to rule it out. Let’s stay in touch.

14 hours ago, GG926 said:

Thanks for sharing your story Tracy. Sounds like all is well and you’re learning your new tummy and digestive system. All is well here also. I’m down to 189 and getting my strength back. Worst issue for me is dumping and stomach aches...going to get checked for ulcer to rule it out. Let’s stay in touch.

Congrats on getting down to Onederland !!! Hoping you dont have an ulcer !!!!! Let me know how it goes......

On 1/25/2021 at 7:08 PM, Tracyringo said:

8 months and 3 days post op. Weight holding steady between 158 and 162 for several months now.

I still have Gerd and am on same PPI before surgery.

No problems with foods as long as I stay away from the things that make me dump violently🤢. Also I have to be minded about the amount or I will get violently ill too.

did you have the revision because of GERD? I'm gathering information prior to my June 17th appt. What makes you dump and how bad is it? Do you throw up, hot flashes or what? Do you think it to be a helpful thing as far as a deterrent? Fats and sweets, do you have to stay totally away or just be very careful? Thank you! Oh, are you still on a PPI? If I have to go this route, I sure hope I can get off of the meds.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:57 PM, Samantha Howard said:

Hey, @Tracyringo I was sleeved on 9/11/18. Lost about 120 pounds then got pregnant and started suffering from serve reflux and lost restriction. I am scheduled for a revision to bypass on 3/29/21. I would love to talk to you about your experience with revision. I am now about 70 pounds heavier than my lowest weight and am dead set to make this a success. Any tips or words of wisdom?

How are you doing? My first appointment with a new bariatric surgeon in in about 3.5 weeks. Sleeved in 2010, indigestion, heartburn, GERD started about 18 months later, progressing to 8 - 10 Tums every single day for years. I had no idea it was a big deal, but it is not safe. I am sure the subject of a revision will come up. Please tell me how you're doing if you have time.

1 hour ago, StratusPhr said:

did you have the revision because of GERD? I'm gathering information prior to my June 17th appt. What makes you dump and how bad is it? Do you throw up, hot flashes or what? Do you think it to be a helpful thing as far as a deterrent? Fats and sweets, do you have to stay totally away or just be very careful? Thank you! Oh, are you still on a PPI? If I have to go this route, I sure hope I can get off of the meds.

Yes. I had esophagitis D..

I have bad episodes with dumping so I do have to be careful. My dumping is intense cramping in the abdomen and I cant vomit, so I usually lay down and cry for a couple of hours. It has gotten better though the episodes are not lasting as long. Very helpful deterrent for sure. I dump on sugary carbs, Cereal of any kind, ice cream, or if I overeat. On occasion I will have a frozen yogurt and seem to do okay with that. I had an obsession with cupcakes and after a meal I can have a few bites. I dont do cupcakes anymore its too much of a waste.

I am still on the same PPI but it works much better now and my esophagitis is an A now, so that is good.

Good luck with your revision. Love to hear what ya think.

45 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

Yes. I had esophagitis D..

I have bad episodes with dumping so I do have to be careful. My dumping is intense cramping in the abdomen and I cant vomit, so I usually lay down and cry for a couple of hours. It has gotten better though the episodes are not lasting as long. Very helpful deterrent for sure. I dump on sugary carbs, Cereal of any kind, ice cream, or if I overeat. On occasion I will have a frozen yogurt and seem to do okay with that. I had an obsession with cupcakes and after a meal I can have a few bites. I dont do cupcakes anymore its too much of a waste.

I am still on the same PPI but it works much better now and my esophagitis is an A now, so that is good.

Good luck with your revision. Love to hear what ya think.

Yikes, that would for sure be a deterrent!! I'm glad it doesn't last as long now. Sugar is definitely a weakness, so I keep things I'd be tempted by, out of the house most of the time.

I'm anxious to see what this doctor says. My surgeon in Dallas retired, we've moved so this is a brand new guy. Thank you for the information!!

I never eat sugar or cereal but I dump daily on regular food. Doesn’t matter what it is...I still dump. My dumping consists of being nauseous, and sleepy. It usually lasts for half hour to 45 min and then I’m new again. I tried Keto frozen yogurt (only had 1/4 cup) and dumped big time that lasted hour plus. I guess this dumping keeps me in check...I don’t know.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, GG926 said:

I’m betting for sure it was the combo of the gravy (probably cooked with too much fat) and the combo of the biscuit due to the bread...too soon for bread for you. Xo

Speaking of bread, is that a problem for RNY patients? I have a friend who's always had a problem with bread since being banded.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, Tracyringo said:

Same here, I cant vomit either. I have problems with coffee and Creamer too sometimes.

Yikes!! Caffeinated or decaff, or does it matter? Creamer? coffee Mate or half and half? I'm in the process of taking myself off caffeinated coffee. I cut out afternoon coffee totally a few weeks ago. If I want a cup I have ONE but only decaff. Fully caffeinated in the mornings, 3 cups. I mixed some decaff with reg ground coffee this morning. Still three cups, baby steps. I'd like to get down to 1/4 reg and 3/4 decaff, or maybe totally decaff if it has any bearing on my GERD, ulcer etc.

3 hours ago, StratusPhr said:

Speaking of bread, is that a problem for RNY patients? I have a friend who's always had a problem with bread since being banded.

I am 9 months out and still have a very hard time with carbs in general. They just sit in my belly like a rock. I eat whole wheat pita bread sometimes but only 1/4-1/2 pc. sometimes I can tolerate it and others not so much. I do not eat rice, potato's, or Pasta. I tried to eat chickpea pasta and didn't really care for it, and it also felt like regular pasta in my belly so I just don't eat them anymore. I thought I would miss it but I really don't.

4 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I am 9 months out and still have a very hard time with carbs in general. They just sit in my belly like a rock. I eat whole wheat pita bread sometimes but only 1/4-1/2 pc. sometimes I can tolerate it and others not so much. I do not eat rice, potato's, or Pasta. I tried to eat chickpea Pasta and didn't really care for it, and it also felt like regular pasta in my belly so I just don't eat them anymore. I thought I would miss it but I really don't.

That's what I like to hear, you don't miss it. When I was off sugar except for natural sugar in an occasional piece of fruit, I did not miss it. I eat sweet stuff more often now, and I have to make myself not give in too often. I'm logging again and my sugar grams per day are sometimes single digit! Thank you!