Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Folks

Hiya fellow august rebirth people

well its been two years for me and i would not change a thing started this journey at 361 lbs i no longer take any meds i excise every day eat for fuel not for comfort or depression any longer the head work has been more important to me than anything dont get me wrong i still have my moments of depression and try to move forward with that and learn from those every day most of the time i am helping others and focusing on them and i have relied on there problems and the fixes for them to help keep me busy and not focus on myself which has been a problem for me always put others ahead of my self (the problem solver) well i see a pattern returning with that .so with that said i really need to stay focused on me first then i can help others .

today i weigh 186 lbs this morning and have a new out look on life the tool i was given has changed me

for the better for me and my future life thanks for giving me a place to not be judged and let out emotions that dont come out of me in person to person conversations i am getting better at letting people in my bubble still not good at it

8 minutes ago, alissajs said:

I’m doing well! I exercise 6 out of 7 days, and that’s so unlike me 😂. I hated exercise before. Don’t love it now, but I do it! Weight is VERY VERY slowly coming off, but still going down so I can’t complain. Inches are coming off. My large shirts are now getting baggy, so I am going out today to buy some mediums 🤯 that still blows my mind.
I went for my 6 month appointment and was told I should be eating more, between 800-1000 calories a day. Still have a big problem reaching that. Most days I can get to 700 but I’ve hit 800 a couple times. I’m getting plenty of Protein, usually 70-80 a day and they want me to get 60. Was also told to start drinking more electrolytes so trying to get more propel and Gatorade zero in. Was having issues getting severely dizzy, and doc thinks it’s from eating too little and not replenishing electrolytes with me working out so often 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ll tell you, never in my life did I think a doctor would tell me to eat more lol
I have way more energy, which is exciting! I feel good about how I look (in clothes at least) but I would still love to lose another 20-30 pounds.

Congratulations!

53 minutes ago, Ostflicka said:

Hey all it's August! Where are we all at in our journeys- our thread is hella dead 😂🤣 Well I myself don't come check in usually either, except every Tuesday on Weigh In days. Do you all have set weigh in days? I weigh in on surgery day, which was a Tuesday. Sometimes I'll step on the scale but I don't "log" it. I try not to make myself crazy though by putting so much pressure on my numbers.

Life is good for me, this Covid thing has really thrown me into working out though. I hike a lot. I don't work so hiking or biking are the only things I really go out of the house for anymore. It's so nice being smaller for hiking - some of the trails I use to hike when I weighed 300 pounds and I'm like I was amazing for doing it. Because now it's so "easy" I've become one of "those" people who can carry on a conversation while hiking - I just hated those people before 🙄🤦‍♀️

My food intake is still strange. The other day I overate - I kind of knew it too. I didn't listen to myself and was like I can have 2 more bites, well NO - you can not have 2 more bites! Those 2 bites threw me into an awfulness I don't want to repeat. The 2 bites were vegetables, I have such a hard time getting in veggies, because I need my Protein. Anyone having difficulty with finding the balance of still eating veggies?

Anyway would love to know how everyone is doing heading into this 7th month. Are you loving your "new" improved Life?

Congratulations! I myself had a little setback. I tore my rotator cuff and had surgery 2 weeks ago. For whatever reason, I have a lot of swelling. I did pick up a few pounds prior to the surgery. Stress eating and worrying. I am getting back on track this week and pray that those 3-4 pounds come off this week. It may just be swelling from the surgery itself. I have begun walking again, but I cant do my regular workout for 3 months. Can't run just yet, another 4 weeks for that.

I had gotten down to 187.6. I was 10 pounds away from first goal!! I don't know why I thought that this weight loss would be easy with the surgery. It is still a lot of work! My goal is to get there before October. I have a problem with my Protein too. I just started adding unflavored Protein Powder to many of my meals.

I have not had any negative effects from over eating. I don't know if I am just not over eating or what. I weigh in on Fridays.

2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Congratulations! I myself had a little setback. I tore my rotator cuff and had surgery 2 weeks ago. For whatever reason, I have a lot of swelling. I did pick up a few pounds prior to the surgery. Stress eating and worrying. I am getting back on track this week and pray that those 3-4 pounds come off this week. It may just be swelling from the surgery itself. I have begun walking again, but I cant do my regular workout for 3 months. Can't run just yet, another 4 weeks for that.

I've had surgery on both cuffs. You'll get through it. Be sure and do your physical therapy. A friend decided it hurt too much to move. His shoulder 'froze up' and he had to have another surgery to 'break it lose'.

Just my experience but I gain weight every time I have surgery. They pump the fluids to you. BTW, I gained over five pounds during my sleeve surgery. It was gone rather quickly.

7 minutes ago, Duke483 said:

I've had surgery on both cuffs. You'll get through it. Be sure and do your physical therapy. A friend decided it hurt too much to move. His shoulder 'froze up' and he had to have another surgery to 'break it lose'.

Just my experience but I gain weight every time I have surgery. They pump the fluids to you. BTW, I gained over five pounds during my sleeve surgery. It was gone rather quickly.

Thank you! I am glad to hear that! Therapy has not been too painful.

3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Thank you! I am glad to hear that! Therapy has not been too painful.

My surgeon is a fanatic about therapy. Three days prior to surgery, you have to call and tell his nurse where/when your first appointment for therapy will be. It must be within three days of surgery. His nurse confirms your therapy. He will cancel your surgery unless you comply.

Doing well! Hit another stall over the last 2 weeks and counting. This is my 3rd one so it's old hat now. I'm just sticking to the process and it'll keep coming off. Otherwise I feel great. My shoulder is acting up a bit. I had surgery too A few years ago for a torn rotator cuff, labrum, and had the end of my collarbone cut off because it was impinging on my ac joint. Rehab was difficult. I've been hitting the gym hard so it might be time for a cortisone shot.

Hiya fellow august rebirth people
well its been two years for me and i would not change a thing started this journey at 361 lbs i no longer take any meds i excise every day eat for fuel not for comfort or depression any longer the head work has been more important to me than anything dont get me wrong i still have my moments of depression and try to move forward with that and learn from those every day most of the time i am helping others and focusing on them and i have relied on there problems and the fixes for them to help keep me busy and not focus on myself which has been a problem for me always put others ahead of my self (the problem solver) well i see a pattern returning with that .so with that said i really need to stay focused on me first then i can help others .
today i weigh 186 lbs this morning and have a new out look on life the tool i was given has changed me
for the better for me and my future life thanks for giving me a place to not be judged and let out emotions that dont come out of me in person to person conversations i am getting better at letting people in my bubble still not good at it
Hello All, I've been out of touch as I hurt my shoulder back in Feb. Have been continuing Physical therapy for my broken patella (broke in 1/2 last year June) Finally able to see Dr. about my shoulder in May, had to schedule surgery 7/9. Today is 4 weeks post op on shoulder and 7 months 1 week post op for sleeve surgery. I'm now in a full arm cast for the past 4 weeks....2 more weeks to go(hopefully, Dr. said may need 8 weeks).
I've lost 41 lbs. to date. Been a bit rough with stalls I've had and junk eating during height of covid-19.
My biggest problem is getting my veggies in. I average 40-50g Protein and 40-48 ounces Water a day. Had bloodwork done, my Cholesterol went up!! I've never had high cholesterol! Good news blood sugar went down. Dr. took me off metformin. Soooo happy about that. Since I had my shoulder surgery, had to cancel 6 month post op with stomach Dr. I'm trying to work on getting Cholesterol down before I see him.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also, congratulations [emoji322][emoji324][emoji322][emoji324][emoji322] to everyone who's doing so well. I've read all the posts a b d seems like its going good for all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

44 minutes ago, Mitsu531 said:

Hello All, I've been out of touch as I hurt my shoulder back in Feb. Have been continuing Physical therapy for my broken patella (broke in 1/2 last year June) Finally able to see Dr. about my shoulder in May, had to schedule surgery 7/9. Today is 4 weeks post op on shoulder and 7 months 1 week post op for sleeve surgery. I'm now in a full arm cast for the past 4 weeks....2 more weeks to go(hopefully, Dr. said may need 8 weeks).
I've lost 41 lbs. to date. Been a bit rough with stalls I've had and junk eating during height of covid-19.
My biggest problem is getting my veggies in. I average 40-50g Protein and 40-48 ounces Water a day. Had bloodwork done, my Cholesterol went up!! I've never had high cholesterol! Good news blood sugar went down. Dr. took me off metformin. Soooo happy about that. Since I had my shoulder surgery, had to cancel 6 month post op with stomach Dr. I'm trying to work on getting Cholesterol down before I see him.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also, congratulations to everyone who's doing so well. I've read all the posts a b d seems like its going good for all.

Just trust the process. I am sure that you have lost more than that. You probably still have some swelling. Just stick as close to the eating guidelines as possible. Have you though about doing liquids for a week to try to reset? We have all come so far...

I just had shoulder surgery, Dr. went in to repair 2 tears and look at a third. Well, the third wound up being a completely detached bicep tendon!! So unexpected! Dr. was talking about it for a few days afterwards. Complete surprise, and a full arm cast later.... Since I was unable to see a Dr. for a few months due to Covid-19, my shoulder froze as well. So I had the 2 tears repaired, Bicep tendon reattached with a screw, a few Bone spurs ground off, arthritis removed and the frozen shoulder worked on. PT has been rough, but need to do it and deal as I don't want to have to go under again to undo frozen shoulder.

Just trust the process. I am sure that you have lost more than that. You probably still have some swelling. Just stick as close to the eating guidelines as possible. Have you though about doing liquids for a week to try to reset? We have all come so far...
Yes, I've thought about it. I'll probably try it and do a restart. Thank you[emoji846]

1 hour ago, Mitsu531 said:

I just had shoulder surgery, Dr. went in to repair 2 tears and look at a third. Well, the third wound up being a completely detached bicep tendon!! So unexpected! Dr. was talking about it for a few days afterwards. Complete surprise, and a full arm cast later.... Since I was unable to see a Dr. for a few months due to Covid-19, my shoulder froze as well. So I had the 2 tears repaired, Bicep tendon reattached with a screw, a few Bone spurs ground off, arthritis removed and the frozen shoulder worked on. PT has been rough, but need to do it and deal as I don't want to have to go under again to undo frozen shoulder.

That's very much like my last shoulder. My first shoulder was very easy. All with the 'scope'. That was in 2010. In 2016, I needed to do the other shoulder. I expected, the doc told me, it would be 'scope', three small snips again. I woke up with the three small snips and a full filet cut across the top of my shoulder. Doc. said he was surprised to find that my tendons were in such good shape they could be repaired. And, OBTW, he said, I fixed your torn biceps too. That's why the filet. No problems since. All in all, I've had both cuffs, two neck fusions, and had all four tendons in my right hand had to be reattached. (I know a lot of docs.) I've been told I lead an active life.

I'm 74. I've lost 75 pounds since January. I'm down to 205. I walk 3 miles a day. I spend an hour and a half six days a week lifting weights. I spend a couple of hours a day playing/practicing my golf game. I could do none of those things before my sleeve. My BP was 165/80 with two pills per day. No meds now and it's 130/60. My resting heart beat is in the mid 50s. Not bad for an old guy.

I meet with the doc in two weeks for my six month check up. He's probably going to push for me to lose another 40 pounds. I don't know. I would be satisfied with another ten or fifteen.

I am glad to hear everyone is doing well, sorry to hear about those that have had to have additional surgeries. I hope you all heal up quickly and get to enjoy the new lives you've worked so hard for.

I am doing really well. I weigh in on Saturdays since I think to do it first thing in the morning on the first day of the weekend. I'm currently sitting at 180.2. Been two weeks now and I'm really excited you break into the 170s.

I am sticking to a workout routine for the first time in my life. It's amazing how much easier it is to exercise than it used to be. No wonder skinny people do it so often! I'm working out an hour a day, 5 days a week with rest days on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The hour is made up of 40 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of muscle work.

I can see I'm definitely going to have loose skin on my thighs, upper arms, and maybe my stomach so I'm not super pumped about that, but again seems like a small price to pay for what I can do now. I won't be stopping till I hit at least 140 and if I get there and feel comfortable, ill either stop or keep going. (I'm pretty short)

I struggle with some of my old sugar addiction, but I feel more prepared to handle it now and get back on track. Hoping the next 5 months are icing on this 7 month cake:)

Hey everyone

I can’t imagine the new me. I weigh on Mondays. Got no more of gout and my acid reflux is super low. No medications at all for awhile now. Used to be about 245lbs and now 145.5. Never thought I’ll ever be there. I should start working out soon. The best thing is no craving at all. And the trick I’m doing for that is whatever I want to eat or drink, I go and get couple tiny bites/sips and that’s it (I’m loosing weight with that without any stalls) Water consumption is getting better, now I have couple choices for water. I ate almost all types of foods so far, but do not prefer sugary foods, and carbs such as rice, noodles, french fries ..etc. they make me feel full and I feel like I didn’t eat anything that adds value to me. And guess what everybody, I’m wearing small sizes from XXL and 30w skinny jeans from 44w regular. Energy levels are high. The only thing That gotten worse from before surgery is the dizziness I get when I suddenly stand up, but that’s still no big deal comparing to the benefit of being fit and living normal

14 hours ago, Zyad said:

Hey everyone

I can’t imagine the new me. I weigh on Mondays. Got no more of gout and my acid reflux is super low. No medications at all for awhile now. Used to be about 245lbs and now 145.5. Never thought I’ll ever be there. I should start working out soon. The best thing is no craving at all. And the trick I’m doing for that is whatever I want to eat or drink, I go and get couple tiny bites/sips and that’s it (I’m loosing weight with that without any stalls) Water consumption is getting better, now I have couple choices for Water. I ate almost all types of foods so far, but do not prefer sugary foods, and carbs such as rice, noodles, french fries ..etc. they make me feel full and I feel like I didn’t eat anything that adds value to me. And guess what everybody, I’m wearing small sizes from XXL and 30w skinny jeans from 44w regular. Energy levels are high. The only thing That gotten worse from before surgery is the dizziness I get when I suddenly stand up, but that’s still no big deal comparing to the benefit of being fit and living normal

Checked your blood pressure lately? The dizziness on standing is fairly common when you're blood pressure has dropped into the normal ranges. Just be sure and don't get up suddenly. Some have passed out. I was taking two blood pressure pills, now none. My BP has dropped from 170/80 to 130/60. My resting heart rate is now in the low/mid 50s.