Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Wow. My plastics guy said I have to be at my stable weight for 6 months before I can even discuss it with him?

My consult is on the 16th. My surgeon's office gave the okay for plastic surgery at 13 months, so I don't think he will have an issue with it. He doesn't typically work with bariatric patients, so I don't think he will have an opinion - especially since my bariatric office said it's fine. I want to schedule it the week of November 18th.

Edited by mousecat88

How did you guys pick a goal weight? Did you just go off the BMI chart? Did your surgeon set one for you? Did you take into consideration intensity of weight-lifting or anything like that? Ehhhhh.

My trainer who abandoned me (lol) until November scheduled me on August 26th in the morning because I have off work that day. I think I may hold off on weighing until then, and see. And get his opinion on it, too.

I weigh myself every day but my dietititian would prefer I do it once a week (she said I get too obsessed with the number on the scale). However, in the past the weight always crept back on if I stopped weighing myself. Before I knew it, I'd be up 20 or 30 or 40 lbs. So maybe cut back on the frequency - but I wouldn't stop weighing altogether. But I am me and you are you...

with plastic surgery, don't forget that many people have a 10-20 lb bounce back after they hit their lowest weight. Your plastic surgery work can be affected if you gain or lose more than 10 lbs, so many surgeons recommend you be at a stable weight for 6-12 months before doing it. I've gained 12 lbs since I hit bottom (and have come to terms with my higher weight - I'm still within a normal BMI range and admittedly look better at this weight). So I'm glad I waited - although maybe 12 lbs wouldn't have made much difference...

3 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

with plastic surgery, don't forget that many people have a 10-20 lb bounce back after they hit their lowest weight. Your plastic surgery work can be affected if you gain or lose more than 10 lbs, so many surgeons recommend you be at a stable weight for 6-12 months before doing it. I've gained 12 lbs since I hit bottom (and have come to terms with my higher weight - I'm still within a normal BMI range and admittedly look better at this weight). So I'm glad I waited - although maybe 12 lbs wouldn't have made much difference...

Yeah, I just can't take the arm skin anymore. I would have a second surgery (probably just Lipo at that point) if the skin drooped more in the future. I'm not opposed to multiple plastic surgeries, even on the same spots, if need be.

Edited by mousecat88

41 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Is the weight I'm at okay if I like it?

Yes.

I think you're rushing. Most people don't analytically "choose". It's a balance and happens pretty organically...

27 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

How did you guys pick a goal weight? Did you just go off the BMI chart? Did your surgeon set one for you? Did you take into consideration intensity of weight-lifting or anything like that? Ehhhhh.

My surgeon did not set a goal weight for me. He just told me to expect to get to around 160-170 lbs by my one year anniversary.

I personally initially chose 120 because it was in the middle-ish of the healthy BMI range for my height.

Decided to stop at 127 instead because I was thinking I was getting too small.

I'm at 114-ish today. Go Figure.

Edit: Adding that I also have an arm lift scheduled for mid-December (which I booked/placed deposit on almost 2 months ago)..I will be about 14 months post op come surgery day. My PS surgeon at the time of consult told me that a weight loss of 10-15+ lbs is more problematic than the same amount in weight gain after surgery. I've lost 13 lbs since I saw him last, and I am thinking I may gain that back as part of the regular bounce back after getting to lowest weight. I see him again in September, we'll see what he says then.

Edited by ms.sss

27 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

My trainer who abandoned me (lol) until November scheduled me on August 26th in the morning because I have off work that day. I think I may hold off on weighing until then, and see. And get his opinion on it, too.

Last time I had a major weight loss I landed at 175 and couldn't get any lower so I picked that. But I'm bigger now than I was then due to a back injury that keeps me from doing interval training like I used to. But I also feel like I could slowly slide down to 150 now... the only thing that would concern me is if I started gaining more than a couple of pounds. My doctor thinks 175 is fine, 150 is fine, it's all good.

16 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I think you're rushing. Most people don't analytically "choose". It's a balance and happens pretty organically...

Oh, I know. I just meant like... on people's tickers. Where did that figure come from.

Yes, your weight is ok. This is a forever lifestyle. Keep being your awesome self. Work your plan and hit your fitness goals. You mentioned becoming a personal trainer, right??? What would you tell a client that is stressing about the scale?

You are putting a lot of pressure on yourself to hit a number. Is it anxiety from your upcoming plastics or your October one-year mark? You don’t have to pick a goal weight right now.

16 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Oh, I know. I just meant like... on people's tickers. Where did that figure come from.

I think if you feel good in your skin, that's the ultimate goal. But feeling good in our skin, isn't an overnight thing...it can take some us a while to get used to it and to see ourselves accurately and when that happens we might want to lose more or regain some weight until we are where we want to be.

I did mine in an analytical way using the charts/graphs/definitions my surgeon's office used to send to the insurance. She (my surgeon) never gave me a target weight, but I saw it in my chart--and I blew past her target within the first 6 months.

Here's how I figured out my weight.

Goal 1 (Totally arbitrary and based on what I weighed as a senior in high school) = 150lbs

Goal 2 (Based on BMI chart for AVERAGE women. :) I'm totally boringly average so the chart works for me but may not work for you or other people who are super women. :) I chose it cuz it's almost smack in the middle of NORMAL WEIGHT and I knew I did not have this surgery to be satisfied with anything less than "NORMAL WEIGHT") = 140lbs

heightweightchartwomen.JPG.171dbeb1d8cb6a236cd7658d34682202.JPG

Goal 3 (Based on being stubborn and looking at how my thighs and booty still look after I reached 140lbs. I posited that I still had a good 20 extra pounds of fat hanging around my body and that I didn't really need it. It's non-essential, so why not lose another 10lbs and try to get to my all-time "silver tuna goal"?) = 130lbs (this is proving very frustrating to reach)

Goal 4 = Secret Barbie DreamGirl Goal (I doubt barring sickness, that I will ever see this number, but I still am pushing toward it for some reason.) = 125lbs

My surgeon's goal for me was 160lbs. Here is how THEY calculated it.

1. They use this formula to define "IDEAL" weight (which they all admit is not a realistic formula for modern-day women):

100lbs for the 1st 5 feet + 5lbs for every inch over 5 feet | So for a 5'4" woman my IDEAL wt was defined as 120lbs

2. Calculate EBW (Excess Body Weight) = Weight (day of surgery) - IDEAL wt = EBW | So mine was 222-120 = 102lbs EBW

3. Calculate % of expected EBW that will be lost as a result of the surgery and honeymoon phase of diet. = 102lbs X 65% (RNY per my surgeon's office) = 66lbs of expected loss of EBW

4. Calculate target weight = Weight (day of surgery) - 66lbs of expected loss = 156lbs which she rounded up to 160lbs.

So, as it happened, my Goal 1 weight was very close to their calculations of expected loss of % EBW for RNY surgery. This morning I weighed 134.4lbs.

Edited by FluffyChix

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I think if you feel good in your skin, that's the ultimate goal. But feeling good in our skin, isn't an overnight thing...it can take some us a while to get used to it and to see ourselves accurately and when that happens we might want to lose more or regain some weight until we are where we want to be.

I did mine in an analytical way using the charts/graphs/definitions my surgeon's office used to send to the insurance. She (my surgeon) never gave me a target weight, but I saw it in my chart--and I blew past her target within the first 6 months.

Here's how I figured out my weight.

Goal 1 (Totally arbitrary and based on what I weighed as a senior in high school) = 150lbs

Goal 2 (Based on BMI chart for AVERAGE women. :) I'm totally boringly average so the chart works for me but may not work for you or other people who are super women. :) I chose it cuz it's almost smack in the middle of NORMAL WEIGHT and I knew I did not have this surgery to be satisfied with anything less than "NORMAL WEIGHT") = 140lbs

heightweightchartwomen.JPG.171dbeb1d8cb6a236cd7658d34682202.JPG

Goal 3 (Based on being stubborn and looking at how my thighs and booty still look after I reached 140lbs. I posited that I still had a good 20 extra pounds of fat hanging around my body and that I didn't really need it. It's non-essential, so why not lose another 10lbs and try to get to my all-time "silver tuna goal"?) = 130lbs (this is proving very frustrating to reach)

Goal 4 = Secret Barbie DreamGirl Goal (I doubt barring sickness, that I will ever see this number, but I still am pushing toward it for some reason.) = 125lbs

1. They use this formula to define "IDEAL" weight (which they all admit is not a realistic formula for modern-day women):

100lbs for the 1st 5 feet + 5lbs for every inch over 5 feet | So for a 5'4" woman my IDEAL wt was defined as 120lbs

2. Calculate EBW (Excess Body Weight) = Weight (day of surgery) - IDEAL wt = EBW | So mine was 222-120 = 102lbs EBW

3. Calculate % of expected EBW that will be lost as a result of the surgery and honeymoon phase of diet. = 102lbs X 65% (RNY per my surgeon's office) = 66lbs of expected loss of EBW

4. Calculate target weight = Weight (day of surgery) - 66lbs of expected loss = 156lbs which she rounded up to 160lbs.

So, as it happened, my Goal 1 weight was very close to their calculations of expected loss of % EBW for RNY surgery. This morning I weighed 134.4lbs.

FluffyChix - you may want to consider getting a DEXAscan to see how much of that "fat" is actually "fat". I had one at 146 lbs - when I thought I still had about 20 lbs to go. Nope. My body fat was 22% - normal, but definitely on the low side for a female my height. That "fat" I had was just loose skin. The technician - and my PCP who saw the results - said it was time to stop losing weight (I did go down to 138 after that, which even I admit was too low for me, but in retrospect I'm glad I did because over the next year I gradually put on 12 lbs ("bounce back") and now am at a healthy 150 (give or take a couple of pounds depending on the day).

anyway, the scans they do at medical clinics only measure bone density - not body composition. But there are commercial places - as well as sports labs at universities - that measure both. I paid around $150 for mine - but you may find lower prices at a university. I found it very worthwhile as I thought before I had it that I still had a ways to go. Nope.

5 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

FluffyChix - you may want to consider getting a DEXAscan to see how much of that "fat" is actually "fat". I had one at 146 lbs - when I thought I still had about 20 lbs to go. Nope. My body fat was 22% - normal, but definitely on the low side for a female my height. That "fat" I had was just loose skin. The technician - and my PCP who saw the results - said it was time to stop losing weight (I did go down to 138 after that, which even I admit was too low for me, but in retrospect I'm glad I did because over the next year I gradually put on 12 lbs ("bounce back") and now am at a healthy 150 (give or take a couple of pounds depending on the day).

anyway, the scans they do at medical clinics only measure bone density - not body composition. But there are commercial places - as well as sports labs at universities - that measure both. I paid around $150 for mine - but you may find lower prices at a university. I found it very worthwhile as I thought before I had it that I still had a ways to go. Nope.

Thanks for this! Congrats on doing yours and being at 22% Wow! Congrats on being at 150lbs with your bounce. So what size do you wear? Are you totes happy with your body now?

Yeah, you know I promised myself I would do a DEXA when I hit 140lbs. But never did it cuz the $150 price tag seemed so extravagant. So I rationalized that based on my booty, I still needed at least another 10lbs before I had to "worry about getting a DEXA". $150 is about the going rate here in Houston. I have seen groupons for less, so I need to try to catch one on there.

LOL. But getting down to 135lbs has been super duper hard. LOL. And has taken a great amount of time/effort and wicked feats of strength. I'm starting to think that even being 130lbs may be beyond my abilities. :( Crap. Right? So I'm leaning more and more towards a scan. I'm thinking it will be a birthday present. ;)

14 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Thanks for this! Congrats on doing yours and being at 22% Wow! Congrats on being at 150lbs with your bounce. So what size do you wear? Are you totes happy with your body now?

thinking it will be a birthday present. ;)

at first I wasn't happy being back at 150 (I wanted to see those 130s again!!), but my PCP said to try to stay within the 140-160 range because 130s were way too low for me. My normal BMI range goes up to 154 (I'm 5'6"), so I'm within the normal range. I've come to accept it and admit it's probably a good weight for me. I have a large frame and am pretty muscular (according to the DEXA scan, my muscles alone weigh 117 lbs), so the upper end of a normal BMI range does make sense given my body composition. Plus it's not too difficult to maintain at this weight. I think it would have been a constant battle to remain in the 130s. My body was just not comfortable with that - and given my fat percentage was 22% at 146 lbs, that percentage would have been lower in the 130s - so I can see why my body wasn't happy!! (plus I am almost 60 years old - lots of PCP's - including mine - prefer their older adults to be in the 23-27 BMI range to give them a little "cushion" in case they get sick. I'm at a 24 BMI now).

as far as clothes, I wear a M/L (depending on manufacturer) or a 12, usually. At 138 I could get into some 10's and most M's, but no smaller. These big a** bones and broad shoulders just aren't going to get into anything much smaller. The bones are in the way. I envy these people who can fit into a size 6 or 8 at 150 lbs, but there's no way I could do that, not even after plastic surgery (which I've had). BUT......M/L and size 12 are pretty normal sizes, after all...

45 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Hmm. That would make my target weight 174lbs, which is sorta what they said. They just said "160s or 170s at best". That's not taking into consideration any exercise. Mathhhh in the morniinnnggg.