Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, my "goal weight" I personally set to 140 because that's how much I weighed about 9 years ago and what I thought would be good-looking. I am in the 150s now and just hovering between the same 3lbs. I could be in a stall or possibly just this is my equilibrium. Either way, I am two sizes smaller than I was when I was 140, probably due to lean muscle rather than fat.

So, I've decided to stop weighing myself entirely. I feel like I was/am obsessed with getting to "a number" and not actually looking at how I look and feel (or taking into consideration muscle mass versus body fat).

Have any of you just stopped weighing? Is that dangerous? Should I still keep tabs on "the number"?

I am still considered overweight on the BMI - but I am definitely "smaller" than I was at 140, which is a "healthy weight". My surgeon's office has no opinion, because they thought I'd only get to the 160s or 170s. I'm also having skin removal in 3 months, which may shave off a few pounds anyways.

Edited by mousecat88

I keep my eye on the scale weekly. Its probably unnecessary at this point in my journey, but I want to keep in the habit of doing it because when I was preop and ignored the scale that's when 10-20 pounds always snuck up on me.

1 minute ago, KCgirl061 said:

I keep my eye on the scale weekly. Its probably unnecessary at this point in my journey, but I want to keep in the habit of doing it because when I was preop and ignored the scale that's when 10-20 pounds always snuck up on me.

I just started getting really obsessive and weighing daily. And the last 2 weeks I've been bouncing from 156 to 158 and it has been DRIVING ME INSANE, so I just want to reject the thing entirely. lolll.

Maybe bi-weekly would be ok... ? I get SO hung up on numbers.

Just now, mousecat88 said:

I just started getting really obsessive and weighing daily. And the last 2 weeks I've been bouncing from 156 to 158 and it has been DRIVING ME INSANE, so I just want to reject the thing entirely. lolll.

Yeah I get it but if your weight sneaks up to 160 then 163 then 165 and you aren't getting on the scale so you don't notice it....

2 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Maybe bi-weekly would be ok... ? I get SO hung up on numbers.

Sure, just don't ignore it entirely!

I think you have to work out what makes YOU feel in control. And anything else is either rationalization, or giving in to other people's or "right". LOL. I'd be nuts without daily accountability. i'd much rather "eat super duper spiffy today" to take off 1-2lbs scale bounce of Water, than not weigh for 1/2 week and have to deal with 5lbs. (yes it happens).

So I'm a daily weigher and damn proud of it. hehe

Just now, FluffyChix said:

I think you have to work out what makes YOU feel in control. And anything else is either rationalization, or giving in to other people's or "right". LOL. I'd be nuts without daily accountability. i'd much rather "eat super duper spiffy today" to take off 1-2lbs scale bounce of Water, than not weigh for 1/2 week and have to deal with 5lbs. (yes it happens).

So I'm a daily weigher and damn proud of it. hehe

I think I am in a funk because of the hovering I am experiencing right now and the fact I have a plastic surgery consult next week. I was "hoping" to get to 140 by November, which is still possible but.... is it necessary. I am smaller than I was at 140. 140 was just an arbitrary number I pulled out my butt. Is the weight I am at okay. I don't knowww.

I just sent this panicky quotation laden message to my surgeon... LOL " " "" "" " " " ""

" Do I have a goal weight? No one has discussed this with me. I arbitrarily set it at 140 because that's what I remember "looking good at", except now I am at 156 and 2 sizes smaller than I was at 140 because I have much more muscle mass... but the BMI says I am still "overweight". How do I know when I am "done" losing weight or where should my target be? Is it okay I am still "overweight" since the BMI chart doesn't take into consideration body fat percentage?? I have a consult for skin removal next week and want it done at the end of November. Should I stress about "getting to 140lbs"? "

9 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I just sent this panicky quotation laden message to my surgeon... LOL " " "" "" " " " ""

" Do I have a goal weight? No one has discussed this with me. I arbitrarily set it at 140 because that's what I remember "looking good at", except now I am at 156 and 2 sizes smaller than I was at 140 because I have much more muscle mass... but the BMI says I am still "overweight". How do I know when I am "done" losing weight or where should my target be? Is it okay I am still "overweight" since the BMI chart doesn't take into consideration body fat percentage?? I have a consult for skin removal next week and want it done at the end of November. Should I stress about "getting to 140lbs"? "

Try not to let your upcoming plastic surgery dictate what you "should" weigh. You have done so amazing. Its been great to see how you progressed. Give yourself credit for where you are at this moment. Never forget how you felt at 286. Weight loss still happens after plastics and years out. Stalls suck. The scale will move again.

I understand your frustration. You are building muscle so be kind to yourself when you step on the scale. It’s a personal choice in how much you want weigh. If the scale is affecting your mood, weigh yourself less. The goal is healthy not chasing the number on the scale.

I want plastics photos! *smile* I'm excited for you.

31 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I think I am in a funk because of the hovering I am experiencing right now and the fact I have a plastic surgery consult next week. I was "hoping" to get to 140 by November, which is still possible but.... is it necessary. I am smaller than I was at 140. 140 was just an arbitrary number I pulled out my butt. Is the weight I am at okay. I don't knowww.

What are you thinking of for the Plastic Surgery? I had a Tummy Tuck a year after my sleeve in 1999. I hoping I didnt do to much damage! I think you are stressing to much on the number, rather than how you feel. You are doing fantastic!

42 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Wow. My plastics guy said I have to be at my stable weight for 6 months before I can even discuss it with him? Congrats on your schedule! We want piccys!!! I would personally just want to get to my forever goal before adding that kind of pressure on myself, cuz maintenance is gonna be hard enough. You know? ((hugs))

140 is just a number. Like the others have said, go with how you feel.

I’m also a daily weigher...as I like to keep an eye on things, but that’s just me. If the weighing is giving you stress/anxiety , step back a little.

You have done phenomenally!

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Wow. My plastics guy said I have to be at my stable weight for 6 months before I can even discuss it with him? Congrats on your schedule! We want piccys!!! I would personally just want to get to my forever goal before adding that kind of pressure on myself, cuz maintenance is gonna be hard enough. You know? ((hugs))

I don't know what my forever goal is supposed to be? lol. I guess that's my issue. Like, what am I supposed to get to. Is the weight I'm at okay if I like it?

2 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

What are you thinking of for the plastic surgery? I had a Tummy Tuck a year after my sleeve in 1999. I hoping I didnt do to much damage! I think you are stressing to much on the number, rather than how you feel. You are doing fantastic!

I am getting a Tummy Tuck, arm lift, and skin removal from my "side boob". He did a breast reduction in 2017 and said the side boob area was fat and would go away when I lost weight.... which it did not whatsoever. LOL.