Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are my sheets all bunched up beneath me? Oh wait, that's just my butt

So I'm 13 days away from my 6 month anniversary and I'm 114 pounds down.

I have to ask...how do y'all deal with the excess skin?

I sometimes sit down and I feel like I sat on a throw someone left on the sofa. I lay down in bed and sometimes I have to lift my butt and pull my skin out so it's flat. When I brush my teeth my upper arms applaud me as they slap against my armpits.

I realize that without a skin removal surgery it's something we have to live with, but for those who are a year or two out, and haven't had a reduction surgery, does your skin firm up on its own at all?

I haven't lost enough weight to have that problem yet but I'm using a firming cream/lotion to try to help it as much as possible as I lose the weight.

Me too, I got some and maybe I am deluding myself but I think it is helping. The contortions I have to go through to slather it on, it should qualify for exercise.

Oh, man! I so get you on the "feel like I'm sitting on a sheet" feeling! It's soooo annoying.

Mine did not and will not. Whether it does for you depends on a few factors. Genetics plays a big part, the amount of time you were obese and how obese you were also plays a part. Age plays a part.

When I lost 112 naturally in my early 20s the only loose skin I had was on my arms. In my thirties and 191 lost from my highest, there is no bounce back and it is everywhere. And you can tell the quality of the skin has changed---its thin and crepey. In my 20s this was not the case.

So yes, it can bounce back but all stars must align.

Ha! Constantly!

Good times, right? Short answer is "it may" a little bit. Mine has. But it took the fat being completely emptied out of the skin in that area for the skin to grasp...oh! Lemme go short on Protein a few days and I'll use some of this turkey skin to recycle protein. :)

Congrats on your successes!

1 hour ago, MikeIL said:

So I'm 13 days away from my 6 month anniversary and I'm 114 pounds down.

I have to ask...how do y'all deal with the excess skin?

I sometimes sit down and I feel like I sat on a throw someone left on the sofa. I lay down in bed and sometimes I have to lift my butt and pull my skin out so it's flat. When I brush my teeth my upper arms applaud me as they slap against my armpits.

I realize that without a skin removal surgery it's something we have to live with, but for those who are a year or two out, and haven't had a reduction surgery, does your skin firm up on its own at all?

ok your title LITERALLY made me LOL and I am at work!

Yes with age it gets harder to deal with but I've heard if you can to some situps etc it may help I'm not sure though

Mikell,
First congratulations on your weight loss.
I have lost 87 from sleeve and hoping for approval for the RNY revision asap because my reflux is killing me.
Anyway my arms are like BAT wings flapping in the air. I absolutely hate it and my biggest fear was excessive skin just hanging off me.
Actually some pretty bad nightmares about the extra skin just lagging behind my body as I vwalk.
Thank God I haven't and hopefully don't get to that point. Lol
Anyway yeah I feel ya!!
Still another 90 lbs i have to loose so if you find any answers please share them.
Allie in SC

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

The excess skin is a huge fear of mine. Hopefully age is on my side if that even matters and enough exercise with the excess skin issue. Even though your underarm flaps applaud you when you brush your teeth I do too (with my hands) for the 100+ wl.

The excess skin is a huge fear of mine. Hopefully age is on my side if that even matters and enough exercise with the excess skin issue. Even though your underarm flaps applaud you when you brush your teeth I do too (with my hands) for the 100+ wl.
Yeah I haven't been able to exercise at all since my surgery due to other health issues. So exercise is a great way to tone up the skin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I've been cleared for light exercise.....nothing strenuous on my core (abdomen) though.

I was painting the other day and found out how incredibly annoying it is to paint while your arm is flapping. I work out 5 days a week and Im trying to build muscle in my arms but that flabby stuff is pretty persistent. I still have hope it'll firm up. My butt also looks like a balloon someone deflated. Trying to build up some muscles in the gym but it's pretty slow going

ok your title LITERALLY made me LOL and I am at work!
Me too, not going to lie!!![emoji1][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app