Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I gave up my sugar free in 5th day post op

Hi, in my pre op stage I purchased a lot of sugar free popsicle, Jello etc. Someone said don't buy so much, of course I didn't listen. I was doing good until after my surgery I tried my best to eat that sugar free I just couldn't. My 5th day post op I'm dehydrated. If I didn't eat regular popsicles and regular jello and drinking tea and lemonad. I would be back in the Hospital. I only have one kidney, that's working at 80%. I had to look at the whole picture the reason why I was going to the dietitian and sugar free diet was to shrink my liver. I'm over that stage now I'm trying to heal from surgery. I'm not worried about losing weight right now, that will come later. My doctor has me on 4wks light duty. That's the time I'm using to discover my relationship with food. Come up with a prep my food and excercise plan. I know some may not agree what I'm doing. I have to customize my weight loss journey for myself.

My pureed stage starts in 3 days that's when I will go back to diet drink because my liquids stage is over.

Now I have zero Powerade and sugar free items. I'm going to give away to my dietitian for patients. I'm so happy about this community we are learning together.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm sorry you're dehydrated. But regular popsicles and Jello, lemonade have a lot of sugar. That is universally highly discouraged, if not out right banned post WLS.

I'd really encourage you to find another way to get hydration. You don't want to work against this amazing tool you now have.

Our bodies react to high consumption of sugar, and the kidneys react too. Sugar makes the pancreas pump out insulin in response, so the liver isn't the only organ affected by sugar/carbs. Do some reading. And your taste buds getting accostumed to all that sugar makes you just want more sugar.

Is it the taste of artificial sweetners that made you not drink liquids? Try broth or tea instead.

I'm sorry you're dehydrated. But regular popsicles and Jello, lemonade have a lot of sugar. That is universally highly discouraged, if not out right banned post WLS.
I'd really encourage you to find another way to get hydration. You don't want to work against this amazing tool you now have.
It's only until for my first stage. I use splenda in my lemonade. I drink 8 oz of regular tea I know it's not popular but I had to do what can help me get through this stage. I might have regreats later but now I don't.

What everyone else already said. Be careful with your high sugar intake.... really is a bad idea and I’m sure there are other alternatives your can try? Hate to see you have surgery and then go backward after hard work.
Good luck

So what are you going to be drinking during the purée stage?
I certainly would restrict intake of sugar but to each their own.
Good luck.
My pureed stage will be yogurt, fish, chicken avocado etc.(that's on my plan) I will be able to have more than liquids. I have diet drinks that I will drink. Remember I'm only doing 8 oz of reg tea a day to help me. I was to weak I'm sure my team would have agreed with me instead of me passing out of low sugar I had to what I needed to do. I know this is not heard of doing this is my journey I'm not promoting to give into sugar just sharing my experiences.

Our bodies react to high consumption of sugar, and the kidneys react too. Sugar makes the pancreas pump out insulin in response, so the liver isn't the only organ affected by sugar/carbs. Do some reading. And your taste buds getting accostumed to all that sugar makes you just want more sugar.
Is it the taste of artificial sweetners that made you not drink liquids? Try broth or tea instead.
I'm drinking broth etc. I don't want more more sugar. I just trying to get through my liquids stage. It's funny my pre op I had no problems I did everything sugar free everything and loss 30lbs in the process. The key was I was drinking over a gallon of liquids a day. Just to drink 8 oz drink takes a while.I understand how it may look it hard for anyone to understand.

What everyone else already said. Be careful with your high sugar intake.... really is a bad idea and I’m sure there are other alternatives your can try? Hate to see you have surgery and then go backward after hard work.
Good luck
I'm doing great moving forward I do understand everyone concerns.

You can look for other substitutes that are not sugar chemical derivatives specifically things that contain stevia, erythritol, Reb A

or

no sugar or substitutes at all, but work closely with your teams for the best outcomes!

You can look for other substitutes that are not sugar chemical derivatives specifically things that contain stevia, erythritol, Reb A
or
no sugar or substitutes at all, but work closely with your teams for the best outcomes!
Thanks

I know that everyone is different, but by 5 days post-op, I was getting 64oz of liquid daily. By what you've written, it sounds like you're not getting much more than 8. Is that correct?

I'm with the others on your sugar intake. If you're getting in other liquids, why would you need the added sugar? It doesn't make any sense to me. You should be able to get more liquids in without having to add the excess sugar.

I know that everyone is different, but by 5 days post-op, I was getting 64oz of liquid daily. By what you've written, it sounds like you're not getting much more than 8. Is that correct?

I'm with the others on your sugar intake. If you're getting in other liquids, why would you need the added sugar? It doesn't make any sense to me. You should be able to get more liquids in without having to add the excess sugar.
I'm getting more liquids than 8 oz it's not 64 oz I was to weak I needed to take in a little sugar in 8 oz tea.That will not prevent me from losing weight. My sister had the bypass 10 years ago she understands. She went through it too she reach her goal. It's a little hard for me I'm 50 years old I reach out to my team today. This is the beginning like you said everyone is different.

Have you thought about using "no sugar added" food items? Still a little sugar but nowhere near the amount as in regular foods. My problem was the taste of the artificial sweeteners in the sugar free items. Couldn't tolerate it at all. I ate a lot of Outshine no sugar added popsicles during the first weeks. Glad you reached out to your team!

Have you thought about using "no sugar added" food items? Still a little sugar but nowhere near the amount as in regular foods. My problem was the taste of the artificial sweeteners in the sugar free items. Couldn't tolerate it at all. I ate a lot of Outshine no sugar added popsicles during the first weeks. Glad you reached out to your team!
My crystals lights was too sweet to drink etc. That's a good idea I'm going to get apple juice no added sugar also 100% juice popsicle no added sugar. Thanks I that really would help me.