Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you tells others about your transformations.

I started a new position and feel like it's no one else's business to know about what I'm dealing with. I've told a couple of people (close friends and family) pre-op. Obviously my Boss Nd HR director needed to know but I'm just wondering the ways in which you either keep some privacy or disclose to others that you've had the surgery.

My weight has always been a focal point of discussion. Every "fat person" feels as though we have an instant connection and bond over being heavy - and "skinny" people always want to talk about the "diets" that helped them.

Any reccomondations about how to change the focal point of body changes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I have kinda the same question except I've been at my job 17.5 years. Not sure how to address the weight loss once I have surgery.

I have kinda the same question except I've been at my job 17.5 years. Not sure how to address the weight loss once I have surgery.
Obviously I think its individualized. What I think I will say is that, "I'm working really hard."

Just didn't know if others had different answers

I struggled with this and first decided that I would tell only the people closest to me. Then I decided to just be honest and let everyone know. I didn't want any issues remembering how much I disclosed to each person. So that is what I chose. I told everyone I had made the decision to have sleeve surgery. I'm glad I made that decision as far as friends and family. But work situation is another story. I'm three months post sleeve and if I had to do it over I would not have told any coworkers. They don't understand what I'm going through anyways so letting them know did not benefit me in any way. Don't get me wrong, I have a good working relationship with all coworkers and get along with everyone. But people are insensitive and I've heard stupid comments like "you had the surgery and now your losing so fast, have you thought about now you will need to have skin removal surgery" and other comments about aren't I glad I decided to take the easy way out. They really don't have a clue and my workplace is not the place to set them straight or waste time on explaining my side. I would suggest letting family and friends know and keeping personal business out of the workplace.

I started a new position and feel like it's no one else's business to know about what I'm dealing with. I've told a couple of people (close friends and family) pre-op. Obviously my Boss Nd HR director needed to know but I'm just wondering the ways in which you either keep some privacy or disclose to others that you've had the surgery.
My weight has always been a focal point of discussion. Every "fat person" feels as though we have an instant connection and bond over being heavy - and "skinny" people always want to talk about the "diets" that helped them.
Any reccomondations about how to change the focal point of body changes?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JessiG said:

Obviously my Boss Nd HR director needed to know

They need to know you are taking medical leave, but they certainly don't need to know why

they will notice your healthy diet choices

tell everyone the same thing

I am on a medically supervised weight loss plan - i stopped eating sugars and lowered my carbs and now that i am feeling better and my weight has gone down i am exercising more to improve my overall health.

end of storey

@JessiG I'm having the same issue. So I have a story in mind that I am going to tell my clients and others. Everyone in my life knows I have struggled and am always trying some sort of diet. most every0ne knows I also suffer from joint pain and high blood pressure, etc. I don't lie well and I HATE lying but here is my story:

my surgery is August 23 and I'm starting to let people know that after my last summer trip I've decided to join Lindora weight loss center ( it's a place I've done before ) so I know how the program works and I can answer questions. pretty much Keto diet, but you have to be accountable everyday by going in and weighing yourself and pee on a stick to see if your body is in Ketois. then you get a "B12" shot ( which I'm not sure that is really what it is) LOL.

Preparing my friends up front and letting them know that I'm taking a break from the social events for awhile so I CAN get on track without distractions and if they are my friends and clients they will understand and be supportive.

Again, this is my story. whether it works or not... I shall see.

Good luck. I'm in the same boat as well.

Don't tell them a dog-gone thing, let them ask YOU. And then only tell them as much as YOU want to! After all, it's your business not theirs.

Don't tell them a dog-gone thing, let them ask YOU. And then only tell them as much as YOU want to! After all, it's your business not theirs.
I don't feel it's anyone's business how you lost the weight. This is a tool, that's all. What you do with it is up to you. I told one person, and got the, "oh the easy way" I immediately said, yes, the first 35 lbs, then 6 days a week of weight lifting and cardio traing for the other 145 lbs so easy, no.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm working with my medical team to lose weight. I'm on a very restricted diet - no sugars, no bread, no soda, no white flour, Pasta or rice - lots of Protein and lots of Water and other no calorie drinks. I'm also working on exercising more as a part of this.

All of that is true. Not a word of it is false. As for telling people about your surgery, you need only tell your boss about the time you need off. You need not tell them precisely why. HR gets to know more, but they cannot divulge due to HIPPA requirements.

Way to Go,Babe, Way to Go! Hope I'll be brave enough to rake no prisioners Too!

Oops Take not Rake, what a difference,a,single letter makes!

This is YOUR journey, not anyone else's. Tell as much as or as little as you feel comfortable telling others.

I'm 15+ weeks out. I have only told a handful of those in my "inner circle". Not even my family knows. If anyone comments about my weight loss or asks me how I'm doing it, I can answer honestly: I am trying to make healthier choices. I'm being more active. Etc. If they ask me specifics, I give them generalities of what I do. I focus on Protein and reduce (but not eliminate) carbs.

Fortunately, I'm losing slow enough that no one pushes for any more than what I answer and I'm fine with that.

Don’t be an over-sharer, especially with people at work. You do not need to tell anyone you’re having surgery (of any kind). Many people transform themselves, with or without surgery, and how you did it is not something you’re obligated to divulge.