Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hardest Part (outside of eating)

So, I am 8 days post surgery, and I agree with so many that this is much harder than I anticipated. I’m wondering, outside of the difficulty with drink/food, what has been the hardest part for you?

For me, it’s definitely been understanding my body again. Before surgery, it was easy to tell when I was hungry, when I ate something that didn’t sit well, or when I overate. Now, I can’t tell one pain from another. “Am I hungry?” “What does that cramp/gurgle mean?”...

What about you?

I’m about 5.5 weeks out and I find the stomach gas & noises and constant need to burp really annoying.

I agree it took a while to realize hunger pains for me too.....and in the last week or so I’ve been noticing them more. I have been keeping track of food intake through fitness app.....and this has helped tremendously.

2 minutes ago, Yourgirlnina said:

I’m about 5.5 weeks out and I find the stomach gas & noises and constant need to burp really annoying.

I agree it took a while to realize hunger pains for me too.....and in the last week or so I’ve been noticing them more. I have been keeping track of food intake through fitness app.....and this has helped tremendously.

Yes! The gas and burping is so frustrating. While I’m at home, it’s not that big of a deal, but what do I do when I go back to work next week? I attend at least 5 meetings per day...

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've completely ignored my body's sense or lack of hunger since surgery.

I decided what Protein Fiber and calories numbers I needed to hit, and just set up a routine where I would eat meals at the same time everyday no matter what. And I just simply spread out my calories over the course of the day to hit those numbers.

6am I'm eating Breakfast. 3pm I'm eating lunch, 6pm dinner, 9pm my late protein snack.

I don't care when or if I'm hungry, when it's time to eat it's time to eat. And as long as getting my protein fiber and staying within my rough caloric range that's all that I care about.

Otherwise I'm not getting hungry enough that I have to eat thanks to the surgery, and it's hard to imagine that I'm overeating as long as I'm making smart choices and staying in my calorie range

7 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've completely ignored my body's sense or lack of hunger since surgery.

I decided what Protein Fiber and calories numbers I needed to hit, and just set up a routine where I would eat meals at the same time everyday no matter what. And I just simply spread out my calories over the course of the day to hit those numbers.

6am I'm eating Breakfast. 3pm I'm eating lunch, 6pm dinner, 9pm my late Protein snack.

I don't care when or if I'm hungry, when it's time to eat it's time to eat. And as long as getting my protein fiber and staying within my rough caloric range that's all that I care about.

Otherwise I'm not getting hungry enough that I have to eat thanks to the surgery, and it's hard to imagine that I'm overeating as long as I'm making smart choices and staying in my calorie range

That sounds brilliant. Are you already on solids? If so, did you start that plan when you were still in the liquids, purée or soft foods stage?

9 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

6am I'm eating Breakfast. 3pm I'm eating lunch, 6pm dinner, 9pm my late Protein snack.

I don't care when or if I'm hungry, when it's time to eat it's time to eat. And as long as getting my protein Fiber and staying within my rough caloric range that's all that I care about.

Do you really go that long without eating —- between Breakfast & lunch? And you’re not hungry?

1 minute ago, Defincupark said:

That sounds brilliant. Are you already on solids? If so, did you start that plan when you were still in the liquids, purée or soft foods stage?

im around 7 months out so full diet.

I probably didnt start that until i was 8-10 weeks out and feeling normal again.

Early on its honestly just do anything you can whatsoever to stay hydrated and hit your Protein without getting constipated

Just now, Yourgirlnina said:

Do you really go that long without eating —- between Breakfast & lunch? And you’re not hungry?

Everyday. However ive always had weird eating habits like that. I wouldnt reccomend someone following my exact times unless it worked for them, but being regimented like that is important if you ask me. Id say only one meal a day i eat when hungry. Otherwise i ear because its time to eat.

But im incredibly strict about what i eat that helps too. 140-200g of Protein and 50-60g of fiber everyday goes a long way to controlling hunger

5 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

im around 7 months out so full diet.

I probably didnt start that until i was 8-10 weeks out and feeling normal again.

Early on its honestly just do anything you can whatsoever to stay hydrated and hit your Protein without getting constipated

Yeah, I’m finding it very difficult to get the Water and Protein intake I need every day. One day at a time, right?

1 minute ago, Defincupark said:

Yeah, I’m finding it very difficult to get the Water and Protein intake I need every day. One day at a time, right?

Finding the right recipes and products was my key. I experimented and wasted a lot of products till i found things i like. But once i liked something id use it all the time. Now theyre habits

1 hour ago, Mhy12784 said:

I think this idea is great!! Not the times exactly but to set a mealtime schedule is genius. Yeah, will be following something like this when I get there. Great info!!!

Hardest part: realizing that getting thinner doesn't solve all my problems. Does it help? yes...my health is SO much better! But there are more issues that need to be addressed that were easy to ignore when the weight was always the priority.

Figuring out healthy coping mechanisms. Recognizing and avoiding a return of bad eating behaviors. This is the real work as the honeymoon ends and real life continues.

There will always be rough Patches. Finding your way through them without food to lean on....has some tricky spots.

Stalls. It just sucks when I wake up and number on the scale is the same as yesterday.

Social eating and drinking. I never realized how much socializing is around food and i just feel so uneasy in these situations at the moment.

Fear of not losing the weight/gaining all of it back/not being successful. It's always at the back of my mind.

Stalls. It just sucks when I wake up and number on the scale is the same as yesterday.
Social eating and drinking. I never realized how much socializing is around food and i just feel so uneasy in these situations at the moment.
Fear of not losing the weight/gaining all of it back/not being successful. It's always at the back of my mind.
Going to the mall and smelling Aunt Annie's pretzels and Cookies everywhere. I never realized how powerful smells are. Also found out when I left the mall, the smell was gone and so was the very intense desire for them. Looks like its outside malla for me.

Also learned that I snacked in the evenings for something to do, not out of hunger. VSG has been educational. I've thought about getting a spinner to keep my hands busy to break that habit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I might be in the minority here, but it’s honestly still really hard for me to be proud of myself when it comes to my accomplishments. I’m 7 months out with 15 pounds to go and I still look at the scale or the mirror like “well no, that doesn’t look right” 🙄 it’s totally irrational, but until I hit goal I think I might be on the struggle bus trying to be proud!