Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Might be cancelling Surgery. Given the choice would you do it again?

I was feeling so good about having the VSG until 2 weeks ago when a few coworkers bombarded me with their so called plan of intervention of why nots. Now i have anxiety and nervous and feel like cancelling my surgery in a few days on 5/10. If given the choice all over again would you still make the same choice?

Edited by Chickensoup

Without giving it a second thought, this is a life changer and the best decision I’ve taken

I was feeling so good about having the VSG until 2 weeks ago when a few coworkers bombarded me with their so called plan of intervention of why nots. Now i have anxiety and nervous and feel like cancelling my surgery in a few days on 5/10. If given the choice all over again would you still make the same choice?

My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery sooner! There will always be those negative people who feel its their right to have a say so in someone else's life! The decision is yours and yours alone. I only told a select few and those few supported me to the point that they joined me in the liquid diet! If your come this far and have a date, don't let anyone deter your decision. Ask yourself if its better to be unhealthy!

I wish I would have done it sooner than waiting until I was 30.. missed out on so much of my young adult life being overweight and unhappy. Don’t let anyone try to talk you in or out of something that is YOUR decision! It is YOUR life, not theirs! Getting the sleeve was the best decision I could have made for my life.. if I wouldn’t have been so naive when I was young 20s, I would have done it then!

It’s your journey and not everyone will or can go with you on this journey. I am 5 years out since Sleeve surgery with NO regrets. I needed this tool to deal with overeating and have successfully sustained the lifestyle changes that come with it . From 279 - 174 lbs

Blessed Life and Grateful :-)

Lady L

45 minutes ago, Chickensoup said:

god yes! i would it again and again. Think about all the reason you started this program.

Every surgery has risk. This one has a very low risk (lower than gallbladder) a 1% chance of a serious issue VS.

a 100% chance that the extra weight will keep you from living your life to the fullest and that it will shorten your life. Your coworker is not your friend and is trying to put you in your grave early.

Do not give up on the rest of your life.

Hopefully the only thing you will regret about your surgery was telling your coworkers.

Never base medical decisions based upon opinions of acquaintances. None of us made this decision lightly and for many of us we have spent much of our lives obese and tried diets and failed over and over.

We are here to support you through your surgery and beyond.

I am three days out post op and i wouldn’t have changed my mind. This was the best decision I’ve made. Yes there may be some struggles at first and I’m still experiencing a few but this is the start of my new life. Your coworker does not know how you feel inside about yourself. This surgery has to be done for you and for you only which is why i only confided in people whom I knew would support me. I knew my mother would not support me so i did not tell her because weight loss is more than just a physical change, it’s also mental and an emotional change. Good luck and i hope you don’t let your coworkers change your mind

Don’t pay attention to people that haven’t done it. We’d all do it again. It gives you your life back

I would so do it again in a heartbeat. How many other things have you tried? How many worked? How long do you want to stay on that hamster wheel doing the same thing over and over and getting the same result? It is work. You will have to change your diet. You do have to follow the rules. But this surgery makes it possible. I highly recommend doing more research. Get the statistics. Are the potential health benefits worth it? Is fitting into your life and the world more comfortably worth it? Oh yea! Read, read, read until the answer becomes clear and you are comfortable with YOUR decision.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Absolutely would do it again. Have never lost 78 pounds in my life and I can't believe I would have done it any other way, much less have the excellent potential to KEEP it off--lots of people are good at losing weight, but keeping it off is, statistically, very very low without the surgery. It's not easy and it's not magic, but it is completely worthwhile and potentially life-saving.

I struggled and even cancelled my May 10 date. But then after reading more and speaking again with the doctor I am ready. I actually wish it was earlier. I have had two people I have told so far try to talk me out and to just diet. That’s not what will work for me. I know in my heart this is going to change me and my life. I see a counsellor who specializes in clients that have Bariatric surgery and that has also helped. The mental impact this change will have will be great. I was told not everyone will be happy for me and many will be jealous. At the end of the day all that matters is that you are happy with this choice. If you are unsure postpone and research more talk to your surgeon..... it has to be right for you and you only.

I was feeling so good about having the VSG until 2 weeks ago when a few coworkers bombarded me with their so called plan of intervention of why nots.

Do you trust these coworkers enough to let them choose a spouse for you? How about let them decide for you to have children, or not have children? How about let them take over your financial decisions? Nope? They cannot know what this is like for you. They have done none of the research, did none of the prerequisites and won’t be working the plan post op. This is all YOU. Fortunately you have the numbers on your side, the majority of people who undergo this treatment are successful. When you are thin and healthy, don’t be surprised if they aren’t your friends anymore. They won’t say it’s because you lost weight, they will have some other reason, but they will not really be happy for you.

I truly appreciate all of you sharing your journey and giving me support for my journey. I really needed the advice and thanks for the reinforcements. May 10th here i come and no more taking to negative people about my journey. Ya'll are the best 😍