Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op experiences & favorite easy foods

Hey guys! So i have 4 more weeks until i fulfill my pre reqs for insurance to have the surgery, and im starting to get scared! I was wondering if you guys could share your 2-4 week post op experiences, what you ate, how you felt, pain levels, when you went back to work, how long until you felt you didnt have to be "careful" about movements and lifting etc.

And i HATE cooking, I know that is going to make my life a little more difficult, so if anyone wants to share easy meals they make, or Snacks like maybe high quality deli meat and lettuce roll ups or things similar in effort?

Thanks in advance for helping ease my nervous mind!

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, Ivy Joel said:

Hey guys! So i have 4 more weeks until i fulfill my pre reqs for insurance to have the surgery, and im starting to get scared! I was wondering if you guys could share your 2-4 week post op experiences, what you ate, how you felt, pain levels, when you went back to work, how long until you felt you didnt have to be "careful" about movements and lifting etc.

And i HATE cooking, I know that is going to make my life a little more difficult, so if anyone wants to share easy meals they make, or Snacks like maybe high quality deli meat and lettuce roll ups or things similar in effort?

My surgery went well in my recovery just like everybody else was somewhat annoying but once I got through it everything’s been great. I have an Instagram page with meals that I eat if you want to take a look at it. You can see it at “my_tiny_healthy_plate”. You really have nothing to be scared about as long as you follow your plan to the letter. I personally believe the more Water you drink before & after the better.

Edited by Seahawks Fan

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! My recovery was very, very smooth and on track. I made sure to follow my surgeon's orders and had no issues drinking (getting fluids in) or eating. I drink about 120fl oz a day. I think that makes a difference. When you're dehydrated, there is usually more nausea and also your new tool isn't "slippery" and things get stuck more.

Here's a thread we started for people who don't like to cook. I see it all the time--people eating on plan post-op and not cooking anything other than to nuke something. It would drive me bat-sh*t crazy, but it sure is convenient not having to cook!

Hardest part of post sleeve cooking? Not cooking to much food. It is real difficult to realize just how little you will eat in those early months.

If you cook for family maybe not an issue but for 1 or just 2 like me i had to really work to not waste food that i just couldn't eat.

The first time you realize that the chicken breast you just cooked could be 3 meals at least you will understand better. I use more boneless skinless thighs now cause they are smaller and moister so no sauce needed.

eggs are very easy to cook and great for a quick no fuss meal and come early in your food plan.

if you can handle it Salsa in all it varieties can be your friend. great taste and sugar free

dont let food worries get to you. it is amazing how food moves from the center of your life to almost an afterthought post surgery.

love the above post fluffy added

1 hour ago, Ivy Joel said:

I am a little over 5 weeks post op. The absolute worst part for me was the gas that is left in your stomach/chest area after the surgery. I know that they have to do it that way so that they can do it laparoscopically, but it's a pain. My best advice is to get up and walk as soon as you can after the surgery. I was walking like an hour after getting into my room. Walking helps get rid of those gas pains faster.

As far as eating, I was on liquids for 2 weeks following surgery, so I drank my Protein, Water, sugar free/non-carbonated things, and that was about it. Well, also get some sugar free popsicles...they are a life saver!

After the first 2 weeks, I went to pureed foods. I never did actually puree anything though. I just ate canned or pouched tuna that's already been shredded up, chicken that's been shredded, an egg, etc... Just things that are easy on the stomach. Be sure to chew it up really well so that it doesn't hurt your stomach.

Don't drink water 30 min to an hour before or after meals.

You'll be surprised by how little you eat. I'm eating 2oz of ham and 1 reduced fat cheese stick right now, and that's my lunch, and that'll be good. I can still only eat 1 to 1 1/2 eggs at a time; 2 is WAY too much.

Don't be nervous! You've got this!

Hi! I'm 2.5 weeks post op. The first week was rough everything hurt i used a walker the first 4 days. If i stood to long it felt like my stomach was filled with bricks. Walking and sipping is what my days consisted of, i had to do 2 weeks of Clear Liquids i could not tolerate the protien shakes our powder so getting my protien in the first 2weeks was really hard. I just went to puree/soft food 3 days ago i can only eat about 2tbsp each meal, i did get a whole egg in today. Eat slow chew well. Good luck!

I am 4 days post op. Still nauseous if I sip anything but Water. Did get a popsicle down last night. I probably overdid the walking yesterday (2 miles) and may have gotten a bit dehydrated. I love eggs and will be very happy to add those as one of my first puréed foods. Glad the post op gas is finally gone.

I am 4 days post op. Still nauseous if I sip anything but Water. Did get a popsicle down last night. I probably overdid the walking yesterday (2 miles) and may have gotten a bit dehydrated. I love eggs and will be very happy to add those as one of my first puréed foods. Glad the post op gas is finally gone.

How is your pain level? Are you able to sleep regularly or only in a certain position?

Hi! I'm 2.5 weeks post op. The first week was rough everything hurt i used a walker the first 4 days. If i stood to long it felt like my stomach was filled with bricks. Walking and sipping is what my days consisted of, i had to do 2 weeks of clear liquids i could not tolerate the protien shakes our powder so getting my protien in the first 2weeks was really hard. I just went to puree/soft food 3 days ago i can only eat about 2tbsp each meal, i did get a whole egg in today. Eat slow chew well. Good luck!

I dont know if you have the answer to thos question but i thought of it after reading your response--why can you eat so little post op? After the first 2 weeks of course while its healing up, shouldnt you be able to eat normal bariatric sized portions? Or are you still healing for much longer after that? You said you can only have a few tablespoons per meal, does the stomach stretch a little bit as time goes by and you can increase meal sizes?

It must be difficult to get enough Water if you can only take such tiny sips. That is going to be tough for me im a gulper when it comes to water i drink over 80oz per day even before i thought about getting the surgery.

12 minutes ago, Ivy Joel said:

I dont know if you have the answer to thos question but i thought of it after reading your response--why can you eat so little post op? After the first 2 weeks of course while its healing up, shouldnt you be able to eat normal bariatric sized portions? Or are you still healing for much longer after that? You said you can only have a few tablespoons per meal, does the stomach stretch a little bit as time goes by and you can increase meal sizes?

Ivy, take the first 2 fingers of your left hand and the first 2 fingers of your right hand and touch them together.

that is the width and length of your sleeve. it fills up very fast when you start on solids. eat very slow and listen to your body it will tell you to stop loud and clear. if you eat fast you will feel sick and hurt when the full signal gets thru. Slow is your friend. so a bite then chat with family or talk to yourself (but dont answer thats just weird :) ) then another bite and so on. you will get the hang of it real quick.

Edited by allwet

1 hour ago, FancyChristine15 said:

You'll be surprised by how little you eat. I'm eating 2oz of ham and 1 reduced fat cheese stick right now, and that's my lunch, and that'll be good. I can still only eat 1 to 1 1/2 eggs at a time; 2 is WAY too much.

And don’t be surprised if you are still eating these exact amounts at 5 months out 😂 I’m 5 months post op on Sunday and unless I’ve cooked a real recipe to eat, my go to lunches are 2 oz lunch meat and 1 slice of cheese and I’m donezo. 👍

35 minutes ago, Ivy Joel said:

I'm still healing and takes more than 2 weeks to fully heal and you def don't want to push it. My nutritionist said in the beginning i wouldn't be able to fit much in my new pouch, boy was she right! Eventually I should be able to eat 1/2c to a full cup during meals but for now I'm not forcing it I'm just listening to my body. I am not a graceful puker, I'm like the exorcist so i avoid that at all cost.

Ivy, take the first 2 fingers of your left hand and the first 2 fingers of your right hand and touch them together.
that is the width and length of your sleeve. it fills up very fast when you start on solids. eat very slow and listen to your body it will tell you to stop loud and clear. if you eat fast you will feel sick and hurt when the full signal gets thru. Slow is your friend. so a bite then chat with family or talk to yourself (but dont answer thats just weird [emoji4] ) then another bite and so on. you will get the hang of it real quick.

That is really informative thank you. I guess it just threw me off since my last nutritionist appt she showed me a plate (it was the typical size of an appetizer or dessert/childs plate and said that is about the size meal i would eventually be eating so i guess, as time goes by your new stomach stretches? [emoji13] [emoji102] [emoji28] But until then yes chewing and taking breaks definitely. It must be hard to get enough Water daily just taking tiny sips! That will be difficult for me i drink a ton of water even before considering surgery I did, and i drink it fast. I have to break that habit!

2 minutes ago, Ivy Joel said:

That is really informative thank you. I guess it just threw me off since my last nutritionist appt she showed me a plate (it was the typical size of an appetizer or dessert/childs plate and said that is about the size meal i would eventually be eating so i guess, as time goes by your new stomach stretches? But until then yes chewing and taking breaks definitely. It must be hard to get enough Water daily just taking tiny sips! That will be difficult for me i drink a ton of Water even before considering surgery I did, and i drink it fast. I have to break that habit!

In the first week it was very tiny sips but gradually I've been able to take in bigger sips at a time with no problem. You'll know if the sips are too big!