Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone successfully kept weight loss surgery a secret?

Personally, i have told my Wife and Children, they are for the most part supportive, my daughter is concerned only because she has been misinformed about some of the statistics regarding how dangerous the operation actually is. My wife is completely on board, she plans for us to live to 101 and 103 so that we can be married for 80 years and without this it probably wont happen, not even close. Outside of my family there are only 3 other people who know, my wife's best friend (a support person for her), one of my good friends (support for me) and my Boss so she understand why i will be off work for a bit and not able to travel for 2 months following the surgery.
Im not personally trying to hide this, but at the same time im not going out and flying the banner to let people know. Im a fairly private person and i will let my results speak for themselves.
I decided that only those who NEEDED to know before hand would know, so those who will be my support and those who i may impact with my mood swings as i change my habits about eating.

Hi. Thank you for the tips. Why were you unable to fly for 2 months?

My surgery center believes you are at a higher risk of complications for the first 8 weeks so they prefer that you don't travel during that time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

When I had lap band in 2005, only those in my "inner circle" knew. I tend to be a very private person and didn't feel the need to advertise. After a while, I didn't really feel the need to hide it anymore and if the subject came up, I didn't hide the fact that I had lap band.

Now that I'm planning on being sleeved, I am again holding this information very close to my chest. Only my husband and the person who has encouraged me to pursue the sleeve knows. I don't even plan on telling my normal "inner circle". Knowing myself, I will probably ease up as time goes by as I did with the band. But for now, this is my personal journey and I do not feel that anyone else needs to weigh in (pardon the pun) on the subject.

Nope, there's always that one person in the family with a big mouth that never shuts....

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-133
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 36C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

3 minutes ago, Myaiku_Kuraitani said:

Nope, there's always that one person in the family with a big mouth that never shuts....

haha SO true!! :D

I only told my husband too! Others think I’m just on a diet and working hard— technically not lying!

HW 242
SW 236- December 20, 2017
CW 196
GW#1- 199
GW#2- 175
5’6”

This question comes up often. I'm sorry you're experiencing this. You don't deserve it.
I didn't lie. I didn't hide my surgery from anyone. In fact, when I told people, the realized I trusted them by sharing this information. I had many more people be supportive than I ever realized.
Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

Same here. I didn't hide my surgery. Everyone supported me from family to friends to coworkers. Telling others about my journey held me accountable. My coworker and I actually went through this together. We stayed on top of each other, we traded ideas on what works and what didn't. We rooted for each other. It was nice to have someone to go on this journey with. My surgery was 2/5/18 and hers is on 3/1/18. Try to enjoy your journey.

Sent from my SM-N900T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all! After a long wait, I am finally about to have my sleeve done (Yea!) My husband is super supportive, but unfortunately other's around me are very very judgmental, and have made very hurtful and negative comments about weight loss surgery in the past before. For this reason, I have made the decision to keep the surgery between just myself and hubby. We have already been openly adapting a Paleo diet between us, and family know I am actively trying to lose weight, so I think I may be ok with getting away with any awkward questions about my weight loss that is to come. By hubby thinks that it may be hard to keep it to ourselves though, as so far my current weight loss has been a slow process.
The question I have though, has anyone else managed to keep there surgery a secret and offer any advice on what hurdles I may cross if I do? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I only told two people (in case of emergency)
Everyone else appeared too judgemental to me so I decided not telling them was best
Other than that when people ask I tell them I eat a lot less and low carb/keto

I've told my family and only 2 friends. Work thinks I'm having hernia surgery to explain why I'll be out.

I have only told my family and don’t really plan on announcing it to anyone else. I have lost weight during this preop phase and others have noticed but I just tell them I’m on a low cal diet and have been seeing at nutritionist (all true).

I had the VSG in August of 2015, and my parents and husband are the only ones besides my physicians who know about it. I never told my brother, my best friend since the age of 12, or my lovely in-laws, even though I trust them impeccably. I'm just private by nature. I felt that I had ample support from my husband and parents. Whenever I wanted to chat with others about having surgery, I just popped on here where I could retain my privacy.

I never told my colleagues or HR, but I was fortunate because I didn't need to take any time off work for the surgery or recuperation due to my schedule.

No one has suspected that I had weight loss surgery, either. Of course many have noticed my weight loss and complimented me on it, but they've also noticed the effort I put into losing it. I got a bike the same summer as the surgery, and started biking to and from work and on errands. I was really diligent about what I ate, even at office Christmas and birthday parties, having very small slivers of cake or whatever instead of the huge slabs I used to enjoy. The coworkers I have coffee with afternoon noticed that I switched from drinking the caloric Frappacino-style drinks to plain Jane iced coffee.

My only regret with the surgery was not having the single incision so I wouldn't have scars on my stomach. They've faded so much and are tiny, though, so it's just a small regret. When I'm at the beach I just wear a tee shirt or a one piece. I definitely do no regret the decision to keep my surgery a secret!