Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Married people....8 out of ten of us will get divorced within 2 years

I'm glad to read some positive experiences. My husband and I have been happily married for 27 years, and I just can't see surgery wrecking things.

Happened to me with my first marriage. My first wife although a beautiful woman was very jealous. After losing 50 pounds due to heart by pass surgery she started to feel that I was now looking to meet someone else. Never mind that we always spent all of our none working time together with our kids. It got to a point where she just made it impossible for us to be together. Imagine, I didn't lose the weight on purpose, it was a result of an operation to save my life. Side Note: The weight stayed off for four years after that I gained the 50 pounds and then some back. Today, my current wife is happy that I had WLS for my health and doesn't feel threatened at all. One of my friends told her that she should be careful that the other ladies in the complex don't start looking to get me. My wife told him, "hope they run fast because this guy is always running chasing me around.". It all depends on where you are in your marriage and who you're with. This time I hope to keep the wife and lose the pounds permanently.

No one expects the surgery to end their marriage and it doesn't happen right away. It took about three years for my ex-wife to succumb to the temptations of her new options.

This is really interesting to me, I've never had a better relationship with my hubby than I do now! Me being obese was a huge strain on our marriage. BED and my lack of self esteem was my major focus in life, not him or us. Now I'm feeling so much better and he's loving it too. I think @momin2005 was right on this one. People get married for so many wrong reasons, especially people who are obese.

My nutritionist told me that spouses can often sabotage WLS patients unconsciously. Essentially, they see that their spouse is losing weight, and in a way, it's like they're losing the person they love. It can really take toll mentally.

I think a lot of WLS patients realize they were unhappy but had settled because of their size. If you and your spouse are good at communicating, I don't think it will be a big issue.

My husband is so supportive. He's my number one fan. He and I have been together since we were 17, and we're 26 now :)

The end of a marriage is often very saddening and can be devastating to some. For me, when I was obese, I had major (still have to some degree) body image issues. Since being sleeved and accompanying weight loss, I am as horny as horny could be. When I say , " I should have had this surgery sooner," my husband always adds, "Oh yeah, this should have been done 2 years ago." I say that because of the health benefits and him for sexual reasons. This surgery has brought intimacy back to our honeymoon stages. I hope we stay that way because I intend to grow old with him. farting and all.

Sex drive?? What's that?? I haven't had one in a really long time because I can't even stand to see myself. I pray mine comes back once I start loosing! I'm sure my husband would really like that too!!

I had a lap band placed 11 years ago (and removed 2 days ago!!) but back then my husband voiced his concern that I might lose weight and leave him for someone else (an irrational fear he's always had). My own fear with my upcoming sleeve is that when I lose weight he'll no longer be attracted to me. He's never known me at a healthy weight.

We've been married for almost 16 years. Alcoholism, interfering family, lost jobs, bankruptcy, foreclosure, a baby in the NICU, having 3 babies 3 and under at one point, a move across the country and back again 10 months later that was intended to be permanent, health issues for us both, and a child who has fought a brain tumor for almost 4 years...we've made it through all of that, so I pray we can make it through this one too.

I'd been through a whole lot of stuff with my ex-wife too (not as much as HorrorAuthor). I thought that would have meant something. However, you never know how someone is going to act when presented with options they didn't have before. Also, the dynamic of the relationship changes. Before she had WLS we were both fat -- but she was significantly fatter. After her very successful WLS she was normal size and I was still fat. At my son's wedding she overheard a guest comment with surprise "she's with him?" -- for some reason she thought it was a good idea to relate this story to me. Later it made more sense. Seems she started to be embarrassed to be seen with me and worried about what her newfound friends would say.