Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens if you do not take your vitamins?

Obviously long term...

Malnutrition.

But , say.. A sleeve does not cause malabsorption issues, so is it possible to get what I need from food?

If so what kind?

I am 6 weeks in, as told to start vits 2 weeks in and I have taken one full day of everything as have so much to swollow, sometimes they make me feel sick. I am worried.

I have not had my 6 weeks bloods yet an B12 shot yet, as had to cancel my appointment.

is it needing vits because your not eating much ? as many people do not eat nutritious food and dont end up malnurished

I have everything to take in a container, it feels like i find my day focusing on others that its the endof the day when i realise , then i think its too late to bother. So just want the facts and why and if it can be done through food.

Ok, so I love this question.

Are you familiar with the recipe nutrition calculators on the internet? There are lots of different ones.

Anyway, you can input a whole day's food to see how close to 100% of every nutrient you come. I've been working on this for years, and have had one heck of a time meeting 100% of everything with only 2000 calories (on the calculator, not in actual practice).

I think the closest I came required I put in a cup of multigrain cheerios to meet the Iron requirement (since those cheerios have Vitamins and minerals added). I was trying to hit everything using whole, unprocessed foods, so the cheerios simply didn't belong.

ANYWAY, my point is, if it is that hard to meet requirements with 2000 calories, how do we meet it with half the food?

We can't. I'm eating about 1300 calories and only get 50% of my nutrients. So I need vitamins pills. But, since I am getting half my nutrition from food, I don't have to take so many vitamins.. after all, I only need to make up half.

I should add that I never tried inputting a vegan diet, so don't know how that would stack up.

It's just about impossible to get enough vitamins/minerals/nutrients with the low amount of food we can now consume. I am still chewing 2 Flintstone Kids every morning, just to make sure I come close to what I need. I wasn't doing this for awhile (around 3 months post-surgery) and that's when my hair started thinning... badly. I am not sure that the lack of Vitamins was what the problem was, but it sure couldn't have helped. I am 11 months post-surgery, and I take 2 kids chewable vitamins, 2 chocolate calcium chews, 10,000 mcg Biotin, and my PPI every day, and some sublingual B12 on Saturday mornings. I feel good, so I'm gonna keep doing this!

berry had a great answer. I rely on regular labs to give me a sounding board. I was told to stop my B12, but resume Iron. I've always been anemic. I eat a LOT of greens. That and a really diverse diet of fish, shellfish, quinoa, good grains, lentils, etc. keeps me on track with no other supplements. But I work at it. If I got sloppy and ate only eggs, sausages and chicken I'd be deficient in no time. Most people, especially early out just need supplements. I'm 7 years out and have worked hard for this balance.

Cheri

14 hours ago, clk said:

berry had a great answer. I rely on regular labs to give me a sounding board. I was told to stop my B12, but resume Iron. I've always been anemic. I eat a LOT of greens. That and a really diverse diet of fish, shellfish, quinoa, good grains, lentils, etc. keeps me on track with no other supplements. But I work at it. If I got sloppy and ate only eggs, sausages and chicken I'd be deficient in no time. Most people, especially early out just need supplements. I'm 7 years out and have worked hard for this balance.

Cheri

Totally off topic, but your post gives me hope. I am still working on getting in all my Protein and Fluid requirements before being overly/full, so haven't incorporated many fresh veggies and no grains and carbs yet- and I'm 11 months post-op. Who knew my biggest craving, post-surgery, would be salad? I'm thankful I have good restriction, and am so happy with my progress so far, but I sure would love a big salad full of crunchy, fresh veggies!

2 hours ago, leebick said:

Totally off topic, but your post gives me hope. I am still working on getting in all my Protein and Fluid requirements before being overly/full, so haven't incorporated many fresh veggies and no grains and carbs yet- and I'm 11 months post-op. Who knew my biggest craving, post-surgery, would be salad? I'm thankful I have good restriction, and am so happy with my progress so far, but I sure would love a big salad full of crunchy, fresh veggies!

I had several years of just massive restriction and Protein, protein, protein. Now I eat several small meals a day. Each meal includes greens and/or veggies, at least a small portion. At least two meals incorporate a good grain or carb to balance. Like a quinoa or bulgar salad at lunch, with fish and kale or spinach. It took a long time, tracking my nutrients and finding what works. But I do maintain easily (I'm actually trying to gain a few :/ it's crazy) and I feel utterly satisfied. You'll get here with time and focus. And for reference, my sleeve is probably not much bigger than it was around a year; I just learned to work around my limitations. Certain foods like grains and Pasta I could eat more of around 3-4 years out. That's the only change.

Good luck!

Cheri

Obviously long term...

Malnutrition.

But , say.. A sleeve does not cause malabsorption issues, so is it possible to get what I need from food?
If so what kind?

I am 6 weeks in, as told to start vits 2 weeks in and I have taken one full day of everything as have so much to swollow, sometimes they make me feel sick. I am worried.

I have not had my 6 weeks bloods yet an B12 shot yet, as had to cancel my appointment.

is it needing vits because your not eating much ? as many people do not eat nutritious food and dont end up malnurished

I have everything to take in a container, it feels like i find my day focusing on others that its the endof the day when i realise , then i think its too late to bother. So just want the facts and why and if it can be done through food.

My team is super intense about telling us that B12 deficiency can cause severe and irreversible neurological problems.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, leebick said:

That is one main thing I crave all the time is a nice big salad.before my surgery I was a avid salad eater and now I miss that . I take my Calcium with D3 ,multivitamin, B12 every week , I have not started on the Iron as the side effects of iron is Constipation and I personally don't want that and I use the Bariactive Vitamins they come right to my door every month .I'm four months out from surgery . I just wish the craving for salad will go away one day .