Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To eat daily, or not to eat...EGGS!

I love eggs. I like to mix hard boiled eggs with avocados and that gives me a great meal that keeps me full. Now I know avocado is high in fat, but its good fat. When I have my blood work the one thing that my drs are always amazed at it my cholesterol is that of a healthy 30 year old. (I'm 46 and 250 lbs). I contribute it to the avocados and olive oil I consume. Sometimes I eat avocado, Tomato, shallots, and cucumber with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Now mind you, Ive had the band and now awaiting the sleeve. So I'm not entirely sure I could eat any of this post op. I hope so but we will see. Anyway...chat Ching thats my 2 cents worth lol

Duplicate post

Yeah [mention=317167]introversion[/mention] said it. The science is in. Dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol yet some docs keep to that advise and aren't changing with the times.

I also do real bacon!

As for fat (and this applies to bacon directly)... the new science is there is literally a gene (and it's one they have located and can test for) that shows some people are more likely to gain weight with saturated fat. Some AREN'T. So unless you want to shell out for the genetic test (23 and me does it) it's trial and error.

They are working to discover the same for heart health.

As it stands animal fat/saturated fat is the controversial genetics based no one size fits all. It's solid at room temperature. Dairy (butter, cream) and lard are also saturated fats.

Plant fats--olive oil, nuts, avocados--are monounsaturated fats. They are liquid at room temperature and those are the healthy "good" fats.

Polyunsaturated fats are thicker at room temp--fish, oysters, seed oils. These are good too and fish oil especially because it contains omega-3's.

The uncontroversially bad fat is the processed "partially hydrogenated" fat. It's when they take an unsaturated fat and add atoms to make it solid at room temp for the appealing mouth feel. Think margarine and a lot of fried foods. These are the Trans-fats you hear about

For ME--

Even four years out I can't eat a whole egg most days. I don't know the size because we have our own chickens. I couldn't eat eggs without a stomach ache till six months. Now I eat them but they need to be scrambled or sous vide or like a frittata/omelet/quiche. With stuff in it to lubricate.

And I try and avoid processed fats but can do saturated fine. My cholesterol ratio (HDL to LDL which is the best predictor of heart health) is killer good. Like less than 3.5 to 1 is ideal and my numbers are flipped and like 1 to 3.

But the oatmeal? Can't do it personally. Would trigger carb cravings for me for the rest of the day. If I have a longer race (10k or longer) or long run (10 miles or more) I might have some to fuel but otherwise I can't touch the stuff.

I only wish I could eat them. My Dr explained it this way...I don't have an allergy to them because they don't cause hives or breathing problems. But I have an aversion to them. I haven't been able to eat them even before my RNY, unless I wanted to get sick to my tummy bad. Like I said I wish I could eat them because they have so much Protein. Have a great day.

7 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

I only wish I could eat them. My Dr explained it this way...I don't have an allergy to them because they don't cause hives or breathing problems. But I have an aversion to them. I haven't been able to eat them even before my RNY, unless I wanted to get sick to my tummy bad. Like I said I wish I could eat them because they have so much Protein. Have a great day.

I still think we have grown soft. People today aren't working as hard as before. Yes, I also think it stems from the manufacturer foods. We just keep getting farther out from eating GOOD FOR US foods. Our society not everyone but still enough of us don't have the luxury of doing all of our own bottom line GREAT FOODS that we know what is in it.

How far out are you? They made me sick for about six months, then I could tolerate them. Keep trying!

I still think we have grown soft. People today aren't working as hard as before. Yes, I also think it stems from the manufacturer foods. We just keep getting farther out from eating GOOD FOR US foods. Our society not everyone but still enough of us don't have the luxury of doing all of our own bottom line GREAT FOODS that we know what is in it.

Can you elaborate/clarify? I don't understand what you are saying. Thanks

13 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Can you elaborate/clarify? I don't understand what you are saying. Thanks

I think the aforementioned poster is responding to my previous post...the one in which I argue that today's obesity epidemic wasn't caused by less hard work or less physical labor than in past generations.

I mentioned that the thinnest people in today's society are the most sedentary workers: attorneys, investment bankers, financial analysts, CEOs, case managers, etc. People who struggle with weight often have physically laborious jobs as lumberjacks, farmworkers, house cleaners, longshoremen, etc.

Then again, the Wall Street investment banker isn't having Hamburger Helper cheesy noodle bake for lunch, whereas the house cleaner isn't having a heart of romaine salad with veal for lunch.

Diet is 90 percent of the weight loss equation. Exercise is 10 percent.

I think the aforementioned poster is responding to my previous post...the one in which I argue that today's obesity epidemic wasn't caused by less hard work or less physical labor than in past generations.
I mentioned that the thinnest people in today's society are the most sedentary workers: attorneys, investment bankers, financial analysts, CEOs, case managers, etc. People who struggle with weight often have physically laborious jobs as lumberjacks, farmworkers, house cleaners, longshoremen, etc.
Then again, the Wall Street investment banker isn't having Hamburger Helper cheesy noodle bake for lunch, whereas the house cleaner isn't having a heart of romaine salad with veal for lunch.
Diet is 90 percent of the weight loss equation. Exercise is 10 percent.

Got it.

It's an interesting topic/debate for sure!

I was recently re reading aloud from Farmer Boy (Laura Ingalls Wilder/Little House on the Prairie) and just taken aback by the descriptions of the food they'd lay on the table for one meal...

For reference I found this--

https://www.thehairpin.com/2013/07/every-meal-almanzo-eats-in-laura-ingalls-wilders-farmer-boy/

But here's one breakfast:

"oatmeal with plenty of thick cream and maple sugar. There were fried potatoes, and the golden buckwheat cakes, as many as Almanzo wanted to eat, with sausages and gravy or with butter and maple Syrup. There were preserves and jams and jellies and doughnuts. But best of all Almanzo liked the spicy apple pie, with its thick, rich juice and its crumbly crust. He ate two big wedges of the pie."

All at one meal!

But then they go on and he spends the whole day engaged in hard physical labor... feeding animals, building a plow, breaking a colt, training a team of oxen... and then even the play continues and is physical--riding a sled and hauling it up the hill over and over. Dawn to sunset.

So... I got to thinking we sometimes try to eat that way without the need he had to fuel so much.

Anyhow I found it "food for thought" as it were

On 8/18/2017 at 4:54 PM, Introversion said:

Most "heart healthy" options are starchy and processed. Now we have masses of obese people today because people actually followed the advice to stop eating so much fat.

Obesity was rare prior to the 1980s when people ate higher proportions of dietary fat.

I used to believe this, but the science just does not support this. People thought they were eating low fat, but they really weren't. I can eat heart healthy without eating processed foods.

The populations or cultures with the least amount of heart disease and type 2 diabetes, are from Blue Zones. These people live longer healthier lives eating more plants, whole grains, and very little animal Protein or processed foods.

21 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

I used to believe this, but the science just does not support this. People thought they were eating low fat, but they really weren't. I can eat heart healthy without eating processed foods.

The populations or cultures with the least amount of heart disease and type 2 diabetes, are from Blue Zones. These people live longer healthier lives eating more plants, whole grains, and very little animal Protein or processed foods.

I Agree! My nutritionist 7 years ago told me if you just stay in the outer areas of your grocery store and stay away from the middle aisles you'll be doing good. So I have. I NEVER walk down the frozen sections. I dont buy "Fat free or low fat items" and lastly I try to just buy naturally sweetened items that have stevia in them.

25 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

I can eat heart healthy without eating processed foods.

I completely agree with you...my mention of 'heart healthy' processed foods was sarcastic.

The obesity epidemic exploded after people began overeating so-called 'heart healthy' processed foods such as snack Wells Cookies and Frosted Flakes Cereal (these products had the American Heart Association seal of approval on the package for many years).

I happily ate one egg w/ two slices of real bacon on Saturday and one egg and fruit on Sunday. Oh I tell ya, it was wonderful. Today for Breakfast, I have an egg w/ Beans. I used to fear eating eggs, but not anymore. I appreciate all of you!

8 minutes ago, Introversion said:

The obesity epidemic exploded after people began overeating so-called 'heart healthy' processed foods such as snack Wells Cookies and Frosted Flakes Cereal (these products had the American Heart Association seal of approval on the package for many years).

Exactly!!

We really need to research for ourselves and not take what the USDA says as truth. There is a huge conflict of interest and that agency should not be telling us what to eat.

Disclosure: I work for the USDA, but my research is in beneficial insects.