Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To eat daily, or not to eat...EGGS!

1 minute ago, Apple1 said:

I have looked at a few recent publications attempting to show that saturated fat is not related to CHD or stroke. I don't have time to post a detailed review, but many of them suffer from issues also.

Siri-Tarino, Sun, et al. 2010 received money from the National Diary Association, the National Beef Council, and Atkins Nutritionals. In this study they eliminated all subjects with high cholesterol, duh that really makes sense when saturated fat raises cholesterol.

Chowdhury, Warnakula, et al. 2014 actually included people who were on lipid lowering medications.

My point is that you can find issues with just about any study if you look hard enough.

The only reason I posted to this thread was because I just can't see recommending high consumption of eggs. I should have just moved right along and ignored it. I raise my own chickens so my eggs are healthier in my opinion (I haven't done any studies) and I am still not going to continue eating them. There are plenty of doctors that have switched their diets to plant based, and all truly believe the evidence is clear even if it is not proven with double blind clinical studies.

The reason I posted the link to the Campbell article is his statement that there is not 100% verifiable proof that a WFPB diet optimizes health for all people at all times, but he still feels comfortable that the closer we get to consuming WFPB diet the healthier we will be. The data support this, but do not prove it. This is good enough for me. I understand the political climate with which researchers must always deal with. If you have research that disagrees with the current political party you can be sure that if you are a government scientist, it won't be published. You must also always try to follow the money with any published research.

I will see how well my blood work improves over time. My cholesterol and triglycerides have gotten worse eating a low carb diet with moderate to high Protein and fats. I refused a statin drug preferring to to use diet and exercise, and of course the WLS, to hopefully lower my numbers.

One diet is not right for all people, but I believe there is evidence and support for making this change for me. I hope this debate can encourage people to look at studies objectively and decide for themselves. Nutrition is not my specialty, but I do understand the big money, conflicts of interest, and bias involved in many of these studies.

Often during rapid weight loss your cholesterol level and triglycerides will get worse before getting better. If you recheck in 3/6 months you will often see a difference as long as: carbs are sufficiently low, you do not have underlying thyroid disease, and you do not have the genetic form of hypertriglyceridimia. If tris are close or under 100, you can almost gaurantee your cholesterol is made up of the healthy kind.

20 hours ago, Newme17 said:

"Consuming just one egg per day may significantly shorten our lifespans, increase the levels of the cancer-promoting growth hormone IGF-1, and increase our risk of heart disease,  kidney stones, stroke, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, and some types of cancer."

Well, dang! :unsure:

10 minutes ago, heycrystal2052 said:

"Consuming just one egg per day may significantly shorten our lifespans, increase the levels of the cancer-promoting growth hormone IGF-1, and increase our risk of heart disease,  kidney stones, stroke, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, and some types of cancer."

Well, dang! :unsure:

I'm sorry, but respectfully, I don't buy into it. I'm not a good debater. The "facts" are very clearly outlined in this awesome book by Gary Taubes - Good Calories, Bad Calories . His business partner, Dr. Peter Attia also writes a very informative blog and talks about high cholesterol foods and saturated fat and health. And here's another from a very firm source, Authority Nutrition.

Edited by FluffyChix

@jess9395 Oh dayum! Forgot Chris Kresser! Great links!

13 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I will see how well my blood work improves over time. My cholesterol and triglycerides have gotten worse eating a low carb diet with moderate to high Protein and fats. I refused a statin drug preferring to to use diet and exercise, and of course the WLS, to hopefully lower my numbers.

If you had a competent Dr they would know that when you are burning fat in your body your Cholesterol spikes temporarily. It is a "complication" of weight loss. Burning fat releases fat into your blood stream.

You don't know if you have elevated Cholesterol until you have hit maintenance.

Also all this talk about hearts in here. Unfortunately, if you are genetically pre-disposed to having a bad heart, no diet is going to save you. Drugs might prolong your life, but how you eat will be placebo effect at best.

29 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_clinic_study_shows_v.html

1. Lustig RH, Mulligan K, Noworolski SM, et al. Isocaloric fructose restriction and metabolic improvement in children with obesity and metabolic syndrome. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2015.
  2. Macknin M, Kong T, Weier A, et al. Plant-Based, No-Added-Fat or American Heart Association Diets: Impact on Cardiovascular Risk in Obese Children with Hypercholesterolemia and Their Parents. J Pediatr 2015.

The thing is anyone can google and find articles to support what they believe. So the take home message:

Research, but in the end be comfortable with your lifestyle choices including diet. I am happy with mine and I feel great.

Check out the book "How Not to Die" I am listening to it now. Great stuff!!

I don't have time to keep debating this stuff, but really have a great day everyone :)

http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-eggs-should-you-eat#section3

This was interesting. In conclusion, I will continue to enjoy eggs, but I think I will keep my limit to where it once was and as my Dr. permits. Twice a week, I'll enjoy them for Breakfast, but I don't think I'll change eating more than that. If, for some reason I do want more, I'll switch those days to egg whites.

@jess9395 and @Apple1 I give you both a lot of credit for jumping into the fray on this topic. (LOL I wasn't touching it with a 10 foot pole!! ) I appreciate your willingness to share your insights and engage in a thoughtful and respectful exchange of opinions and ideas. I'm always impressed with both of your posts. Thanks :)

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_clinic_study_shows_v.html
  1. Lustig RH, Mulligan K, Noworolski SM, et al. Isocaloric fructose restriction and metabolic improvement in children with obesity and metabolic syndrome. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2015.
  2. Macknin M, Kong T, Weier A, et al. Plant-Based, No-Added-Fat or American Heart Association Diets: Impact on Cardiovascular Risk in Obese Children with Hypercholesterolemia and Their Parents. J Pediatr 2015.

The thing is anyone can google and find articles to support what they believe. So the take home message:

Research, but in the end be comfortable with your lifestyle choices including diet. I am happy with mine and I feel great.

Check out the book "How Not to Die" I am listening to it now. Great stuff!!

I don't have time to keep debating this stuff, but really have a great day everyone [emoji4]

I think a plant based diet is awesome I think you get the wrong idea about me. I just don't think eggs are poison. And eggs are what this thread is about.

51 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

I think a plant based diet is awesome I think you get the wrong idea about me. I just don't think eggs are poison. And eggs are what this thread is about.

I so agree Jess9395 and also think a WFPB diet is awesome (for some people). And I'm always interested to read of peoples' anecdotal experiences with it. I know I will learn by watching/reading those experiences. (Just wanted to set the record straight that I'm not a rabid low carbing carnivore. I'm a very thoughtful omnivore.)

But it seems that unlike vegetarians/vegans (and this is a gross generality, so my apologies for over-generalizing), I just don't want to demonize any sect of food (such as animal protein) or way of eating (other than the SAD--lol I will demonize that one!). Neither do I believe that my diet is the "right" diet for everyone. I believe that the best diet to follow is the one that is right for each individual and is one that can be easily followed every day, consistently--for life, so that it does not promote anxiety or stress within us. I only get riled up when the way I choose to eat is labeled and indicted as unhealthy.

(BTW, I eat "adequate" Protein for my LBM/not high protein, 5-9 veggies+ and some fruit, and healthy fats to make up 900 cals pre-surgery--heading up to 1000cals per my surgeon. That diet includes pastured eggs, pastured/grass fed meats--we hunt wild game, limited dairy, organic produce/seeds/nuts, healthy fats.)

Edited by FluffyChix

I never said eggs were poison. The op wanted to know if she should eat eggs daily and I said I wouldn't. This is my opinion and I posted some links with supporting evidence, not proof. I didn't expect to debate this topic, but it is all good information either way.

I used to think eating low carb with plenty of animal Protein was an improvement over the SAD, and actually it is. However, through my recent research I have come to believe I can do even better.

Since having WLS I have been seeking more knowledge on nutrition and ways to improve my health and the health of my family. I wholeheartedly agree that everyone should eat in a way that they feel comfortable and matches their goals. I have always said this. It is very hard not to share exciting information that is making a difference in your life and not to warn others to be careful. We have the power to heal ourselves through our diet and exercise so I was just sharing. I'm not trying to demonize anyone's diet. Have a great day everyone 😄

@Apple1 I respect you very much and am eagerly watching to read of your success! I actually wasn't referring to either you or to Newme17 when I commented in my last post. Just want to clear the air!

47 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm not a rabid low carbing carnivore

I was for almost a year. I started low carbing in Sept. 2016 in an effort to control my diabetes and lose weight. I wish I would have done more research at that time. Healthy carbs are not my enemy nor are they the cause of my insulin resistance. I never thought I would say that.

Anyway I understand that the topic of diet is a tough one to discuss. We will all defend our choices sometimes until death. I worked with the nicest man for years and his diet consisted of almost completely fast food. Everyday for lunch he would go to a different fast food joint to pick up lunch. He died of a massive coronary and no one was surprised. He wasn't over weight at all, just had a very poor diet. He was only 52.

My high cholesterol numbers were from April, about a month before surgery. I had been losing weight, but not at a rate that I would think would have artificially raised them. I haven't had any blood work yet post-op.

I am confused, going through this thread. Is the arguing about eggs? Or something else? I have not got to the end yet, but are people saying eggs are bad, or are they fine?