To eat daily, or not to eat...EGGS!


85 posts in this topic

Alright, after reading several posts, I have a question.

eggs, the incredible and very edible, egg. My Dr. said we shouldn't be eating eggs daily. Maybe twice a week w/ two strips of turkey bacon, would be my cutoff. I see on other posts, when some are giving their daily intake, eggs and turkey bacon seem to be a daily thing. Also, oatmeal, many people will have that for Breakfast and I've become deathly afraid of it, due to the carbs. My Dr. said the same thing, he said oatmeal would be something he's okay w/ me eating.

What's going on here, did I miss something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 4 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery and I eat one egg each morning. At my stage size is important, the egg must be Jumbo. Large eggs are too small and two eggs are too many. Personally I would stay away from oatmeal due to the carbs. This article describes the approach that I use. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only guess is perhaps your doctor might be one of those old-guard clinicians who still believes (falsely) that consuming eggs daily will raise one's cholesterol levels.

If your doctor also recommends oatmeal over eggs, it seems as if he may be focusing on heart health, cholesterol, and Fiber intake rather than weight loss and maintenance.

I regularly eat two scrambled eggs topped with melted cheddar and five turkey sausage links as a post-workout meal. I've been in the maintenance phase 1 year and eggs are a contributing factor.

Eggs have the highest possible biological value of any protein-containing food that exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

I am 4 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery and I eat one egg each morning. At my stage size is important, the egg must be Jumbo. Large eggs are too small and two eggs are too many. Personally I would stay away from oatmeal due to the carbs. This article describes the approach that I use. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

17 minutes ago, Introversion said:

My only guess is perhaps your doctor might be one of those old-guard clinicians who still believes (falsely) that consuming eggs daily will raise one's cholesterol levels.

If your doctor also recommends oatmeal over eggs, it seems as if he may be focusing on heart health, cholesterol, and Fiber intake rather than weight loss and maintenance.

I regularly eat two scrambled eggs topped with melted cheddar and five turkey sausage links as a post-workout meal. I've been in the maintenance phase 1 year and eggs are a contributing factor.

Eggs have the highest possible biological value of any protein-containing food that exists.

@James Marusek

"I also consume 2 or 3 Adkin’s treats each day for their fat content and to satisfy my sweet tooth." How much fat should be be getting daily? I will admit, this is something I never pay attention to. Are fats like carbs, "good ones vs. the bad"? Great idea, I too feel one egg isn't enough, but I hate to waste food so I've learned to deal with it or I'll add more veggies to fill me up. I never thought about getting bigger eggs, I sure will do that now.

@Introversion

In my egg, I'll usually add turkey sausage, spinach, and a touch of cheese. I'm just so afraid of eating oatmeal, I've almost lost interest in it all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will have to pry them from my cold dead hands (along with the REAL bacon). :D They are a terrific source of choline (great for brain and liver) as well as B vits and fat soluble Vitamins (and don't forget things like zinc and selenium)! For me, if I started my day with oatmeal, I would be a hungry hungry hippo until bedtime. (But I do eat oat Fiber in things without issue!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What fiber heavy foods, do you usually eat? After reading a previous thread, I've decided to buy a fiber supplement. To be honest, I never paid attention to the stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you asking me? If so, I don't know if this will translate to post-surgery life. I mostly try to get a lot of spinach, kale, and swiss chard. I then also sometimes have a Protein smoothie that has frozen spinach, frozen blueberries, 5g of psyllium husks--or I will have Apple Spice (Celestial Seasonings) Ice Tea with 5g of psyllium husks. I also eat these in place of tortillas, but don't know how they would be for post WLS. Bang for the volume buck though, is hands down psyllium husks in ice tea (from my pov).

Coconut Flour Psylli Wraps

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients
Wet Ingredients

Instructions

  1. Combine dry ingredients, stirring to mix well. Pour egg whites into dry ingredients. Stir with a spoon or small spatula until you have an even, lump free batter. Add unfiltered apple cider vinegar at the end. It helps it rise and adds flavor. Batter should be very pourable, like a thin crepe batter.
  2. Heat nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Spray pan with olive oil spray. Measure 3 Tbsp of batter at a time, into a small cup. Pour batter into the pan all at once. Swirl quickly to distribute batter like a round crepe. Cook until set on one side. Edges will begin to curl slightly. Flip and cook on the second side. Each tortilla takes about a minute to 90 seconds to fully cook. Cook, flipping back and forth until you see brown spots on each side and until the tortilla dries out like a tortilla. Cool on a clean dish towel.
  3. If the remaining tortilla batter has thickened too much by the time you make the 6th or 8th tortillas, thin it with more egg whites. (I used up to 1/4 more egg whites, because as the batter sits, it thickens.)
  4. Store cooled tortillas in an airtight container in the fridge up to a week, or freezer up to 1 month.

Notes

People ask if Psylli Wraps freeze well and sadly, we can’t answer that question, because they never last that long in our house. We think you will find these low carb wraps simple to make and tasty beyond belief!

Serving Ideas Serve with your favorite filling. Notes: We really love these tortillas. Who wouldn't love them at 16 Cals per tortilla and only 0.7g Net Carbs per tortilla? We got 8-9 out of our recipe, but think we could have stretched it to 10.

Nutritional Information

Per Tortilla (8 Tortillas/Recipe): 21 Calories; trace Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 2.1g Carbohydrate; 1.4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0.7g Effective Carbs

Per Tortilla (10 Tortillas/Recipe): 16 Calories; trace Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 1.7g Carbohydrate; 1.1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0.6g Effective Carbs

Copyright © 2012 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heycrystal2052 wrote "I also consume 2 or 3 Adkin’s treats each day for their fat content and to satisfy my sweet tooth." How much fat should be be getting daily? I will admit, this is something I never pay attention to. Are fats like carbs, "good ones vs. the bad"? Great idea, I too feel one egg isn't enough, but I hate to waste food so I've learned to deal with it or I'll add more veggies to fill me up. I never thought about getting bigger eggs, I sure will do that now.

After around the first year and a half post op, my nutritionist said each meal should consist of equal amounts of Protein, fats and carbs. But always put protein first. Generally I consume fat in natural forms such as butter, whole milk, eggs, heavy whipping cream, and meat. I do not distinguish between the types of fat. Much of the concern on saturated/unsaturated fats is based more on hype than real science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

heycrystal2052 wrote "I also consume 2 or 3 Adkin’s treats each day for their fat content and to satisfy my sweet tooth." How much fat should be be getting daily? I will admit, this is something I never pay attention to. Are fats like carbs, "good ones vs. the bad"? Great idea, I too feel one egg isn't enough, but I hate to waste food so I've learned to deal with it or I'll add more veggies to fill me up. I never thought about getting bigger eggs, I sure will do that now.

After around the first year and a half post op, my nutritionist said each meal should consist of equal amounts of Protein, fats and carbs. But always put Protein first. Generally I consume fat in natural forms such as butter, whole milk, eggs, heavy whipping cream, and meat. I do not distinguish between the types of fat. Much of the concern on saturated/unsaturated fats is based more on hype than real science.

I bought some chocolate Fa!rLife, I can use that for my daily fat, aside from what I normally get. Even thought I had this surgery almost two year ago, I feel like I'm still learning so much. Thank you, all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, heycrystal2052 said:

How much fat should be be getting daily?

To be honest, I've never counted fat grams, calories, or carbs. The only macro I count is Protein.

I definitely eat plenty of fat. I use real butter, cheese, and full-fat dairy. I eat the fatty 70/30% ground beef. I fry everything in coconut oil.

Contrary to popular notions, dietary fat doesn't make people fat. In fact, the modern day obesity epidemic can be traced back to the early 1980s when health authorities started urging Americans to reduce their fat intake and replace fatty foods with "heart healthy" options.

Most "heart healthy" options are starchy and processed. Now we have masses of obese people today because people actually followed the advice to stop eating so much fat.

Obesity was rare prior to the 1980s when people ate higher proportions of dietary fat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.