Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you HAVE to follow a low carb diet?

I put muscle on fast too, and used to lift heavy as well. Now that I'm back at the gym, I will be lifting twice a week starting out, since I've been away too long from an injury and wls. My doc recommends 60-80g Protein, so I'll stick to this, the 60 at minimum.

Speaking of, do you find most people would guess you weigh less than what you really do, given that you have muscle? A friend of mine couldn't believe I'm 230 lbs. She thought I was 180'ish. Even the past, when I was 150, it was always guessed about 120. It's the way I carry my weight, great muscle. Give my credit to my dad's side of the family. lol

Can you believe that they had me eating 170ish grams of protein!? Ngl my quads and calves looked phenomenal though. And YESS. All my life. I'm 5'9 and weigh 275. I've gained about 20 pounds (which is why I decided on the surgery) but when I was lifting I was 250ish. This is what I looked like at 250 ish. IMG_7455.thumb.JPG.83291e3146a0d01b13d30df5d5c5eca3.JPG

On 6/6/2017 at 9:31 AM, slimmingsteff said:

Can you believe that they had me eating 170ish grams of protein!? Ngl my quads and calves looked phenomenal though. And YESS. All my life. I'm 5'9 and weigh 275. I've gained about 20 pounds (which is why I decided on the surgery) but when I was lifting I was 250ish. This is what I looked like at 250 ish. IMG_7455.thumb.JPG.83291e3146a0d01b13d30df5d5c5eca3.JPG

That's a lot of protein! I don't think I'll ever need that. Lol. But your muscle mass even at 250 is awesome, and see.....you don't look the 250 either in the pic.

That's a lot of protein! I don't think I'll ever need that. Lol. But your muscle mass even at 250 is awesome, and see.....you don't look the 250 either in the pic.

Its the struggle. I think it took me awhile for
me realize, "hey, even if you don't LOOK 250,
you ARE 250, so you ARE susceptible to the health problems around it"

@slimmingsteff BINGO! You hit the nail on the head.

I said depending on their needs. I'm sure some people need more than the perimeters I laid out but I think the average person falls within the numbers I suggested. I keep my Water intake to half my body weight in ounces and thankfully that number is less than 100.

My point was the use of the word 'ideal'. Everybody's needs are different. Some people can't thrive on taking half of they body weight in fluids. So...again...what you suggest is a suggestion. It is not 'ideal', nor do you know what the average person needs.

My point was the use of the word 'ideal'. Everybody's needs are different. Some people can't thrive on taking half of they body weight in fluids. So...again...what you suggest is a suggestion. It is not 'ideal', nor do you know what the average person needs.

My NUT would say it is far more than a suggestion, or even ideal. She would say it is required. But if you need to argue semantics, I'll leave you to it.

I'm too lazy to read all the responses so I apologize if this is repetitive. The need for or need to abstain from carbs is different from person to person. Nutritionists, especially bariatric clinic nuts, seem to just give everyone the same advice. Low carb, low fat, high Protein. I do high intensity interval workouts 5x a week and need complex carbs and healthy fats like avocados like I need air. I make sure to eat carbs like whole grain Pasta and bread only when I know I'm working out the next day. So, I just nod and tell my nutritionist sure sure, love the plan.

I advise going on the IIFYM website to calculate balanced macronutrients for your weight goals and lifestyle. I wish nutritionists would give that advice more often instead of general high this low that.

5 hours ago, KateBruin said:

I wish nutritionists would give that advice more often instead of general high this low that.

Good ones do that. The bad ones could be replaced by a little high-gloss booklet without missing any information. Could save a lot of money.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:24 PM, slimmingsteff said:

Its the struggle. I think it took me awhile for
me realize, "hey, even if you don't LOOK 250,
you ARE 250, so you ARE susceptible to the health problems around it"

Absolutely! I've always had a "thin girl" mentality, so when I saw the number "266" (that was my highest weight), I had to think the same, health problems.

I'm too lazy to read all the responses so I apologize if this is repetitive. The need for or need to abstain from carbs is different from person to person. Nutritionists, especially bariatric clinic nuts, seem to just give everyone the same advice. Low carb, low fat, high Protein. I do high intensity interval workouts 5x a week and need complex carbs and healthy fats like avocados like I need air. I make sure to eat carbs like whole grain Pasta and bread only when I know I'm working out the next day. So, I just nod and tell my nutritionist sure sure, love the plan.

I advise going on the IIFYM website to calculate balanced macronutrients for your weight goals and lifestyle. I wish nutritionists would give that advice more often instead of general high this low that.

This is what I have been hearing for YEARS! So it's what I feel most comfortable eating. Granted, I'm
pre-op but health is health. All these low fat or sugar free items are just loaded with junk chemicals. When I'm working out like crazy, and trust me I go HARD, I eat how you described. I'm all about wholesome and balanced. I'm glad to hear someone say that bc that way is the only way I feel comfortable eating FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE :)

My vote is to do what is good for you! What feels good to you and accomplishes what you are trying to accomplish. There are millions of opinions and plans. Some work for some, some work for others. However, I do believe in eating clean real food without all the artificial frankenfood stuff. We all know simple carbs are bad juju for your body. But I have a hard time believing the carbs, Vitamins, and Fiber in a raspberry is bad for me. I did not get fat eating raspberries or a healthy salad. High saturated fats and simple carbs in a fast food burger got me fat.

2 minutes ago, Brittanae said:

My surgeon just informed me that we need to be matching Protein and carb intake. If you take 60g of Protein then you take in 60 carbs

So then 120g protein and 120g carbs? Doesn't make sense. Unless you're doing strenuous exercise daily and need the immediate availability of the energy carbs bring there's no need for that much carbs. For most people, who live sedentary and low active lifestyles, adequate protein and fat content will supply more than enough energy for their day to day lives.

So then 120g Protein and 120g carbs? Doesn't make sense. Unless you're doing strenuous exercise daily and need the immediate availability of the energy carbs bring there's no need for that much carbs. For most people, who live sedentary and low active lifestyles, adequate protein and fat content will supply more than enough energy for their day to day lives.

120g of protein makes you gain weight if you're sedentary anyways. (of course depending on your height/weight, but I mean in general)

The even protein/carb split sounds like an early stage rule of thumb, which isn't unreasonable and seems like a decent approach to avoiding the problems of the overly low carb set, though it should probably be tailored some for individual needs such as diabetes/insulin resistance. Later on in maintenance stage it should be reviewed to be consistent with higher caloric needs - typically Protein doesn't need to increase but fats and carbohydrates should go up according to individual circumstances and nutritional needs. Protein is only about 20% of my dietary needs, so carbohydrates usually wind up in the 40-50% range (though there is no specific target.)