Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Sleevers, What Changes Have You Noticed?

I love reading about all of these positive changes in such a short amount of time. All of you are truly inspiring! As I was reading through this thread, I forgot to mention that I no longer have to take metformin for diabetes. I was sent home from the hospital not needing it. Such a great feeling to not need diabetes meds so soon!

I started my soft solids stage a day early, and I can say, I sure as hell feel my sleeve's restrictions after 1/3 cup of refried Beans + grated (and melted) block cheddar. Psychologically, the feeling of contentment, knowing my body is satiated (with far less food, and that I've gotten over the garbage foods), and that I'm substantially healthier than even a few months ago, personally, it does wonders for my self esteem and my confidence in better health.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Is the feeling of regret immediate after surgery? Do you think it could be related to the pain you are feeling? I have not had my surgery yet but have read that there is a period of depression kind of like post partum. Is the regret that you cannot eat the food that you are craving? Just want to know what all to expect after the surgery so I can try to be prepared for it.

Thanks,

Becky

Hi everyone! I have my surgery on May 16th, but I have a question for y'all since you've been through it already... most of you have said you crave the old foods but what would happen if you did indulge would you get sick feeling? Also must of you said you are hungry all the time, when you do drink your shakes do you get full really quick?
Oops one more, to the diabetics out there, do you get shaky feeling since your blood sugar might be low?

Thanks everyone! And keep up the great work!

Congrats on your up coming surgery!

For my Journey, I was not hungry AT ALL the first week. I had to keep reminding myself to drink something. The second week, I started to get those "hunger pains" but doing research on this great forum, I found out it's not hunger, its acid. So I started taking my Pepcid's 2 x per day like my Dr told me too and no more hunger pains after about 2 days.

For me the cravings where for what ever came on the TV. EVERYTHING looked so yummy (even stuff that I have never liked) so it wasn't real hunger, its mind hunger. Best way to avoid those feelings for me, was not to watch anything with food in it (miss my food Network), when food commercials came on I turned the channel. I just tried to read, or do some crafting to keep me busy. I have learned to stay away from my habits that made me want to eat (like watching TV).

DO NOT try eating stuff that has not been approved yet. It can cause a lot of damage to your stomach (according to my Dr). Remember your insides are healing just like your outside. And yes, it will be very painful and can may you sick or worse.

Every Dr is different on how long they keep you on each stage (clear liquid 1 week, for me). Which for me was the worst stage. The best thing to do is research online and on this forum of what you can eat on each stage, people have been very creative with recipes that will help you get through it. With Dr. approval I got some Progresso Soups (the ones with broth) I strained out the food and drank the broth, so much more flavor than just plain broth. Just a few baby spoonful's and I was full. But it was savory and flavorful. I also have a cup of hot/warm tea with a little stevia in it. I have several flavors and that helps too.

I am on week 3 now and those mind cravings are starting to go way, since I can eat pureed soups that have flavor (so you don't feel so deprived). It still takes me about an hour to drink a premier shake, cause I get too full. I try to eat (or drink shake) every 2 hours.

Yesterday we had a luncheon at work, so I just ordered the tortilla Soup (without the tortilla's) and I just drank the broth. It was like the best meal ever! :-)

I wish you well on your journey. You can do it! It's only for a very short time and it goes fast.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:12 AM, Pigluva said:

Is the feeling of regret immediate after surgery? Do you think it could be related to the pain you are feeling? I have not had my surgery yet but have read that there is a period of depression kind of like post partum. Is the regret that you cannot eat the food that you are craving? Just want to know what all to expect after the surgery so I can try to be prepared for it.

Thanks,

Becky

Honestly, I think the regret is just a combination of all the really major things going on with the body, mechanically and chemically. For me it was the physical pain, the mental changes and not being able to eat what others are eating (at first) and not having that food freedom (which is precisely why I got the surgery!). The fatigue and feeling useless because I didn't feel like doing anything around the house... The depression / mourning is a very real thing, for me it bubbled to the surface about a week post op and has since fizzled out. You find other outlets for support and stress (journaling, prayer, reading others' success stories). Good luck to you as you go through the journey!

Sleeved 4/12 down 23 lbs counting pre op. I feel like I'm losing slower than most at 13 lbs in nearly 3 weeks. Getting all my Fluid and Protein in too.

I also had my surgery 4/12 and down 20lbs. Sometimes I'm thinking about if someone gonna notice already, lol, because I still don't see it. But I know it's a process so I hope things start to get better(eating, drinking).

Sent from my SPH-L710T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I had my sleeve 4/18, lost 16 pounds during pre- surgery diet and down 12 since surgery. I'm getting all my Protein and liquids in, my calories are under 400.
Threw out a bunch of bras
Shoes that didn't fit, fit
My daughter said Mom you have a waist
Because of bad knees I can't walk a lot but trying to ride bike daily, need to make that more of a commitment!
No issues with wanting to eat other foods even though I'm really sick of Protein Shakes and Soups.< br /> Mentally in a great place, so excited to keep losing and getting more healthy!
Left the hospital with no BP meds

Edited by queendeborahbee

Sleeved on April 13 the down 31 lbs, feel so much better ,face,arms,legs thinner, stomach down some. Have struggles with find food to eat one the pureed stage . Good luck everyone on your new journey .

I had surgery on 4/17 and I'm down 17 lbs since then. What has surprised me the most is that the physical hunger I felt is gone. I have to remind myself to eat actually food (albeit pureed food) instead of sipping on Protein Shakes all day, since my stomach isn't growling or feeling empty.

Funny thing is, while I'm not hungry, I think about food ALL DAY. I never really noticed how many food commercials are on TV! It's definitely in my head though--I'm not salivating but it's like I'm mourning the times I would just go grab some fast food whenever I damn well pleased.

I am so glad to hear how you other April sleevers are doing, I don't feel so alone now!

Thanks,

Becky

I did not regret doing this but the first day and second were no joke. Still have cravings but when it does happen I step up on my scale and remind myself why I did this! Good luck!

Hi everyone! I have my surgery on May 16th, but I have a question for y'all since you've been through it already... most of you have said you crave the old foods but what would happen if you did indulge would you get sick feeling? Also must of you said you are hungry all the time, when you do drink your shakes do you get full really quick?
Oops one more, to the diabetics out there, do you get shaky feeling since your blood sugar might be low?

Thanks everyone! And keep up the great work!

I'm sure if you indulge it will hurt I have been afraid of this feeling so I haven't tried to eat more than 8oz at a time. It still takes me one hour plus to drink my Protein Shake and if I try to do it faster than that I can't finish it. I have to put it in the fridge and finish it later so yes you do get full from it. When I left the hospital I was told to measure my blood sugar at least 3 times a day and if it was low to have some Protein. I tracked my sugar levels for the first 2 weeks and they were in between 80 to 110 so I never really had a really low one. Good luck on your surgery and be ready to be diabetes free!!!