Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you handle changing clothing size ?

I am going to try Plato's closet and the goodwill for some items. Others I'm going to have to just buy. I work in the corporate world and can't get away with to much.

Heading to Old Navy today... My jeans are falling off! I plan on getting rid of things as soon as they get too big and replacing as I go with the bare essentials.

No big shopping splurges until I reach goal weight, but I need to feel like I look nice, not swimming in my old fat clothes.

Clothes have been a frustrating part of this process for me. Even though it should be exciting to put on pants that feel too big, it is also hard to know that you're basically throwing away money on clothes that will only last a month or even less! I got away with leggings and longer shirts for awhile. Old Navy has been my go to place. They have deals online all the time and then you earn bonus dollar that you can use later.

I think there is a sub category forum on Bariatric Pal that is about swapping clothing. I have not used it but you might get some help there.

I belong to gwennie bee and rent my clothing for work. So for $100 a month I swap out my outfits as much as I can. Also I'm selling my plus size clothing on Poshmark to make money for new staple pieces. I also plan to hit goodwill and platos closet!

I've been hitting JC Penny stores around town, they have excellent clearance prices. $4 for yoga pants! I bought 3 different sizes. I've also picked up dress pants there for $10 that will fit me by the fall.

I've been giving all my FAT clothes to my sister! Although she doesn't like me to say Fat clothes but in 7 weeks I'm down from a 16 and 18 to a 12 size my goal is a 6 [emoji3]

I have surgery next week but luckily? have three sizes in my wardrobe from yo yoing regularly. I'm a stay at home mom so it's easier not having to buy smwirk clothes right now. I went and bought some yoga leggings and big shirts but a size down so they'll fit longer. I wanted something stretchy and soft for healing. I also a comfortable pair of slip on sneakers. No bending but I can walk well in them. Besides that I'll probably shop cheap as needed till I reach a smaller size.

I don't want to run out and spend a lot on clothing until I reach goal weight. The goodwill and thrift stores in my area are lackluster . Since am a stay at home mom I don't need anything dressy except for church . Any ideas?

I was think about maybe Sams club? I have a Target near by but the plus size section is nonexistent .

What did you do ?

Zulily became a good friend of mine for cheap and decent looking clothing to get me through my many MANY size changes. I started my journey in a size 32w/34w that were TIGHT and as of now am a 10/12, so there have been lots of changes. Also, try the clearance sections of stores because there are often decent deals to be had on returned clothing. Now that I am where I consider to probably be my end goal or close, I'm putting more money into buying a forever wardrobe. Which is soooo much fun! [emoji16]

Zulily became a good friend of mine for cheap and decent looking clothing to get me through my many MANY size changes. I started my journey in a size 32w/34w that were TIGHT and as of now am a 10/12, so there have been lots of changes. Also, try the clearance sections of stores because there are often decent deals to be had on returned clothing. Now that I am where I consider to probably be my end goal or close, I'm putting more money into buying a forever wardrobe. Which is soooo much fun! [emoji16]

I too use Zulily! They have great deals if you look. I'm pre op, but shopped a bit on Zulily for some tunic shirts and leggings. They have tops from $6.99 and up. They have leggings from $9.99 and up.
My other go to is Woman Within. Huge selection there. They are a plus size catalog store. Take time to look at all their clothes and you can find great buys! They have from size 14/16 up to 5X. Just take time to look for the sales. Almost every day they have some sort of promo or sale. These clothes are well made and comfy. They tend to run big.
Hope that helps! Good luck!

On 4/8/2017 at 11:33 PM, sassifunk said:

I belong to gwennie bee and rent my clothing for work. So for $100 a month I swap out my outfits as much as I can. Also I'm selling my plus size clothing on Poshmark to make money for new staple pieces. I also plan to hit goodwill and platos closet!

I am a bit confused. I went on that site and saw that for that $100 a month you can get three things. You pay $100.00 each month and don't even get to keep the items you selected. At $100.00 a month that seems pricey to me or am I not understanding how this works.

I have been afraid to buy anything as I hate shopping and I haven't any idea what size I would be. At my heaviest I was buying 2 of the same 5X blouses taking 10 inches out of the sides of one of them and adding it to the other blouse. I did buy a Walmart 3x in December as I needed to make it into a ugly shirt for a Christmas party. However since then I haven't bought anything. I have just been sewing in all my clothing. But I am tired of that as I have done it three times. Do any of the stores help you to determine your size and what looks good on you? I have not been in a true clothing store since I was in my 20's that is over 40 years ago. Everything in the last 40 year I have only bought out of a super sized catalog. Has anyone else who weighed as much as I did and lost as much as I have had these feelings and what did you do to get over them? I know I would look and feel better if I got better fitting clothing but I have no idea where to start. I have a huge amount of excess skin and am hiding in my 4 to 5 X tops and pants. I almost feel like I need my own Stacy and Clinton to tell me what to wear.

For me, it's been expensive. I had felt a lot of shame when I was plus-sized. (self inflicted unwarranted shame) . So, as I have been dropping sizes, I feel the need to get at least one pair of new jeans in my newest, smaller size. It's a psychological thing for me. Needless to say I now have a closet full of jeans from size 20 to 8, and my wallet certainly is lighter, too. :blush:

@OutsideMatchInside has a great idea of at least trying the clothes on, so you can see your weight loss even if you don't buy the clothes. I've done that. I've gone in with tons of clothes and left with nothing except for a sense of great satisfactions...a salesperson's nightmare, lol!

I also think @Newbeva has a great idea. Buy leggings. I have a couple pairs that I bought in XL and L that I still put on because they are form fitting even tho they are too big.

Also, I have gone to some of the better thrift/consignment stores in my area.

Have fun with the shedding of sizes. For me, it has been a big moral booster!

I don't want to run out and spend a lot on clothing until I reach goal weight. The goodwill and thrift stores in my area are lackluster . Since am a stay at home mom I don't need anything dressy except for church . Any ideas?

I was think about maybe Sams club? I have a Target near by but the plus size section is nonexistent .

What did you do ?

-I shop my closet.
- I bought 4 pairs of jeggings at Walmart before surgery that have belt loops. They were form fitting before, but still look ok 30 pounds out with a belt.
- My sister recommended a certain brand of diaper pin for baggy clothes issues. It is called Nuby brand. She says they don't open up in the washer or dryer etc. They are almost $5 for 4 on Amazon.< /p>