Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cause it has chemicals in it---flame retardant in some. Sugars, artificial sweeteners, .Not healthy....that's for everyone. But for WLS folks, the effects could be worse. I wouldn't chance it.

Edited by Newme17

I think having him sniff a used tampon is a bit much, I would suggest have him take a whiff of your armpits after a good sweaty workout, maybe that would remind him of exactly what you're doing and why you don't really want to be his taste-tester. As long as he's supportive of you who cares what he eats and drinks, what he consumes is his issue

anything worth doing is Never easy [emoji3]

On 3/23/2017 at 5:53 PM, leebick said:

Absolutely!! Also, it might go against the grain for some, but I didn't have this surgery so I could diet for the rest of my life. I intend to have the occasional adult beverage, dessert, pizza, etc. The difference is NOW I only have a couple of bites/sips and I'm done... not an entire pizza, 6 pints of beer, 2 slices of pie (with ice cream). My real dietary issue was always large portions of "real" food- steak, baked potatoes, bowls full of macaroni-and-cheese, giant burritos, 20 chicken wings, etc. I will never again be able to eat foods in the portions I used to consume, and that's fine with me. I NEVER want to weigh that much again, and can't eat that much anyhow. However, I do not intend to live my life eating just chicken and salad all the time. I will enjoy foods that I choose to eat, in portions I know I can handle. As you said, it won't be excessive, and it WON"T be every day!

(Actually, I'd kill for a real salad. I can't handle it... fills me up almost immediately and I'm in the bathroom within 2 hours. Who knew I'd crave lettuce, tomatoes, onions, beets, carrots, olives, green peppers, and bleu cheese dressing... with croutons!)

I tend to follow this method. It may come as a shocker to some, but I do eat bread and drink soda. Well let me state it more accurately and clearly. I eat small amounts of breads (carbs) weekly, and I may drink a soda once in a blue moon (still very rare for me to consume carbonated beverages). Thing is, I like you, don't eat an entire loaf of bread in 72 hour time span or consume a large pizza in one sitting for lunch. Or try and finish down said pizza with a 2 liter of diet Pepsi. Its all in extremely low moderation now, which is what I needed. I needed the portion controls and the sense of feeling very full and satisfied after a few ounces of food in my tummy and not a few pounds. So I Portion Control like a mother, and I still try and follow the rule of Protein first, veggies/starches second, and carbs last if there is room to spare for them.

The trade off for this consumption of carbs from bread I do indule in, is that I have to burn off what I consume for the day in exercise. Mostly via cardio, but does include some resistance training to boot. So if I had about 80g of carbs then I know that I will need to burn off caloric equivalent of that in exercise for that day. How I do it may not work for everyone else, but it has been working for me.

I think the only thing I could suggest for anyone is that to make sure you have a good understand of the foods you are consuming into your body, as well as having a healthy relationship with food. If someone is getting over food addiction and carbs/sugars were their trigger foods then its probably best for them to avoid those things. Also talk to your doctor/nut about these things before you start consuming them if you have any questions.

Just my $0.02 worth of input here.

2 minutes ago, Sleeveforme2017 said:

Is sparkling Water allowed?

Nope... it's the carbonation that's as bad for you as the empty calories that "regular" soda provides. No regular soda, no diet soda, no sparkling Water, no beer, no champagne... basically nothing bubbly, because the carbonation will fill you and make you really, REALLY uncomfortable!

My NUT told me that as long as it doesn't cause discomfort I can drink seltzer Water.

6 months? our guidelines are no carbonation FOREVER.

I get it. I was an 8 can a day diet pepsi drinker. I seriously considered not getting this surgery JUST BECAUSE I WOULDN'T GET TO HAVE PEPSI ANYMORE. that's how addicted I was, how absolutely convinced I was that pepsi was ~essential to my quality of life~.

it's not. sure the sound of someone popping a can open still makes my mouth Water like pavlov's dog, but I honestly don't miss it. I thought I'd have a moment of weakness, or some serious regret/resentment by now, but I really haven't! it's not a part of my life anymore. unsweetened herbal iced tea is just as refreshing, and the benefits of being this lower weight have really changed my (skewed) perspective on things. I realize now how very very unimportant pepsi really is to my life. I have gained so much... my obsession with my pepsi habit starts to seem absolutely positively RIDICULOUS in hindight. like full on "what was I freakin' thinking!?" on par with how I feel now about all my horrible ex boyfriends I was ~so in love with I would die for~

take it from me, don't let soda be your embarrassing ex!

Edited by teacupnosaucer

18 hours ago, teacupnosaucer said:

6 months? our guidelines are no carbonation FOREVER.

I get it. I was an 8 can a day diet pepsi drinker. I seriously considered not getting this surgery JUST BECAUSE I WOULDN'T GET TO HAVE PEPSI ANYMORE. that's how addicted I was, how absolutely convinced I was that pepsi was ~essential to my quality of life~.

it's not. sure the sound of someone popping a can open still makes my mouth Water like pavlov's dog, but I honestly don't miss it. I thought I'd have a moment of weakness, or some serious regret/resentment by now, but I really haven't! it's not a part of my life anymore. unsweetened herbal iced tea is just as refreshing, and the benefits of being this lower weight have really changed my (skewed) perspective on things. I realize now how very very unimportant pepsi really is to my life. I have gained so much... my obsession with my pepsi habit starts to seem absolutely positively RIDICULOUS in hindight. like full on "what was I freakin' thinking!?" on par with how I feel now about all my horrible ex boyfriends I was ~so in love with I would die for~

take it from me, don't let soda be your embarrassing ex!

Whew..

tenor.gif

I was hopelessly addicted to Diet Coke for most of my life. I drank it right up until 3 days before my surgery in September. Even if I could tolerate it (maybe I could, maybe I couldn't; I'm not sure), I won't bring it back because, unlike some people, I do miss it. Trust me, one diet coke today, will bring about three tomorrow, and within a week, I'll be right back where I was. I worked too hard to purge myself of soda to bring it back in any quantity.

That's also why I am so strict about carbs. There is no moderation. I just can't do that either.

Serious diet coke addict here, I'm preop and gave it up a mo th ago. I drink ice tea w tiny amount of sweet n low and I am fine. I have given it up in the past because it hurts my joints, and then I would consume one, then a couple and then back up to six. Nope. Not doing it this time. I miss that first morning throat clearing slug but my body thanks me for not drinking it.

31 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

I was hopelessly addicted to Diet Coke for most of my life. I drank it right up until 3 days before my surgery in September. Even if I could tolerate it (maybe I could, maybe I couldn't; I'm not sure), I won't bring it back because, unlike some people, I do miss it. Trust me, one diet coke today, will bring about three tomorrow, and within a week, I'll be right back where I was. I worked too hard to purge myself of soda to bring it back in any quantity.

That's also why I am so strict about carbs. There is no moderation. I just can't do that either.

I would totally get right into drinking diet pepsi all the time too. even though I DON'T currently miss it, I know there's no such thing as "just one" for me either. as soon as I had that taste I'd be hooked all over again. sometimes you just have to give things up. (solidarity fistbump)