Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I drink a 12Oz Coke Zero every day at almost 3.5 years out. My ONLY vice.

I don't smoke.

I don't drink alcohol.

I eat clean 85% of the time.

I run 5 days a week.

My stomach has not stretched out any more than it normally would at 3.5 years out. Even if so, I still weigh and measure everything, so stretching won't matter because I make good choices most of the time and am not overly dependent on the tool itself, because as the years go on, the tool becomes moot.

As of right now, I am 1 pound below my original goal weight of 140.

You look at your respective surgeons rules, and figure out what works for you and what doesn't and roll with it. I hate absolutes.

Edited by Greensleevie

32 minutes ago, Greensleevie said:

I don't smoke.

I don't drink alcohol.

I run 5 days a week.

My stomach has not stretched out any more than it normally would at 3.5 years out. Even if so, I still weigh and measure everything, so stretching won't matter because I make good choices most of the time and am not overly dependent on the tool itself, because as the years go on, the tool becomes moot.

You look at your respective surgeons rules, and figure out what works for you and what doesn't and roll with it. I hate absolutes.

I love that which you said in bold. The surgery itself is a tool. Your stomach is gonna eventually stretch out a bit from where it was post surgery. Its the choices and habits you form during this time that is going to make you either succeed at this game of weight loss or fail at it. I'll be 3 years in Dec so I know that my "tool" is nearing its expiration period, and at this point any more loss of weight is purely on me and the choices I make, the foods I consume, and the exercising or lack of exercising I am choosing to do.

1 hour ago, Greensleevie said:

I don't smoke.

I don't drink alcohol.

I run 5 days a week.

Congrats on your vice.

Soda was my vice too, and was the biggest reason for me as to:

1) Blood pressure and heart rate advances:

- Peaked at 170/115 bp (WITH BP meds + metoprolol), RHR of 100-110 bpm

- By the end of my pre-op diet and not a drop of soda, my BP was 105-120/65-90 and RHR was 50-60

- While sugar is the biggest culprit with soda in large quantities, caffeine plays a big role too.

2) Liver damage. One can of soda is too much sugar (thus carbs) for the body for an average person either sedentary or low activity. The liver has no choice but to convert the excess into fatty acids and distribute it throughout the body. It also begins replacing hepatocytes with fat causing irreversible damage. In some people this process happens slower so they won't see the damage until years later, but in others it happens faster.

3) Severe addiction issues.

Given what it's done to me, in a much quicker span of time than it does to others, it makes no sense to have this crap anymore. Pure carbs, sugar, and caffeine with absolutely no nutritional benefit to it. While I don't begrudge others for making this choice, it's simply a dumb thing to brag about on a forum where people are trying to get off this stuff.

2 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

Congrats on your vice.

Soda was my vice too, and was the biggest reason for me as to:

1) Blood pressure and heart rate advances:

- Peaked at 170/115 bp (WITH BP meds + metoprolol), RHR of 100-110 bpm

- By the end of my pre-op diet and not a drop of soda, my BP was 105-120/65-90 and RHR was 50-60

- While sugar is the biggest culprit with soda in large quantities, caffeine plays a big role too.

2) Liver damage. One can of soda is too much sugar (thus carbs) for the body for an average person either sedentary or low activity. The liver has no choice but to convert the excess into fatty acids and distribute it throughout the body. It also begins replacing hepatocytes with fat causing irreversible damage. In some people this process happens slower so they won't see the damage until years later, but in others it happens faster.

3) Severe addiction issues.

Given what it's done to me, in a much quicker span of time than it does to others, it makes no sense to have this crap anymore. Pure carbs, sugar, and caffeine with absolutely no nutritional benefit to it. While I don't begrudge others for making this choice, it's simply a dumb thing to brag about on a forum where people are trying to get off this stuff.

Coke Zero has no sugar and no calories, hence the "zero". I don't drink empty calories.

One 12 oz soda a day isn't going to give me enough caffeine to cause any adverse effects. My surgeon isn't anti caffeine and never has been.

Not bragging at all. Just saying what works for me may not necessarily work for you, and that all the alarmist attitudes I see many times from newer post ops are unfounded and unnecessary. Each of us find what works.

And by the way, my labs are also perfect.

But you do you!

47 minutes ago, Greensleevie said:

Coke Zero has no sugar and no calories, hence the "zero". I don't drink empty calories.

One 12 oz soda a day isn't going to give me enough caffeine to cause any adverse effects. My surgeon isn't anti caffeine and never has been.

Not bragging at all. Just saying what works for me may not necessarily work for you, and that all the alarmist attitudes I see many times from newer post ops are unfounded and unnecessary. Each of us find what works.

And by the way, my labs are also perfect.

But you do you!

So do you also go to an alcoholics anonymous forum and brag about being able to drink booze? I mean, since we're talking about what works for you.

4 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

So do you also go to an alcoholics anonymous forum and brag about being able to drink booze? I mean, since we're talking about what works for you.

Oh, stop being so dramatic. That's a total false narrative. It's a Coke Zero. I'm not forcing anyone else to drink it. We're all adults here, and make our own choices. Your choice is to not drink it. Okay, awesome! Go you!

You don't get to dictate what we can and can't say on a public internet forum. You ALSO don't get to dictate what is considered 'good' or 'bad' for me.

Here's my disclaimer:

*Don't try this at home.

Happy?

Now put me in ignore so you don't have to see any more of my evil Coke Zero drinking posts. I'm sorry if I triggered you.

11 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

And now that I've searched this users posts, I just realized I'm feeding a troll. My bad.

How am I a troll? For the sheer fact you don't like my posts?

That's not being a troll. I'm a WLS patient with 3.5 years under my belt giving honest advice and no nonsense feedback. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now put me on ignore.

3 hours ago, Greensleevie said:

This is the most important thing on this forum and in post op life but 90% of sleevers/RNY/WLS patients in general don't follow. If you weigh and measure all your food. You won't know how "stretched" your sleeve is or not. If you just rely on restriction to control your portions, eventually that control is going to be very different.

I don't drink soda. I think it is basically a stupid habit at this point.

I've had a couple rum and cokes since surgery. I've had some Mimosas. Carbonation does not hurt, it doesn't stretch your stomach. When people say this I seriously question their scientific understanding.

Soda doesn't interest me, so I don't drink it. I will Celebrate with Champagne for the rest of my life whenever I feel like it and I won't ruin the holy church of Brunch by not drinking a Mimosa with my meal (yes, I drink and eat every now and then*gasp*).

However, I didn't do these things until I lost most of my weight and was around a year or more post-op. Sucking down soda in a newly minted stomach is just dumb and reckless but everyone who has surgery is an adult and can make their own choices, good or bad.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

On 5/5/2017 at 6:26 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

This is the most important thing on this forum and in post op life but 90% of sleevers/RNY/WLS patients in general don't follow. If you weigh and measure all your food. You won't know how "stretched" your sleeve is or not. If you just rely on restriction to control your portions, eventually that control is going to be very different.

I've had a couple rum and cokes since surgery. I've had some Mimosas. Carbonation does not hurt, it doesn't stretch your stomach. When people say this I seriously question their scientific understanding.

Soda doesn't interest me, so I don't drink it. I will Celebrate with Champagne for the rest of my life whenever I feel like it and I won't ruin the holy church of Brunch by not drinking a Mimosa with my meal (yes, I drink and eat every now and then*gasp*).

However, I didn't do these things until I lost most of my weight and was around a year or more post-op. Sucking down soda in a newly minted stomach is just dumb and reckless but everyone who has surgery is an adult and can make their own choices, good or bad.

This was probably the best response I've seen yet.

My doc said forever...I have regular soda every once in a while, and rarely finish the can. Used to drink tons of diet, but yes the whole diet soda causing sugar cravings thing is a problem.

On 2017-05-05 at 5:26 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

I'm glad you said that about mimosas tbh! I'm definitely never going back to pop because I know it's leading down a dark dark path for me LOL, but I was very sad thinking I couldn't have a Magners on a hot summer day!

My experience only:

I don't drink sodas (regular or diet) because they're full of chemicals and don't offer nutritional value. I'd rather fill up my small stomach with something that tastes better and serves my body well. It's what works for me.

Soda i dont care for it i was a gingeral fanatic buy now i drink semi flat sparkling Water i have trouble with air Gettin trapped in my chest it helps to release it

BigBodyBombFace