Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I drink soda occasionally, and beer. I ONLY drink diet soda- I can't remember when I started, but it's been decades. I'll occasionally have a little diet Mountain Dew, or diet root beer (maybe once a month or less). I can't drink much of anything without getting overly full, so it's a balance. I also have trouble drinking Water. One liquid that's worked for me is diet root beer, but I pour a can into a glass and let it sit overnight to get flat. THEN I drink it!

I love this comment. Summer is coming up & my favorite thing to drink was a root beer float. I'll ask for a diet root beer float. I gotta admit, I miss my carbonated drinks. Beer is another summer favorite of mine.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 180.8
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I was never a soda person maby three or four per year & it would have to be flat because the carbonation would make my eyes super watery and cause flacuance.

Everyone is different. Carbonation doesn't "hurt" me anymore than anything else does when I drink it, but honestly, I've had sips of soda three times, and 3 or 4 beers, in the six months since I had my surgery. I can never finish a beer- I can't finish a 4oz. taster. I am a cheap date these days! Also... I know it's said a LOT, but the carbonation in a few sips of beer or soda will NOT stretch anything. Your insides are made of WAY stronger stuff!!

The real issue here is addressing why people want to resume old, bad habits (sugary-drinks, empty calories, etc.) and eat around their surgery. It's one thing to decide to have a small drink occasionally to be sociable, sip at it slowly, stop when you can and not finish it, as opposed to longing for your old favorites and wondering how soon you can start drinking again.

Edited by leebick

I'm a year and a half out and have diet coke regularly. For the first few months, the carbonation bothered me because I felt like it was always on the verge of coming back up, but around month 6, it started to feel a lot better.

Had my op on October last year and I have to say that teaspoon sized sips of low cal tonic Water are a fantastic treat.... However, they are more of a refreshing mouth rinse than a drink. After about 4/5 teaspoon sized sips I find I've had enough. I would hate to drink a full mouthful down in one...... I think I may explode lol

On 3/5/2017 at 1:02 PM, MissKay said:

Empty calories. High sugar content. Empty carbs. High fructose corn Syrup. The list goes on and on. The biggest thing is once post-op, a lot of people can't tolerate the carbonation. I'm lucky that I can, but I stay far away from soda because there is no health benefit to it at all.

Everything she listed. The biggest one though is that the carbonation will cause so much bloating and pain that the feeling of that alone isn't worth it. Add on to the fact the carbs, calories, and fructose in it, do you really wanna drink 300-500 calories in a 12oz can of soda when at most you'll be luck to get 1K-1500 calories in a day period?

Use that time to focus on healthier habits. Trust me when I tell you the habits you form early on, will indeed pay off. And if the price of having a healthier quality of life is to give up cola, then give up the damn cola.

Sorry if I came off preachy like. Not trying to be a hard ass about it. Its just that I been down that road, and the bloating, oh dear god the bloating wasn't worth it. So if I can spare someone by not going though the same bone head mistakes I went though early on, then I will try.

What I have found now that I'm a few years out is that I can tolerate carbonation more better than I could early on from the surgery. I still try and avoid soda as much as I can. However Crush has their flavor packs that you can add to Water so whenever I am craving an orange soda, I just do a pack of that. There is no carbonation in it, and they are 5 calories a pack, way way less than a can of normal Crush orange soda that is like 350 calories a can. It helps with the cravings sometimes, but I still make it a habit to not over do it with those. Maybe a pack or two a day at best. Mostly consuming coffee, tea, and water (mostly plan, however flavored enhanced).

I was told the same thing in regards to the gas (carbonation) from soda having the chance to stretch the pouch, but it also would depend on how much a person would drink of it, have never been a huge soda fan in the first place But have always enjoyed Seltzer Water, am at this point 11 months post op and every now and then I'll pour a glass of soda take a couple of sips and just not want any more, same thing with the Seltzer., Was trying to have Seltzer as a way to get in the water because I'm one of the many people who just can't stand plain water., So I have been using the crystal light single serves to add to my water bottles. Also am not huge on most juices but depending on which one you drink, they are very high in sugar. I was told by my Dr that I'm far enough post op that using a straw should not be an issue at this point. Good luck to everyone and anything you are unsure of, ask your Dr's first, but if you want those second opinions we can help.

anything worth doing is Never easy [emoji3]

My husband is constantly after me to try a bite of this or that or a sip of his drink... I always tell him no because I'm avoiding the carbs he is always offering and the soda... today he insisted I try a sip of his Baja Blast (Mountain Dew) so I sipped the tiniest sip you ever saw - barely enough to taste it really, and I was sorry within seconds. The carbonation felt terrible when it got to my stomach, and it was SOOOO sweet (I was a regular Dew addict - like that is ALL you EVER saw me drink for YEARS with the exception of an occasional glass of sweet tea)... I gave up all sodas back in December and MAN that stuff was like sickly sweet and syrupy and the carbonation was very uncomfortable for several seconds... I won;t give in again... I told him as much moments later lol

The real issue here is addressing why people want to resume old, bad habits (sugary-drinks, empty calories, etc.) and eat around their surgery. It's one thing to decide to have a small drink occasionally to be sociable, sip at it slowly, stop when you can and not finish it, as opposed to longing for your old favorites and wondering how soon you can start drinking again.

I do long for my old favorites but know the difference. Diet root beer floats, beer, & wine are "bad" but I did not swear them off. I will ONE day drink these again because I want & choose too. It won't be excessive & everyday.

Shoot, it's better than when I used to drink Starbucks frappucinos, milk shakes, etc... I could live without those now.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 180.8
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

1 hour ago, AGreenEyedWolf said:

My husband is constantly after me to try a bite of this or that or a sip of his drink... I always tell him no because I'm avoiding the carbs he is always offering and the soda... today he insisted I try a sip of his Baja Blast (Mountain Dew) so I sipped the tiniest sip you ever saw - barely enough to taste it really, and I was sorry within seconds. The carbonation felt terrible when it got to my stomach, and it was SOOOO sweet (I was a regular Dew addict - like that is ALL you EVER saw me drink for YEARS with the exception of an occasional glass of sweet tea)... I gave up all sodas back in December and MAN that stuff was like sickly sweet and syrupy and the carbonation was very uncomfortable for several seconds... I won;t give in again... I told him as much moments later lol

Tell him you'll take a sip of his drink if he'll get a good whiff of a used tampon. (lets hope he has a sense of smell otherwise this backfires)

10 minutes ago, CocoNina said:

I do long for my old favorites but know the difference. Diet root beer floats, beer, & wine are "bad" but I did not swear them off. I will ONE day drink these again because I want & choose too. It won't be excessive & everyday.

Shoot, it's better than when I used to drink Starbucks frappucinos, milk shakes, etc... I could live without those now.

Absolutely!! Also, it might go against the grain for some, but I didn't have this surgery so I could diet for the rest of my life. I intend to have the occasional adult beverage, dessert, pizza, etc. The difference is NOW I only have a couple of bites/sips and I'm done... not an entire pizza, 6 pints of beer, 2 slices of pie (with ice cream). My real dietary issue was always large portions of "real" food- steak, baked potatoes, bowls full of macaroni-and-cheese, giant burritos, 20 chicken wings, etc. I will never again be able to eat foods in the portions I used to consume, and that's fine with me. I NEVER want to weigh that much again, and can't eat that much anyhow. However, I do not intend to live my life eating just chicken and salad all the time. I will enjoy foods that I choose to eat, in portions I know I can handle. As you said, it won't be excessive, and it WON"T be every day!

(Actually, I'd kill for a real salad. I can't handle it... fills me up almost immediately and I'm in the bathroom within 2 hours. Who knew I'd crave lettuce, tomatoes, onions, beets, carrots, olives, green peppers, and bleu cheese dressing... with croutons!)