Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is choosing to keep surgery a secret?

I don't plan on telling a soul. Not even my mom except maybe to say I'm going to Mexico for the weekend and to check up on me. Any vets who went the same route? How did you deal with questions? Any pre-op folks deciding to keep it to themselves?

I think most people keep it a secret. Other people just don't understand. I didn't tell anyone besides my husband and kids before surgery but I have been open about it since then. I am a big mouth though, I don't keep secrets well. Before the surgery I didn't want anyone trying to talk me out of it but now it's too late for that.

After the surgery you can just tell people you are working with a doctor, eating healthy and low carb, which is all true! Then when they notice the weight loss just say thank you.

I plan too... I don't need the "just goto the gym" blah blah blah... if it was that easy i wouldn't be here .. people just don't understand ... Good Luck Hun and keep us posted:)9

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've only told 2 close friends and my siblings. I didn't tell my elderly mother as she'd likely object and I didn't want to engage in that argument.

No regrets. I wasn't interested in hearing everyone's opinion and having to justify.

I haven't told many people. Only immediate family knows plus one nay sayer. I realized I didn't want to field the "oh you're just going the easy route" comment. That's just ignorance. Besides, I know what I want and what I'm doing and am not looking for approval.

I apologize in advance for negative people who will hurt your feelings. I know what it's like to feel like you are finally doing something good for yourself and being shot down by others.

Best of Luck!!!

I just told the ppl close to me no one else needs to know : ) But since this is surgery I had to let the ppl who love me know.

I've only told 5 people outside of my mom, who I know will by my support system. 2 of them have had the surgery on the other 2 and my boyfriend have always had my back and support through many things. I was hesitant to tell my mom because she's so against surgeries but she was really supportative. I didn't hear the blah, blah, blah that I thought I would have to hear. She ended up telling my dad and his response was shocking as well as supportative.

I'm new to the forum, but had to share here. My husband is my biggest supporter and I have only told my mom. My mom has had the lap band, so she at least understands. I don't feel like answering to anyone about what I choose to do. I'm a yo-yo with my weight so when I lose, it won't be a surprise to most. Keeping it off will be the surprise

Just my husband and children know... Then my daughter told her boyfriend, who told his dad. And, well... now, I'm wishing I would not have told anyone other than my husband. I joined a closed support group on FB, but apparently your "friends" can see what closed groups you belong to... and, I was recently confronted by an estranged friend that I belonged to a VSG support group. If you want to keep it a secret, tell no one. People are so judgmental.

Work thinks it's a hiatal hernia. A few family members know the truth. I find it hard to lie, but I'm not really close to anybody at work, and I don't want any judgey stares or whispers.

@@Kila Rass

I told immediate family and a friend that lives out of state. It's not like I could hide the rapid weight loss.( 6 months to goal) My weight loss became the topic every time people ran into me. Many people have speculated I had surgery.

Being honest. People know. Even when you tell them your eating healthy and exercising.

two and a half years later. Life is normal. No more shock. No more discussing weight loss. People just except this is me now.

I'm totally the opposite... I'm telling everyone! I'm so excited, and I want all my friends and family to keep me accountable and cheer me on! Plus, I want to kind of help reduce the stigma around it. I'm even blogging about it!

www.becomingaloserblog.wordpress.com

Not saying my way is the right way... just the route I chose!