Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I felt like everyone was staring at me at the gym

I walked into a gym once and a smart ass little punk suggested I go to the old ladies' pool at a nearby church. So, we had a pool built, I bought swim flippers for laps, and a recumbent bike. Crime is too bad in my town to get out and walk.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I want to say it's your own insecurity. We tend to manifest things based on our own fears--- remember monsters under the bed? I know when I'm at the Gym I'm not focused on anybody but me. Now I have caught a few stares on that treadmill but it's mostly from guys and I know they were watching my ass wobble wobble. Treadmills face-- forward butts are to the perimeter-- mirrors also face forward so I caught 1 or 2 take a double take and right before walking into the locker room pause for about 5-6 seconds to watch a little longer before going in. I was used to it so it amused me to catch them staring. Not sure now... doesn't happen as much.

NOW I will say, I was following a you tuber and she talked about gymtimidation. She lost over 100 lbs on her own and when she first started going to this certain gym-- she felt the same way. This certain gym had a reputation and many of their patrons were very trim and fit. She talked about how the women were dressed in cute or expensive workout gear from head to toe, the men were extremely fit. She felt that they were just there to hangout and meet up and look cute. Sometimes she felt like they were looking at her like "what are you even doing here"? She kept going and saying to herself "just wait". Once the weight started coming off of her-- she no longer felt that way. She is now a personal fitness trainer in the same gym and she admits she herself judged them unfairly.

She mentioned that these people signed up for her classes. She saw their dedication, their hard work and believed they were some of the hardest working people she has come across. She even mentioned how many of these same people tell her "I remember when you first started coming and how hard you worked and I would say Go GIRL!! Get it! or I was cheering you on". So I stated all of that to say-- I don't want to totally blame your fear on feeling that way because it does happen. But these same people who are "staring" might be silently rooting for you. This should be a motivator for you-- keep going. Work harder. And in your head keep repeating "Just Wait".

It's a self-esteem thing. Nobody's looking at you...and even if they do, whatever. I mean, everyone gets started somewhere, right? Nobody walks through the gym doors and "poof" they're fit! :)

I avoid the "meat market" chains where it's more fashion show than workout (like 24 Hour Fitness or Ballys, etc...). I'm a member of Planet Fitness and they make it a point to establish a culture of "fitness for everyday folks" there. I like it pretty well...you get people of all fitness levels there.

It's a self-esteem thing. Nobody's looking at you...and even if they do, whatever. I mean, everyone gets started somewhere, right? Nobody walks through the gym doors and "poof" they're fit! :)

I avoid the "meat market" chains where it's more fashion show than workout (like 24 Hour Fitness or Ballys, etc...). I'm a member of Planet Fitness and they make it a point to establish a culture of "fitness for everyday folks" there. I like it pretty well...you get people of all fitness levels there.

all we have is snap fitness in our small town. It's what you refer to as a "meat market" lol

I want to say it's your own insecurity. We tend to manifest things based on our own fears--- remember monsters under the bed? I know when I'm at the Gym I'm not focused on anybody but me. Now I have caught a few stares on that treadmill but it's mostly from guys and I know they were watching my ass wobble wobble. Treadmills face-- forward butts are to the perimeter-- mirrors also face forward so I caught 1 or 2 take a double take and right before walking into the locker room pause for about 5-6 seconds to watch a little longer before going in. I was used to it so it amused me to catch them staring. Not sure now... doesn't happen as much.

NOW I will say, I was following a you tuber and she talked about gymtimidation. She lost over 100 lbs on her own and when she first started going to this certain gym-- she felt the same way. This certain gym had a reputation and many of their patrons were very trim and fit. She talked about how the women were dressed in cute or expensive workout gear from head to toe, the men were extremely fit. She felt that they were just there to hangout and meet up and look cute. Sometimes she felt like they were looking at her like "what are you even doing here"? She kept going and saying to herself "just wait". Once the weight started coming off of her-- she no longer felt that way. She is now a personal fitness trainer in the same gym and she admits she herself judged them unfairly.

She mentioned that these people signed up for her classes. She saw their dedication, their hard work and believed they were some of the hardest working people she has come across. She even mentioned how many of these same people tell her "I remember when you first started coming and how hard you worked and I would say Go GIRL!! Get it! or I was cheering you on". So I stated all of that to say-- I don't want to totally blame your fear on feeling that way because it does happen. But these same people who are "staring" might be silently rooting for you. This should be a motivator for you-- keep going. Work harder. And in your head keep repeating "Just Wait".

Very encouraging story. Thank you for sharing

all we have is snap fitness in our small town. It's what you refer to as a "meat market" lol

Very encouraging story. Thank you for sharing

Furthermore, I WISH we had more of a variety. Since snap is out only gym for miles and miles, they have zero competition and charge $50 a month. Extra fee for yoga room, tanning, etc.

Yikes man, too expensive. I'd almost buy a used exercise bike and some free weights instead...after one year at that gym, you'll have already spent $600.

Is there a a community center or YMCA? Those might be a better option for you.

Is there a a community center or YMCA? Those might be a better option for you.

No. I live in a very small town. We have 1 stoplight. lol. All of the surrounding towns are the same. We just got the gym a couple years ago.

Yikes man, too expensive. I'd almost buy a used exercise bike and some free weights instead...after one year at that gym, you'll have already spent $600.

If only I had the room for it. My son is due to leave for the marines in July. I plan to put some exercise stuff in his room when he does.

No one's looking at you and judging. They're thinking about themselves or possibly worried they're being judged. Just focus on you and be mindful only of what's going on with your body. FTW.

I bet they weren't looking at you, and if they were, they were probably thinking, "Good for her." Believe me, if they were looking at you, they will be the first ones to tell you how great you are looking when the weight starts falling off. People can be mean but I honestly feel like when they are at the gym, they are more concerned about how they look. Please don't let your new journey be hampered by what you think others might be thinking. Their opinion doesn't count. Walk into that gym, hold your head up high and start exercising. All the sweating is helping you melt fat. The heavy breathing will lessen as you get more fit. You will start to see many NSVs and you are going to rock that new body!!!

I totally agree with you. I have been going to the gym at least twice a week and working out with a trainer. At first I felt a little self concious. I would look around to see if anyone was watching me, they weren't. People at the gym for the most part are concerned with themselves. The more I sweat the more proud of myself I am. I picture those calories burning out of my body. I do one session working on upper body and the next

One on working lower body. Both with weights. When I first started I couldn't even lift just the bar for leg presses. I felt humiliated. My trainer told me, soon I'd be able to press that bar up using legs (he had to help me) then one day I got on that freaking press and lifted the bar by myself. Hot damn was so excited I screeched loudly I DID IT! Mind you for the most part I'm in a room with mostly men, young and hunks. Lol

Lots of them chuckled and yelled congratulations. I'm now up to pressing bar and 10#'s :)

You got to start somewhere. Put your ear buds in and rock out. The more you go the easier it gets. Oh and awesome for doing 2 miles on treadmill :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

Ok no questions, just venting and since my surgery is a secret, this is the only place I can do that. Today was the first day I went to my local gym. It was too cold to walk outside so I went to do my 2 miles on the treadmill. All of the treadmills are against the wall where your backside is facing the entire gym. Then any machine anyone else uses they have their face pointed right at my rear end. I don't know if it was just me being self conscious or if people really were staring. I could feel it. Everyone in there was super fit except me and one older gentleman that was on the bicycle. As I was leaving a group of 4 ladies, varying in size but around my size showed up and by then, they were the only ones in the gym. Everyone else had left. If I hadn't already been humiliated, I would have introduced myself in hopes of "gym buddies". I went at 6:30 and left around 8 so maybe I just need to start going later. Or maybe, I'm being my old obsessive self again and nobody was really judging me. I felt like I could feel my ass jiggling with every step. I felt like I was sweating more than I should and they all noticed. I felt like I was breathing more rapid that I should have been and they noticed that too. I tried to turn my iPod on full blast to drown out the thoughts but it didn't work. I know I'm too hard on myself. I planned to stay and do some more after the treadmill but my spirit was broken. I did however finish my 2 miles on a steep elevation. I was determined to do that. But just kinda left after that. It took a lot for me to even walk in there. So, I'm discouraged.......again

Guys stare at butts. I find myself doing it too lol. But yes there will be people who stare. I started 460lbs at the gym and got many stares and still do at 390.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using the BariatricPal App

I remember going to a boot camp class at my heaviest and leaving literally in tears. No one said anything or even looked at me the wrong way but I couldn't breathe I had asthma and I was so winded doing the routine I had to sit down and use my inhaler. I left in a panic because I was so embarrassed with myself. It was one of the reasons I had the surgery.

Edited by FayBee