Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I felt like everyone was staring at me at the gym

I'm a gym newbie. I just stepped on the treadmill for the first time. The owner showed me how to use everything, but I look so ridiculous on the machines, I feel those eyes on me. I know I have to face this fear, but it doesn't mean I don't feel it. It's getting cold and my options are getting limited. We can do this, we gotta do what must be done. Next time you feel those eyes, remember, other people feel just like we do. Don't let this stop you. I'm not. I know you won't either. I'll be thinking of how awesome you're doing when I'm scared too.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

You are right. I have one free personal trainer appointment. Maybe I will use it and also be introduced to the machines so that I don't feel so intimidated by everything. I made a beeline for the treadmill when I got there because it's all I knew how to work. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

i too don't like going to the gm but i go. It does feel like gyms are for skinny people who dont need to loose weight and work out. But hey I need to do this so screw them and i put in my headphones and away i go. Sometimes i even will close my eyes and just push thru. Its hard but you gotta just know that this is the best for you. Good luck and keep going. [/quote

Thank you

I'm 99 percent sure they weren't judging you. I've been going to the gym 3-6 times a week for 10 years, even at my heaviest. After you see the same people there a few times, you'll feel more comfortable chatting with them - it's one of my favorite places :)

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm not gonna give up. Was just down after leaving and wanted to vent.

I felt the same way at the gym at first, but from my experience of what I've seen is unless people are coming up to you saying your doing a great job and stuff like that, then people don't really notice others... The few times I've seen people "judging" others was to bigger men and they were encouraging them. You gotta get out of your head and remember why your there, and that you will most likely only see those people at the gym! And sooner than later you will look like those fit people and possibly feel the same way but that there checking you out lol

You are right and I cannot wait!!!

Keep going. Like everyone said it is unlikely anyone was staring at or judging. Anyway you will knock them dead with progress you make!

I balance my gym days with home gym days for convenience and peace -- I like quiet and less bright lights. I do 3 gym days on my days with cardio and weight training.

The trainer session will help you feel more confident try it out!

I was so glad my gym had a "movie" workout room. It was completely dark. I relied on that room for a while, I'll admit. Now I just hit a point in my life where I just don't care what people think. Hope you can get there because its so liberating!

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

Except for times I've been on stage or a participant in some sort of public do, I've never been all that important to strangers who were in a place because they were all that important to themselves. Even under the circumstances, I in no way think I was all that important to them.

@@gustavio -- It may be that someone was watching you. People who watch break down this way in no particular order:

1. Those who recognize a beginner and admire the beginner's choice to take on new challenges and make positive changes.

2. Those who may wish to compliment the beginner, but hesitate because they think it may be too personal.

3. Those who you remind of their beginning and how good they felt about it.

4. Those who are turning their faces in your direction because the motion is part of the exercise they're doing at the moment.

5. Those who are thinking "Look at that out-of-shape, obese, useless creature." Those one or two are self-loathing and, more to the point, don't deserve notice. They're on their own, deservedly so.

6. Those who will eventually approach you to wish you the best and maybe even offer some tips on good form.

7. Those who've had WLS and are further ahead. They are among those who cheer for you. a few may even wonder if you've had surgery, but that's merely an occupational hazard of sorts.

There are others, but why don't we all simply tell ourselves that we have a right to be in the gym? That it's good to be in the gym? Better yet, why don't we take our asses to the gym to do gym things and leave it at that?

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@gustavio When I'm feeling self-conscious on the treadmill, I try to remember how much better my butt looks now than it did in early June...and that they're lucky to be seeing my new, smaller butt :) And ps, why do gyms set up the treadmills that way??

@@gustavio,

Congratulations – for a few things! Congrats for maintaining your exercise program. Congrats for not letting the weather interfere, and for getting to the gym instead. Congrats for finishing your workout even though you didn’t feel comfortable. Congrats for even considering talking to some people to make some “gym buddies.” All of that is wonderful!

As for people staring at you…they probably weren’t. Everyone who goes to the gym is there for themselves. They’re pretty engrossed in their own workouts.

If they were staring at you, they were probably doing so with admiration, and here’s why. Getting to the gym is hard for everyone. Fit people know that better than anyone else, and they are more likely to respect anyone who gets to the gym – whether or not they look fit.

Plus, the gym people know that it’s extra hard for you. Just like them, you had to get up early, get to the gym, and do your workout. And on top of that, you had to feel self-conscious about it. They know that, and most of them respect it (and the few who don’t aren’t worth bothering about).

So, keep using the gym whenever you want, and talk to everyone whether they look approachable or not. They’ll let you know quickly enough if they are open to chatting or not. And keep up the great work!

@@gustavio When I'm feeling self-conscious on the treadmill, I try to remember how much better my butt looks now than it did in early June...and that they're lucky to be seeing my new, smaller butt :) And ps, why do gyms set up the treadmills that way??

Exactly! Why?! Lol

It does feel like gyms are for skinny people who don't need to loose weight and work out.

@@gustavio

these OP probably/might have started the gym at a much heavier weight

how do you think they got skinny?!!

they probably were also self-conscious

they kept going back to the gym, and got healthier while they were loosing lbs

they might have had the same thoughts you did

keep going back to gym

treadmill, other machines

good idea asking trainer to explain the machines to you

still kindof scared

Get Over It :lol:

i bet you can do this!! (i put $20.00 down on your success)!!

good luck bud

kathy

i too don't like going to the gm but i go. It does feel like gyms are for skinny people who dont need to loose weight and work out. But hey I need to do this so screw them and i put in my headphones and away i go. Sometimes i even will close my eyes and just push thru. Its hard but you gotta just know that this is the best for you. Good luck and keep going.

Have you considered they are skinny because they work out?? Gyms are for people who want to exercise and workout - regardless of their BMI. Many thin people work very hard to maintain their weight. Some of them may be former fatties. Maybe they're feeling judged by you.

So I understand the feeling. I was given advice from my nut who said, the people in the gym you are worried about are concerned about one person themselves. They are so consumed in themselves they have no time to look at or judge you. So I figured if I want to look like them, I need to just focus on myself. It's half the reason we are in this situation, always worried or taking care of everyone else. Don't let anyone stop you from becoming the you, you want to be!!!

If your gym is anything like my gym, I could be standing in the middle of the room naked doing a dance and they still wouldn't notice. Why? Because people are so into themselves that most of them are either looking at themselves in the mirror or are busy taking selfies for their latest IG post.

I understand how you feel, but majority of people are just there doing their thing and if they notice you they're probably thinking good for her. There are people who will judge you but we can't avoid those people in life, and it's their issue not yours.