Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh my so many of you to tag lol @ I have not met with anyone just yet. I literally just started this whole thing. My very first appointment is September 9th. I am really hopeful that I can keep my coffee. I just don't know for sure if I can give it up.

It's a scary process. The two surgeries I have in my life was both C-sections. And I managed to screw up the after care on the SECOND ONE! This is a much more risky elective surgery and I just don't want to screw it up. I'm thankful to have found this site with everyone willing to share his/her experience I know every situation is different. Maybe some of you started off the process smaller than others? Maybe some had different health issues ? I guess I'm over thinking it before even meeting the surgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Jane1979

Totally understand your concerns. I had quite a few surgeries in the past, but WLS was the only one I was scared off. I was over the moon that I was approved, but I worried lots about recovery and the unknown ....

My surgeon has a whole team to look after a patient. I had to jump through many hoops to be approved. Had to have sessions with a NUT, bariatric psychologist, had to be checked out by an Endo, and my heart had to be tested.

I was given lot of information for both pre op and post op. I was given 2 folders, one with dietary instructions and the other one with surgery explanations, dos and don'ts, recovery process, etc

After I woke up from the surgery, it was all OK, and my fear was gone!

I hope you find a great surgeon that has supportive medical team.

I hope you can have your coffee.

Best of luck, and let us know how you go in September

I was allowed coffee after a couple of weeks. coffee is what allows me to use my grown up manners. :D I drink mine with stevia and a mixture of fairlife milk and half and half.

FYI I had a c section. it was 1000 times more difficult than my sleeve surgery. but I didn't get an adorable baby with this surgery ;)

1-2 cups is awesome! So just curious... I'm not a Breakfast person at all. Breakfast for me is like 3 pm. If I was to have coffee with stevia or Splenda, and skip the "breakfast" part would that be okay? Or no way? And I mean during the pre op and post op.

Even if it is Decaf

With WLS, it will be important to eat 3-5 small meals a day (Protein focused). Because Protein is so important in weight loss and healing - and you can only eat so much at once - you really shouldn't skip a meal. That can also mess with your metabolism. That doesn't mean you can't have coffee and protein for breakfast (even if you have a shake instead of food). The thing about coffee is that it can be acidic and cause ulcers (so you need to be cautious after WLS.) Caffeine can interfere with the absorption of some Vitamins and Calcium. With that said - many plans still allow it (after the dehydration risk period).

Keep in mind, your weight is at a dangerous level - and without surgery you could have serious health consequences that could force you to give up caffeine (and more) anyway. Please don't let the chance of not having coffee again derail your plans for surgery. I put off surgery because I was afraid to give up certain things - and unfortunately - got close to 300 lbs and have had nothing but health problems - one after the other - this year. I realized I can give up anything if it means saving my life (even my beloved Bloody Mary's :P ).

Good luck on your journey!!!

I'm 2 years out and have had coffee from 6 weeks post op on. Two cups a day with the occasional iced coffee treat I drink with a straw.

The horror!

@@Jane1979 if you do that you may want to use something like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury vanilla in place of your Creamer, and perhaps add some Fiber, turning it into basically a Protein shake. you would not want it to be over 140 degrees, but that is still pretty hot.

@@Jane1979

I had Decaf coffee on my tray in the hospital before I left.

I have coffee every day, 2-3 cups. I use cold brew coffee to keep the acid low, or espresso. As long as you aren't loading it with calories, you can have coffee. Most of the successful people that post here drink coffee.

BTW I used to love ginger ale. I gave up soda a couple years before surgery. I started by giving up normal diet sodas and only drinking Stevia sweetened sodas, they are at nicer grocery stores and health food stores, then I slowly moved off those.

I went on Decaf first, but by 6 weeks post op I was back to a normal consumption. I am nearly 5 years post sleeve and drink coffee daily.

Just had a few sips of Toby's estate this morning - my first since surgery. Almost 6 weeks out, but was allowed at 2. It just felt nice to me to be off coffee for a bit. I'm sure by the time winter comes I'll be back to at least 2 cups daily. But above all I prefer espresso.

Decaf coffee and tea are on my recommended food list for pre and post surgery. Good luck with your decision.

So for the past 2 days now I have been reading everyone's experiences and I applaud each and every one of you for having such discipline and to those struggling, my prayers are with each and every one of you.

I have been overweight my entire life. The past 10 years I have gained and gained so much that I am now just over 350 lbs this is the heaviest I have ever been. I have developed sever arthritis in my left knee and can start to feel my right knee going. Thankfully, I do not have high sugar or blood pressure no issues with cholesterol or anything like that. I do get winded VERY EASILY, stairs are my enemy. Walking in general is painful. Since age 5, I have suffered from Migraines and take a medication (when they strike) that contains caffeine.

I started following a few people on Instagram who had WLS and was amazed at the transformations. Over the past 10 years I have done my fair share of diets losing a few pounds only for it to come right back and then some. I was a member of a gym, I would go a few times a week. But then the arthritis kicked in hard core to where I fall down a lot. Dr after dr mentioned WLS. after finding out recently that my insurance covers it I got the support of my family and currently am set to meet the good Dr on September 9.

I joined this site a couple days ago to see the experiences, ask some questions and everyone has been very helpful! Thank you all!

I understand this surgery is not magic. It requires dedication, hard work and sacrifice.

I adore carbs, bread and Pasta is life!

Coke, ginger ale and soda in general I can not eat without. chocolate... Dear sweet love of my life chocolate. candy not so much cake.

I am willing to part with you all. I know I will miss you and maybe, just maybe we can have a stolen moment together in the future.

The deal breaker for me with this WLS is coffee. I could give a crap about tea and booze. But my beloved coffee I caN not do without. Wait, let me rephrase that. Without coffee , heads will roll. I am willing to give up smoking (cigarettes) I don't do drugs don't care about booze. And willing to leave behind my chocolate and carbs. I hate to say it but coffee may be the thing to stop me from doing this. Thanks for reading.

Trust me when I say that coffee is life. I probably have coffee streaming thru my veins as we speak. LOL Starbucks Rewards Member, yes, yes, yes! For several years running. At my desk at work I have a Keurig and a french press. That's just at work. At home I have a Large Keurig, a french press & a Bialetti Moka Pot. Do I love coffee? Yes. Am I addicted to it? Yes.

Now that being said, I also have hip pain, horrible horrible hip pain. Ankle and knee pain (my wonderful family gene which would likely require me to have knee surgery with in the next ten years as that is the age when my mothers & grandfathers knee surgery struggles started). Recently, my toes and feet have been hurting so bad, almost arthritis like, gout?, plantar fasciitis?, arthritis? (waiting to see the doc about this as it is very recent). I have monthly migraines that started 3 years ago, which last 2-5 days EVERY MONTH. My A1C is now 6.4%, I am Hispanic and although my parents don’t have diabetes, my uncles aunts and grandparents do. My father (140, 5'5", goes to the gym daily and eats high Protein low carb) has high blood pressure, high cholesterol and low sodium, so likely I will inherit some of that... Oh and I also have 5 kids, that I love with all my heart and soul. In October I'm becoming a grandmother for the first time.

So, I'm faced with this question, do I love coffee, coffee whom I've been in a relationship with for 30 years, 3 decades of my life, do I love coffee more than I love my life? More than my kids and more than my grand baby? No that is not an easy question to answer. I mean gun to my head, I would pick life, my kids, my grand baby...but after I have my last cup of course lol.

It's a hard decision to make but I have noticed that a lot of people still enjoy coffee post wls...and some lose their taste for it. Personally, I'd say go for WLS.

short, quick hi-jack

@@Babbs @@CowgirlJane

always nice to see you two :)

ok, back to topic "Deal Breaker" concerning coffee

no issues for me with coffee, never liked it LOL

kathy

I lived on coffee pre-surgery. Post-surgery I was allowed coffee in moderation for the first 6 months or so. Actually, I found I couldn't drink it the first few months - it hurt my tummy. I would have a few sips to satisfy my morning "itch" and that was it. I did, however, find that I LOVED the Chike Iced Coffee Protein mix!

These days I'll have several cups of coffee a day, but some days I still can only drink one. So, depending on your plan - I wouldn't worry about giving up coffee forever. Good luck!!

deal breaker for me with this WLS is coffee.

@@Jane1979

are you continuing to plan for surgery??

good luck

kathy

I never had to give up coffee.