Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone NOT have a miserable recovery?

I spent the first 2 days sick beyond description, which as it it turned out, was because my body doesn't really like IV narcotics. Once we laid off the good drugs, not only did nothing really hurt, but I stopped puking every 20 minutes. I was largely miserable for 1-2 weeks afterward because I was completely freaked out that I had destroyed my life. I had never had surgery before so I didn't feel great from the anesthesia. I had pins and needles in my fingers and toes, which also freaked me out but turns out it went away in a week or so. My recovery was miserable because emotionally I made it that way by being worried that I had made a huge mistake. Once I got past the point where I couldn't eat anything and had moved into the soft stage, everything was better from that point forward.

I am one month short of my 3-year surgiversary and I would go through that misery all over again in a second if I could see where I would be a few years in the future.

of all the surgeries I've had in the past (episiotomy, c section, tubal ligation, broken leg, hardware removed from leg, hysterectomy) this was the second easiest.

I had a pretty unremarkable surgery and recovery. sore throat for a couple of days, some fatigue. I did have a nerve block before surgery in my abdomen and I think that made a tremendous difference.

My swelling in my stomach went down quickly and so I never had much trouble with drinking enough or getting Protein. at almost 6 months if you were hanging around me you'd probably not know I've had surgery - because there's enough healthy choices on my plate that you might just think I am a lean eater.

My recovery was pretty easy. I was in the hospital less than 24 hours and I went back to work after 1 week. I took very little pain meds or nausea Med. I've not had any reflux or heartburn. No issues whatsoever. I'm down 69lbs since December 17,2015. Feel great. I've been off my blood pressure meds since the day I had surgery.

Everyone is different but I had a pretty easy recovery. I was not sick even once, (I am almost 11 months out and have never thrown up) I had some pain but that's normal when your cut open. I was back at work two weeks after surgery and have done great.

Thanks so much everyone! I know it won't be easy but it's nice to see that it is not always a total nightmare. I will be working with a therapist so hopefully that will help with the mental changes that need to happen post op. I'm glad to hear that no one regrets it!

I was not miserable at all. I live alone and was able to take care of myself. The two people I know that had hysterectomies had worse recoveries than me.

It helps if you have a high pain tolerance, which I do, but I was in very little pain. The worst pain was my shoulder ache from the gas they fill you chest cavity with.

"Are you wanting to hear that it will all be okay? Because it might be. But it might take months of recovery. It's major abdominal surgery. Even if everything is perfect."

No. I am just asking if everyone on here had some sort of complication.

"And if my BMI had been below 40 and I was only talking about 75lbs, no way would I consider having the majority of my stomach removed."

Well, my doctor (my GP, not the surgeon who will be performing it) has brought it up with me several times over the past few years. I have about 90 lbs to lose to get to my ideal weight. I guess you and I have different views!

"If you have anxiety, how will you manage this condition post op? Do you have a therapist who can help you with the mental health changes e.g. hormone dump, depression etc post op?"

I will be managing it with the same help I have used pre op

"Will your anxiety manifest in food aversion, food revulsion post op?"

I don't know, there doesn't seem to be any way to answer that question beforehand

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks so much everyone! I know it won't be easy but it's nice to see that it is not always a total nightmare. I will be working with a therapist so hopefully that will help with the mental changes that need to happen post op. I'm glad to hear that no one regrets it!

For clarity, I definitely regret it but not because of pain.

My recovery was fine. I only had real pain for about the first two weeks but it was very manageable, I stopped taking pain killers on week two. Never had issues with hitting my Water and Protein goals, only food I've had any issues with so far has been any kind of sugar alcohol sweetener.

Me! My recovery was quite easy. I think you hear more about the miserable ones because those of us with easy ones have no story to tell.

For clarity, I definitely regret it but not because of pain.

Can I ask why?

My surgery and recovery were as perfect as they could be. I had some intense pain immediately post-op, that was handled in minutes by a dose of IV dilaudid. I did not have a urinary catheter or a drain, I was up to the bathroom and walking within an hour of getting to the floor where I spent 2 nights.

I used my pain meds (PCA pump in the hospital with morphine) freely, because I know that when I get behind with pain management, it takes a lot to get me back under control. I also get very bad nausea very easily, so I pounded this concern home with my surgeons, nurses and anesthesiologist/CRNA prior to surgery to ensure that they were being proactive in dealing with it.

All in all, it was textbook from start to finish. I'm 6 weeks post-op now and I feel 'normal', just have to watch my food intake and push Water. Good luck to you!

My recovery went so well that I was confused because this board is overwhelmingly filled with stories of bad recoveries and complications. I had almost no pain, no gas pain, went back to work in a few days and did some long distance travel at 2 and a half weeks post-op. I was so confused because I was expecting agony it that I made a thread about it:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/372467-ok-i-have-to-askare-things-going-too-well-am-i-overdoing-it/

I had a brilliant recovery. Surgery took 25 minutes. A couple of days of nausea but that's it. No pain at all. Sailed through the food stages. I can tolerate everything. I eat anything I want. Even bread, rice, carbs etc BUT not every day and in very small amounts. I lost my sweet tooth which helps. I've never had surgery before so can't compare. I was tired for several weeks until my calorie intake increased. Suffered from Constipation but I've fixed that by having flaxseed daily on my cereals. I'd do it again tomorrow. I had it done on 26th February and I'm 80lb down. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

I'm only about 2 weeks out, but it's been great so far. The first night was uncomfortable and the gas pain was pretty bad, but I was up walking that night and able to get it moving which helped tremendously. I was so scared of pain post op, but was absolutely amazed at how good I felt the next day. I never took any narcotic pain meds, after the gas pain my belly feels a bit sore like I did a bunch of ab workout but that's gone now too. Haven't had much trouble getting in enough Fluid or Protein either.