Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone NOT have a miserable recovery?

Thanks so much everyone! I know it won't be easy but it's nice to see that it is not always a total nightmare. I will be working with a therapist so hopefully that will help with the mental changes that need to happen post op. I'm glad to hear that no one regrets it!

For clarity, I definitely regret it but not because of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Can I ask why?

Because I liked things the way they were before.

Me, I had a pretty uneventful recovery. Most dramatic thing was had to stop the blood thinner injections early due to some bleeding in stool. Nothing too painful, obviously some discomfort. Worst was finding a way to sleep comfortably in the first few days home. Was at hospital for only one night (from 6 am day 1 to 6pm day 2).

I needed the life change and I worry about management and completely absorbing the change and taking responsibility for my success, but I am happy so far!

I was fine. Didn't need to take any pain or gas medication. Had a little soreness around my incisions but not enough to take pain medications or sleep in whatever position I wanted. I felt like I was back to normal the next day. This surgery was better than my gallbladder surgery. Only issue I had was a gout attack which is unrelated I think. Been having a lot of gout attacks since surgery.

Mine was really easy. But I really worked hard getting ready for it. I researched all the worst case sceneros. I did a great deal of emotional work ahead of time. I worked out and walked as much as I could. I weaned off caffeine and alcohol weeks before and stuck to my pre-op diet. I also tried all the foods I was going to eat post op, sampled many Protein drinks, practiced eating slow at lunch, found out coffee warmers would keep my food warm when it took such a long time to eat. There was always the very small chance that something could go wrong, and being a single dad, I also took care of my estate planning and worked with my business partners to set up contingencies in case something went really wrong.

The end result, was I was on my feet and walking almost immediately after surgery and I was working on the internet the same day. Now I will admit, I was a fairly healthy fat guy, but there were enough warning lights going off to make me realize this wasn't always going to be the case.

Plan, Prepare, Act and Evaluate everything going in. I self paid in Mexico so I did all this research myself. and to tell you the truth, knowing me, I think I would have been bored to death doing this through a typical program. But I still had fears the last week despite all of this. But in the end, could not have worked out better.

OMG I am so jealous of some of the stories I read on here. I am 6 weeks post op and I have had 3 visits back to the hospital, the last time 5 days. I don't want to say that I regret the surgery but I am so TIRED OF BEING SICK!!! Both eating and drinking make me sick so because of that I avoid eating or drinking. Anything with a milky consistency is the worst (ie Protein shakes) so I am not getting all of the protein in. It takes me 8 hours to get down 16oz of Water and I cant get more than 3 to 4 teaspoons of food down before I feel like its on the way back up. I am severely fatigued so I am tired and listless all the time. What the heck is wrong with me? I did my due diligence, I researched, prepared, asked questions, but nothing in my research prepared me for how horrible I'd feel. How long will this last????

Hi folks!

This is my first post ever. I've been researching VGS on and off for about a year and I think I may be ready to bite the bullet. My insurance will not cover the procedure since my BMI is slightly below 40 and with what I have you need two co morbid conditions as well so I'll be self paying.

I have been a decade long yo-yo dieter. I gain and lose the same 35 to 75 lbs every year. I lose fast, then I regain even faster. I have fairly severe anxiety and the extra weight makes it so much worse. After much research I feel like this is a tool that could finally move me forward.

Now that I'm getting more serious about it I've been going from general information to reading people's actual experiences. It seems like every single story I read and every video I see is someone relaying an AWFUL and miserable recovery that lasted months on end. Is this just how it is? I don't know if I'm uninformed or if people are more likely to share a more extreme story.

I had a DCR 3 years ago and a full laparoscopic hysterectomy about 2 years ago and I understand that this will be my biggest surgery ever.

It's kind of scaring me though! I'm not expecting a pleasant time and I can handle post surgical pain but some of these stories make it sound like a year long horror show. Just looking for input. Thanks!

I haven't had the opportunity to read the other replies here.....running out of casual time this afternoon, lol.

I can simply answer your question with my own experiences with my VSG.

It was a walk in the park. Easy. Simple. Straightforward on the recovery. Almost everyone on my bariatric center's private FB page has posted the same results.

I didn't see the negative reports until joining here and also on youtube.

I think that there are an overwhelming majority of folks who have their wls and rock it. They move on in life and don't look back. You'll not hear much from this crowd.

Same thing I see at work. There are the quiet performers who nail down their responsibilities and do their job at high levels.......then there are the noisy and outspoken under achievers who voice complaint after complaint.

Just my opinion, experience and observation. Take it for what it's worth.

I'll say that without a doubt having my VSG was one of the best decisions of my life.

I was operated on 12/28/16 and released the next day. I felt pretty good but a bit weak; managed to go shopping for some broth and meds and went back to the hotel feeling fine but tired.

We had scheduled 5 days in Dallas before we needed to return home (7 hour drive away) but I felt good enough to check out of the hotel and drive home the next day- with the Dr.'s advice to take a 10 minute walk every hour of the drive. Made it back with no problem and went to work the next day. I still have not had any issues with nausea, adverse reactions to eating, etc- other than from drinking too much Water one time before eating and needing to puke it out.

Not trying to brag, but to show you that there is not always a bad recovery.

Hi folks!

This is my first post ever. I've been researching VGS on and off for about a year and I think I may be ready to bite the bullet. My insurance will not cover the procedure since my BMI is slightly below 40 and with what I have you need two co morbid conditions as well so I'll be self paying.

I have been a decade long yo-yo dieter. I gain and lose the same 35 to 75 lbs every year. I lose fast, then I regain even faster. I have fairly severe anxiety and the extra weight makes it so much worse. After much research I feel like this is a tool that could finally move me forward.

Now that I'm getting more serious about it I've been going from general information to reading people's actual experiences. It seems like every single story I read and every video I see is someone relaying an AWFUL and miserable recovery that lasted months on end. Is this just how it is? I don't know if I'm uninformed or if people are more likely to share a more extreme story.

I had a DCR 3 years ago and a full laparoscopic hysterectomy about 2 years ago and I understand that this will be my biggest surgery ever.

It's kind of scaring me though! I'm not expecting a pleasant time and I can handle post surgical pain but some of these stories make it sound like a year long horror show. Just looking for input. Thanks!

I think you will find that it works both ways. Some folk just suffer in silence for fear of getting flamed.

As for me, I am one of the "noisy, outspoken" ones. Not an underachiever though!

Thanks so much everyone!

No miserable experience here. One night in hospital, off pain meds day 2, no gas pain, no nausea. I followed my plan and all is well at 6.5 weeks out. I live alone and had no problems taking care of myself. I did have help lined up just in case. I feel very blessed.

No complications at all--not one; and I was also done as an out-patient.

No complications or problems for me. I had some pain in my left shoulder the first couple weeks until I figured out that it would go away if I sat differently and was tired / weak the first few weeks but that was all. Did not take any pain meds after I left the hospital. Periodically I get some nausea and discomfort with certain foods or if I eat too fast. I will say that I think it is very important to have a good surgeon. Ask your surgeon about the risk and how many vsgs that perform each year or have performed. I went to a center of excellence for Bariatric surgery and am glad I did.

I had the gastric bypass. Honestly when I woke up I was mostly uncomfortable more than in serious pain. The gas pains had to be the worse. And sitting up in the chair was uncomfortable for me. Luckily I found comfort on my side fetal position like, that first day. I think I only had three pain pills in my 2 day stay. I was really terrified I wasnt going to be able to get out of bed or off the toilet. Lol. But everything was fine. It hurts a lil when my tummy jiggles, but other than that I kept wondering if I even have a complete bypass so little have my post op issues been.

It's never too late, until its too late

I would add that I came out in recovery in horrible pain and they inserted some pain med that I had on top of other pain meds for first day and wore it home (it was pump) for remaining 4 days. Maybe it is why I only took one dose of rx pain med. I felt way better once in room compared to when I first woke up.

I think it makes sense to "hear" about complications because it is not expected, they can be very different, specific to individual, and people experiencing something less than ideal are going to look for answers, support, and to compare notes if nothing else. It is a good reason to discuss and it can potentially help or help you ask questions of your doc.

I always try to think about worst hope for best and be comforted by something in between. With ones health you do want better odds, and you can search site the odds are pretty stacked in your favor for less complications. Maybe a good topic for research on your doc or practice?

i do appreciate the people that have responded on this question...@julia37

Keep in mind her question at the top of the thread is....

Did anyone NOT have a miserable recovery?

I do have sympathy for anyone who had/has complications...

My intention is not to offend anyone with complications with this statement .A terminal cancer patient with a week to live would gladly trade places with anyone of us. There are health issues that can be manage. We get to live a much longer life.