Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did i really need the surgery?

Wow your weight is almost my goal weight. My goal is 180.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

this is one of the big reasons I stopped using the forums on my fitness pal. To many people who were already skinny going on and on about how fat they are and how they need to loose weight when they were already well below my goal weight. I saw so many people posting their "before" pictures that showed slim people with flat tummies talking about how they needed to loose so much weight, it really made me feel bad

I gained 10# due to all the IV fluids. I then went on to lose 150# from my starting weight.

You are losing fine and will get to your goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

Wow your weight is almost my goal weight. My goal is 180.

this is one of the big reasons I stopped using the forums on my fitness pal. To many people who were already skinny going on and on about how fat they are and how they need to loose weight when they were already well below my goal weight. I saw so many people posting their "before" pictures that showed slim people with flat tummies talking about how they needed to loose so much weight, it really made me feel bad
What you said is the reason I don't want to tell some people at work about getting WLS. Like when they are 130lbs 5'6" and are trying to talk to me about how fat they are....it's really kind of effed up if I let it get to me. Like are they trying to tell me I disgust them? Lol. I don't let it get to me bc I could care less, but I could see a more sensitive person getting offended.

IMO, she was obese when she got the surgery, her medical team thought it was necessary and that she was a good candidate for surgery -- who am I to second guess? I just don't think there's much point for her in asking for input on this decision now since the surgery is already over. OP, I wish you smooth sailing ahead!

Hello guys,

I'm 22 years old my weight was 185 and my height is 5'5. Im 5 days post-op and have only lost 5.5lb and i feel hungry all the time.

The doctor has only removed 65% of my stomach.

So what do you guys think? Is it normal that i'm not losing as i was expecting. Plus has anyone done the surgery with the same weight and height as i am.

I have 52lb to lose to reach my goal.

First congrats on losing. Yes, 5.5 lbs may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things but you're just starting out on this journey.

You will find everyone has different goals, starting weight and issues. Do not compare yourself to them. Your situation is unique to you. Some have the buyers remorse (the "what the crap did I do moment") and that is perfectly normal.

I would stay off the scale of every ounce or pound lost/gained will cause anxiety. Some only weigh themselves when they go for check ups. That may be something you should practice.

The feeling hungry all the time could be Acid in your stomach. Ask your surgeon about getting an rx for Pepcid, Zantac or something along those lines. Stomach acid will mimic hunger for a couple months. True hunger is very rare post surgery this early out.

Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride

A couple of things, ignore the trolls. Come now people you can disagree with out the mean tones and pushieness. We all probable at one point thought do or did I really need this surgery. This is a personal question we ask our self and can only answer for ourselves. No need to berate someone into feel bad for being curious out loud. I know this question is easy for some but for others it's a true struggle. Maybe she needs to clarify her question better. I don't know, I feel she is going through a grieving process, I mean this is a big change and it's like losing the old you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

What is normal is to have a bit of buyers remorse right after surgery. You are uncomfortable, still healing, probably dehydrated, and experiencing major adjustments.

I highly recommend that you stay off the scale, focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids, rest and give yourself time to heal, and be gentle with yourself.

You just had major surgery. Whether or not you think you needed the surgery, you had it so making up your mind to make the most of your tool is really the only way forward (in my opinion).

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

By the way, are you taking a PPI? Stomach acid can mimic hunger.

Are you getting enough fluids? The feeling of hunger can really be dehydration/thirst.

Are you getting in all of your Protein? If not, you may really be hungry.

I wouldn't categorize having surgery at a lower BMI and a young age as a "need", but I do see the benefit in it. I also had a lower BMI, but chose to have the VSG not just to help me reach a healthier weight now, but as a preventative measure so that I never become morbidly obese or develop other substantial health problems. My dad developed Type 2 Diabetes even though he was an athlete for decades and has never had a BMI over 35. My weight yoyo'd for years; I always able to lose weight, but always gained it right back. Being heavier corroded a lot of my self-confidence and prevented me from racing out and seizing all that life has to offer. Having the VSG in your early 20s will hopefully lead to getting more out of your youth.

I would have been elated with a 5.5 pound weight loss in a week. That's never happened for me. I encourage the OP to focus more on sustainability of weight loss. I completely understand wanting to lose weight rapidly, but the main goal should be to develop healthier lifestyle habits so that the weight loss can be maintained.

Hello guys,

I'm 22 years old my weight was 185 and my height is 5'5. Im 5 days post-op and have only lost 5.5lb

So what do you guys think? Is it normal that i'm not losing as i was expecting. Plus has anyone done the surgery with the same weight and height as i am.

Hello to you, too, Jaysmm. I can tell all the way from here that you're a "she," not a "they." I shall not venture a direct response to the title of your topic, as I have no idea and, more to the point, I believe you intended the question for yourself.

Please banish "only" from your weight-loss vocabulary. Weight lost is weight lost: That is the goal. In fact, you're off to a good start. I don't know what you were expecting or why, but for your own comfort level, it's important to have realistic expectations which is another somewhat vague thing. We all lose at different rates and patterns and it's common for people of lower weight to lose more slowly. In the case of similarities, someone else of your height and starting weight will also lose at a rate and pattern different from yours.

You're in good shape. There's no turning back. This is a good time to regroup, reorder your thinking and claim your power. If your surgery practice has a support group, you might find it helpful to talk with others in the in-person setting. You can also benefit by sharing experiences here.

May I ask why you had surgery? [You're under no obligation to answer.]

Hello guys,

I'm 22 years old my weight was 185 and my height is 5'5. Im 5 days post-op and have only lost 5.5lb

Hello to you, too, Jaysmm. I can tell all the way from here that you're a "she," not a "they." I shall not venture a direct response to the title of your topic, as I have no idea and, more to the point, I believe you intended the question for yourself.

Please banish "only" from your weight-loss vocabulary. Weight lost is weight lost: That is the goal. In fact, you're off to a good start. I don't know what you were expecting or why, but for your own comfort level, it's important to have realistic expectations which is another somewhat vague thing. We all lose at different rates and patterns and it's common for people of lower weight to lose more slowly. In the case of similarities, someone else of your height and starting weight will also lose at a rate and pattern different from yours.

You're in good shape. There's no turning back. This is a good time to regroup, reorder your thinking and claim your power. If your surgery practice has a support group, you might find it helpful to talk with others in the in-person setting. You can also benefit by sharing experiences here.

May I ask why you had surgery? [You're under no obligation to answer.]

Hello, you're right i should not overthink or worry about my weight loss as long as i am actually losing weight. And as of why i had the surgery, it was because i a short period of time i gained 40lb without changing anything in my lifestyle. I'm diagnosed with pcos as well so the doctor suggested that i would get the surgery done before it gets worse as i am prone to weight gain and that the chances of me having diabetes are high.

Hello guys,

I'm 22 years old my weight was 185 and my height is 5'5. Im 5 days post-op and have only lost 5.5lb and i feel hungry all the time.

The doctor has only removed 65% of my stomach.

I have 52lb to lose to reach my goal.

Hi, just wanted to say, my stats are similar except I'm 55...But I was like this when I was in my 20s...today I am pre diabetic, have had high BP for years, can't sleep for more than hour or two at a stretch, joints ache, and I have severe dibilatating Migraines. My surgery date is coming up and I'm really hopeful...if all goes well, and I expect it to(I'm a glass half full kinda gal) I know I will wish I had done it in my 20s and avoided all the pain and self loathing of losing only to gain back what I'd lost and more....I think when you doubt, start listing all the positive outcomes of your surgery....remember why you needed it in the first place.

In my 20s I thought I could control everything....I now know better...my body fights me to stay at a high weight...my good intentions, planning, self pep talks, did not keep the weight off. I'm great at losing...But horrible at keeping it off. Good luck in your journey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

My understanding from everything I've read is lower starting BMI's lose at a slower pace. I am at 35 myself, and am fully prepared for this to be a longer haul than some others.

Sent from my SM-T550 using the BariatricPal App

@@jaysmm,

Congratulations on your surgery! I always say…does it matter whether you needed the surgery? It’s done now. The only choice you have is to do your best with it.

Don’t worry about the scale in the first days after surgery. There’s no “expected” amount of weight to lose in the early days. Your body went through stress, and is still going through stress as it tries to recover post-op. Your Water balance is off. Your metabolism is off. Your stress is through the roof. Your weight loss could be anywhere, and 5.5 lbs. is nothing to worry about.

Lots of patients feel starving constantly post-op, especially in the early days. You’re not eating anything! You’re just drinking liquids and maybe getting in some Protein.

As time passes, remember that you’ll not lose weight as fast as someone who has a heavier starting weight. Don’t compare yourself to others. Only think about whether you are following your post-op diet. If you are, you will lose weight and hit goal weight.

To help your body recover and regain its balance after surgery, be sure to get in your fluids and Protein. You’ll feel better sooner, and your body will be in a better position to lose weight if you take care of it.

Good luck, and no second guessing. There’s no point!