Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

Hey Charlene and Everyone, Hope everyone is doing great. Jack you and I seem to be in the same boat, except I only like 8 pounds being at goal but I am almost ashamed to say that I have liked those same 8-10 pounds for way to long. I guess I need a good butt kicking. Can't seem to get the good ole motivation going and am staying to comfortable where I am. Charlene it was about 37 years ago that I was in a size ten. lol. I even got down to a seven. I am afraid if I go that far down now I will look like an old prune. A little bit of humor from my isx year old grandaughter this summer while visiting me. I was about to take a shower and she said are'nt you gonna take your panties off. I said of course and she said oh Nana you have wrinkles in your butt. The best to you all.

Sallyjo:)

I am due to go on mushies on Sept. 16. My surgery was Aug 27 and I have been on liquids since August 13. We are having week end guest and I would love to join everyone for Breakfast. Do you think I could go on mushies 1 day early and enjoy scrambled eggs????

I have managed to loose about 2-3 pounds every other day. I have been stuck on the same number for the past 2 days. I have also been

so very hungry for the past 2 days. I could chew my leg off!!! However, I have not cheated; not once.

so, what's the verdict???? Mushies one day early.:hungry:

I am due to go on mushies on Sept. 16. My surgery was Aug 27 and I have been on liquids since August 13. We are having week end guest and I would love to join everyone for Breakfast. Do you think I could go on mushies 1 day early and enjoy scrambled eggs????

I have managed to loose about 2-3 pounds every other day. I have been stuck on the same number for the past 2 days. I have also been

so very hungry for the past 2 days. I could chew my leg off!!! However, I have not cheated; not once.

so, what's the verdict???? Mushies one day early.:hungry:

My Vote - Yes move to mushies - and you are great for not cheating - I ate a few puffed cheetos while i was suppose to be on full liquid and my doc said 2 weeks liquid but then when I went to my 1st post op visit he said i could go to mushies - so that was about 10 days not 14 and those 4 days are a big deal ;) when you are hungry :)

I don't think it would hurt to eat some scrambled eggs. Can you do liquids the rest of the day? Everyone's doctor has a different post op diet. Some people

have to be on liquids for 4 weeks. Dr. Ortiz in Mexico doesn't do that . He advances people a lot faster than my dr. did.

Just make sure you chew and chew until it's liquid in your mouth.

:hungry:

I am due to go on mushies on Sept. 16. My surgery was Aug 27 and I have been on liquids since August 13. We are having week end guest and I would love to join everyone for breakfast. Do you think I could go on mushies 1 day early and enjoy scrambled eggs????

so, what's the verdict???? Mushies one day early.

I vote YES, too!! :hungry:

How is everyone doing? Are you losing regularly each week? I don't. It gets me frustrated when the scale doesn't go anywhere. I need to keep up with

my exercise in the pool. I am sure regular exercise makes a difference.

Okay, where are all the bandsters in their 60's posting these days?

I like this thread to see how everyone else in my age group is doing.

It seems like this thread isn't moving.

Claramae, how are you doing since you moved into mushies?

Hi,

Don't know where everyone is lately. I am doing okay. We were staying in our RV for 5 days and eating out too many times so I haven't lost any weight this past week. I'm down a little over 36 lb. Tomorrow night we are flying back east to visit family for a week, so I'm concerned about that, too. Won't be eating normally and will have to exercise a lot of self discipline!

I have that problem too. Since I live alone, I don't like to cook for myself. Friends call to go out to eat, and since that's my main way to socialize, I always love to go. I try to order the lowest calorie thing I can find on the menu.

I don't always lose regularly. Sometimes I will go over a month and not lose, then all of a sudden, I will drop about 3 lbs. It was coming off much faster when I first got the band. As long as it's moving down and not up, I am happy.

Hello Everyone. It is encouraging reading messages from we "oldies". I am 68 and will be banded on October 15. I'm sure I will have lots of questions as time goes by. In the meantime, please continue writing because I enjoy reading about your challenges and triumphs. I enjoyed Jack's comment that we don't feel 60 very long after banding....that's my goal!!! Marilyn

I am doing real good on the mushies. I have discovered Egg Beaters. They are really pretty good. I usually eat some form of fish everyday. I am not a big fish fan, unless it is fried catfish. But I found that fish goes down real easy. Next week I go on solids. I am a little afraid. Has anyone gone on solids after just one week of mushies. Don't get me wrong, I am happy. A little scared. Has anyone else gone on solids after just 1 week of mushies?

I am doing real good on the mushies. I have discovered Egg Beaters. They are really pretty good. I usually eat some form of fish everyday. I am not a big fish fan, unless it is fried catfish. But I found that fish goes down real easy. Next week I go on solids. I am a little afraid. Has anyone gone on solids after just one week of mushies. Don't get me wrong, I am happy. A little scared. Has anyone else gone on solids after just 1 week of mushies?

Claramae

I make eggbeater omeletts on the weekend - southwestern kind with a little cheese & shaved ham (lunch meat)

I am a BIG catfish lover - well mostl fish really - but like you i like it fried - I have taken talipa - or sole and dipped in eatbeater then in corn meal (seasoned of course) and then sprayed w/pam and baked in the oven - you can do it w/catfish too - i baked my catfish (i eat this about 4-5 times a week) with El Pato sauce (yellow can w/a duckon it - it's mex Tomato sauce a little on the spicy side) it was great..

I was instructed to go from mushies to soft - which to me is about the same - cuz i cook my veggies to death anyway and chicken & beef depending how you cook them are soft - small bites chew well. I really don't remember what was considered hard -

I don't remember how long I had to be on mushies. I think it was 2 weeks though.

You shouldn't have any problems Claramae, since you don't have a fill yet. Just remember to chew you food very well. I think they don't recommend trying beef first. I eat a lot of ground turkey. It's less calories. I make meat loaf out of it, or use it just like I would for ground beef.

I am happy to report that I got a fill. I have to be on liquids for 24 hours after a fill. I haven't really felt like eating since this fill, and the scale has been showing this. I finally dropped 5 lbs. I am very excited.

Also, I wanted to say Welcome to Marilyn! In spite of the fact that I haven't lost as fast as some of the younger people, I love my band. My thoughts are no longer consumed by what I will get to eat next.

Hi mduvall:

I am 67 and am checking about lap band surgery. Medicare is my primary insurance and requires 1 yr. of dr. supervised diet. Do you have any experience with medicare? thanks

Hi, Maggie...I elected not to go the Medicare route because at the Center of Excellence I visited, I was told that it would probably be two years before I would be banded. They take pre-pays first, then insurance and then Medicare. So, I decided to have a local surgeon do the procedure. I didn't want to wait until I was 70 to have this done (and maybe they wouldn't even do it at age 70, I don't know). Let me know your decision. I'm wondering if other hospitals can get you through faster than where I visited. Good luck!!!