Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

Dear Foxy Grandma....I'm so happy to hear you say that you are no longer consumed with thoughts of what you will eat next. Hunger (either head or stomach...who knows anymore) has been such a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It will be good to not have that. I will be banded Oct. 15. Am a little nervous. It's bad enough to have surgery that one needs, but to have elective surgery somehow just doesn't make a lot of sense...but I'm forging ahead!! Marilyn

Hi Marilyn! I am so glad you are not going to wait around for medicare. If you have the money, go for it!

Just remember that the band can be kind of frustrating. The fills make all the difference in the world. They are the difference of

being nauseous at the site of food, or still craving your favorites.

Unfortunately, fills don't last. As you lose weight, you lose fat around your stomach, and the band gets looser. As soon as you notice that your hunger has returned, get another fill. But you must remember to chew until you think you can't chew anymore once you have a good fill, or food will get stuck. It's a learning

experience, but you don't have to learn it all at once.

I am glad you are on lap band talk. I have learned so much here.

The doctor can't be with you every day, but any problem that comes up, you can come here. The things you will learn here are more valuable than anything I have learned anywhere else.

You can always send someone a private message too. If you click on someone's name to the left, a box will come up that says send a private message. Everyone that I have ever messaged has been more than willing to help me.

Phyll,

Did medicare require you to have 6 - 12 mos. of monthly dr. supervised diet/weigh-ins? My understanding was that that is a requirement. If they do not stick to that, I may be able to be banded much sooner that I figured.

Thanks for any info about the process with medicare.

maggie

Hi mduvall:

I am 67 and am checking about lap band surgery. Medicare is my primary insurance and requires 1 yr. of dr. supervised diet. Do you have any experience with medicare? thanks

Whoa! I'm on Medicare, too. They didn't tell me anything like that. No supervised diet, no psych, no nothing!

Well the scale is finally showing a difference since I had my 4th fill.

I am not able to eat nearly the portion sizes I was able to eat with

3 fills. It's amazing what just a tiny bit more of saline will do. Sometimes I think I might be too tight, and that kind of scares me.

I have read on here how much trouble people have from being too tight. I can eat tiny portions, and drink my Protein drinks and Water, so I guess I must be okay.

Hello Foxy Grandma and you over "60" friends. I am a little "scared" of the liquid part after banding. I have always been so hungry. Even getting ready for a colonoscopy and being on a liquid diet for ONE DAY was so hard. Any encouraging words. Do you just "tough it out" or do you actually get a little less hungry after awhile?

Hang in there. It's not that bad. I found that I was less hungry after a while. Just think of why you're doing it. It's worth the effort.

Hi mduvall, I was worried about the liquid part too until the dietitian explained that I would be on full liquids before I left the hospital. I knew I would starve on Clear Liquids but I'm pretty sure I can make it on creamy Soups and such.:)

For me, the first week wasn't bad. I guess the stomach is still swollen from surgery, so the band is tighter and I really wasn't hungry. The next week, any time I got hungry, I had whatever

was on my list. (mainly Soups and Protein drinks) I really didn't let myself get too hungry. They said this time was for healing and

not for losing, so I didn't worry too much about the scale, just

kept drinking any time I was hungry. The third week was the hardest. I wasn't really all that hungry, I was just sick of everything. I will admit I a couple days I had something on the

mushie list that third week. I read on here that some doctors

don't keep people on liquids as long as my dr. so I thought it

would be okay.

Once I moved to mushies, I was fine. I still

had Protein drinks and soups, but I ate cottage cheese and eggs etc, so I wasn't as bored with lack of variety.

Just found this post and I am in with you. I am 62 and was banded on July 23 - I had great weightloss the first 3 weeks and nothing much since. I am plugging along and trying to be good (the wine is killing me) but I go for my second fill on the 5th of Oct. Hope it helps me with Portion Control. As of now I have no restriction but as a plus I do walk daily, but am going on an 8 day car trip so wish me well- eating out isn't always the best thing for me.

hi i like that . i thought i was maybe to old . but after reading. im not ... im still work on my insurance. im 61 young .

judyann4

I'm 65 and just starting the journey. The clinic in my local area does not accept medicare patients, but I think I have found one 400 miles away that does. I'll know more next week. They say there is no waiting list for medicare patients. My brother lives in that town, so I could go stay with him right after surgery.

My biggest fear is arthritis and not being able to take my NSAID that keeps me pain free most of the day. What has been your experience with arthritis pain?

Sharon

My biggest fear is arthritis and not being able to take my NSAID that keeps me pain free most of the day. What has been your experience with arthritis pain?

Sharon

Hi Sharon.... I take aspirin for my arthritis and my Dr said that I needed to get off of the aspirin two weeks before surgery and that I could take one of the NSAID's like Advil or Aleve... I have always heard that the NSAID's if taken for long periods of time can enlarge your liver, but you probably know the answer to that better than I do, but for your peace of mind, I would ask my Dr about it...

Age is just a number so, Good luck to you on your journey to better health.... :clap2:

I take Celebrex. My doctor said I didn't need to stop taking it. In fact, he gave me a lot of samples and saved me a bunch of money.

He just said to be sure to take it with a lot of Water so it didn't sit in the pouch. I take it in the morning with a huge glass of Water, then I have Breakfast so that it's not on an empty stomach.