Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

thank you for directions!

what did you have to do to get your surgery date?

Carol

Had to do a pre-op diet as doctor wanted me to lose 10% of my body weight. Took me about 6 weeks to lose 20# and doctor agreed to give me a surgery date. I didn't have to do many of the preliminaries others have had to do... sleep study, psych eval, cardiac work up... none of that I already had a CPAP from previous sleep study, had a cardiac workup within a year and psych wasn't required, so just a dietary consult, which I was told Medicare wouldn't pay for. I've only had about $200 out of pocket expenses so far.

Good Morning Phyl,

Hmmm,

I would then have to lose 30#....

How did you lose your weight? Is this to help the liver?

Did you go to a bariatric clinic or a regular surgeon at a hospital approved to do lap bands?

I've heard good reports about these two surgeons, father and daughter team, but after my back surgery at another hospital in town I am a bit skeptical about all the doctors here. May only other option is to go about 70 miles and see a dr. that is advertised as a bariatrics dr....I think I will probably stay here...it's more convenient....

I have been trying the different drinks I read about for post op....not too bad. What was your favorites?

Carol

I have been going up and down lately. I can't seem to go down and keep the scale going down some more. I know I don't need anymore fill. It's getting frustrating.

One good thing though is I am down 55 lbs from when I started. I know I would be on my way up the scale without the band!

Just an FYI. I had surgery 8-8-07 at a Center of Excellence. Medicare would not pay the hospital bill because they said with lapband they only cover the hospital if it is an overnite stay. How much sense does that make? So far the hospital says they wrote off the whole $20,000+. So just beware. I havent heard from the surgeons office, hopefully Medicare did cover that, if not I am in a heap of hurt.

Good Morning Phyl,

Hmmm,

I would then have to lose 30#....

How did you lose your weight? Is this to help the liver?

Did you go to a bariatric clinic or a regular surgeon at a hospital approved to do lap bands?

I've heard good reports about these two surgeons, father and daughter team, but after my back surgery at another hospital in town I am a bit skeptical about all the doctors here. May only other option is to go about 70 miles and see a dr. that is advertised as a bariatrics dr....I think I will probably stay here...it's more convenient....

I have been trying the different drinks I read about for post op....not too bad. What was your favorites?

Carol

Hi, Carol,

I started my pre-op diet drinking SlimFast in the morning, usually a salad at lunch time and small meal at dinner.... meat, veggie. Then I found a Protein Powder at costco that I liked so I started using that instead... fewer calories, more Protein. I was eating between 500-800 calories a day. Yes, it was to shrink the liver. And my BMI was over 60 and my doctor frowns on doing surgery on patients with 60+ BMI.

I searched on the internet for bariatric surgeons certified as "Center of Excellence" affiliated. Then I started making phone calls to see who would take Medicare and how long the wait was.

Someone posted that Medicare had refused to pay their hospital bill because it wasn't an overnight stay. So far, I have only had to pay $202 and I think that was for the dietary consult. My surgery was 7/20, so I'm thinking that if anything was refused I would've received a statement or bill by now.

This is great! I love talking to the other over 60 people. I'm 63 and was banded August 20. I've lost about 30 lbs. and am feeling pretty good. I was just at my support group meeting this evening and we discussed the throwing up thing tonight. It seems that no matter how slow we eat and how small our bites are, there are going to be times when the food gets stuck and we are going to throw up. I just take it in stride and keep striving to take more time and be more careful. I seem to be able to eat anything as long as I take the slow and steady course.

I have changed the things I eat; i.e. no white bread, white flour, white rice, white potato. I concentrate on Protein first, then veggies, then fruit. I try to have a small portion of a good carb (like sweet potato, butternut squash, quinoa, spelt, oatmeal, etc.) once a day and try to get in my high protein supplements (high Protein Shakes or bars, as long as they are low in carbs and sugar). Food tastes so much better now.

I have been fighting the overweight/diet battles for over 40 years now and feel like I have finally found something that will actually work.

Hope to hear from people.

FYI: my support group has asked me to put together some of my receipes because I'm really good at coming up with tasty, healthy things to eat. So, if you'd like me to share when I get it all put together, just let me know.

Best to you all.

Jenifer

I would really like to see your recipes. I have a hard time coming up with things that are easy to fix. I live alone so I don't like to make things that take a lot of fussing.

my support group has asked me to put together some of my receipes because I'm really good at coming up with tasty, healthy things to eat. So, if you'd like me to share when I get it all put together, just let me know.

Jenifer

There is a thread for sharing recipes. That would be great. We had lunch at a friend's house today and she made this Lentil Soup that was really good. Do you have a recipe for that? She had hamburger in it, sliced mushrooms, carrots, peas, and probably beef broth. I really enjoyed it. I want to try to make some.

Hello Jennifer,

Hmmm, not a very appitizing subject at your meeting!...but a necessary one I'm sure.

I just joined and am bothering Phyl for answers...sorry Phyl....

I love recipes....bring 'em on.....either here or the recipe thread...just let me know were to find them.

Phyl,

I am researching the 'center of Excellence'....found them in southern WI.....I will try to find info on this dr. I'm intersted in.

I copied your reply and will 'try very hard' to follow your diet. When you say 'protein powder' are you saying whey or soy? Could you give me the name of the product? We don't have Costco's up here....we have WalMart....?

I have no desire to stay overnight in a hospital.....not since my 15 day stay after my back surgery.....I swore I'd never be in a hospital again....oh well, never say never!

Thank you for posting, Carol

Hello Jennifer,

Hmmm, not a very appitizing subject at your meeting!...but a necessary one I'm sure.

I just joined and am bothering Phyl for answers...sorry Phyl....

I love recipes....bring 'em on.....either here or the recipe thread...just let me know were to find them.

Phyl,

I am researching the 'center of Excellence'....found them in southern WI.....I will try to find info on this dr. I'm intersted in.

I copied your reply and will 'try very hard' to follow your diet. When you say 'protein powder' are you saying whey or soy? Could you give me the name of the product? We don't have Costco's up here....we have WalMart....?

I have no desire to stay overnight in a hospital.....not since my 15 day stay after my back surgery.....I swore I'd never be in a hospital again....oh well, never say never!

Thank you for posting, Carol

Hi, Carol,

I have some unflavored Whey powder that I've used from time to time, adding it to something else for the added Protein. But the Protein Drinks I use, the brand name is E.A.S. and I think it might be soy based. I like it best mixed with milk and its very tasty that way... really like a chocolate milkshake. Sometimes I add some sugar free Da Vinci syrup... raspberry. I ate a lot of salad on that pre-op diet, and lots of veggies. I ate very little meat during that time so I used the protein a lot.

Phyl,

Here's a place to find bariatric surgeons in your area:

Find Members of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery

amen,

i ate potatoes, bread, rice, Pasta, etc. for 60 years.

no more. and its easy so far to get along without 'em. :rolleyes:

have a good day. off to the gym.

God Bless You,

greg

This is great! I love talking to the other over 60 people. I'm 63 and was banded August 20. I've lost about 30 lbs. and am feeling pretty good. I was just at my support group meeting this evening and we discussed the throwing up thing tonight. It seems that no matter how slow we eat and how small our bites are, there are going to be times when the food gets stuck and we are going to throw up. I just take it in stride and keep striving to take more time and be more careful. I seem to be able to eat anything as long as I take the slow and steady course.

I have changed the things I eat; i.e. no white bread, white flour, white rice, white potato. I concentrate on Protein first, then veggies, then fruit. I try to have a small portion of a good carb (like sweet potato, butternut squash, quinoa, spelt, oatmeal, etc.) once a day and try to get in my high protein supplements (high Protein Shakes or bars, as long as they are low in carbs and sugar). Food tastes so much better now.

I have been fighting the overweight/diet battles for over 40 years now and feel like I have finally found something that will actually work.

Hope to hear from people.

FYI: my support group has asked me to put together some of my receipes because I'm really good at coming up with tasty, healthy things to eat. So, if you'd like me to share when I get it all put together, just let me know.

Best to you all.

Jenifer

Jenifer - I would love your receipes.... Need all the good ideas that we can get... Thanks,...

Jenifer - I would love your receipes.... Need all the good ideas that we can get... Thanks,...

Jennifer I to would love your recipes, I am 68 years old, I was banded 12-06. I had lost 50# now I had my band losened about 6 weeks ago because it was too tight. Now, due to stress , with my older children, and grandchildren and no will power. I have gained 10 lbs. Eating comfort food. I need new recipes and a lot of prayer to get over this hump. I get a fill in a couple of weeks, then maybe I can get over this hump.