Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

Phyl, that's the greatest news!

I am going back earlier too because I don't feel anything from

my 4th fill. They fit me in Friday. I am glad because I feel

like I don't have restriction and certainly not my sweet spot

after 4 fills. This is going to get expensive. I am afraid I have

a leak.

Phyl, that's the greatest news!

I am going back earlier too because I don't feel anything from

my 4th fill. They fit me in Friday. I am glad because I feel

like I don't have restriction and certainly not my sweet spot

after 4 fills. This is going to get expensive. I am afraid I have

a leak.

Speaking of expensive, it dawned on me the other day that I was never told how many fill or what period of time is included in my surgery "package". I'm Medicare, so I'm not expecting great things. But I've been thinking that if this is the best "service" I get from this clinic, I may switch to a local fill center when I get to where I'm paying out of pocket.

I'm just starting this journey and would like to know how many hoops does medicare make you jump thru to get approved? Or does it take prior approval?

I'm going to my first seminar this week, and will perhaps get some questions answered, but this forum is FANTASTIC for information. I will also be in Quartzsite and Yuma this winter right around the time of the RV show. Would be fun to meet those of you who are there.

Sharon in Northern Nevada

Sharon in Nevada

I'm just starting this journey and would like to know how many hoops does medicare make you jump thru to get approved? Or does it take prior approval?

I'm going to my first seminar this week, and will perhaps get some questions answered, but this forum is FANTASTIC for information. I will also be in Quartzsite and Yuma this winter right around the time of the RV show. Would be fun to meet those of you who are there.

Sharon in Nevada

Ah, you sparked my interest on two fronts! I was banded in July under Medicare and found the process to be so simple it was scarey! My doctor's office took care of any approval I needed. I didn't have to have a psych consult, produce records of weight loss attempts or anything. I was told I'd have to pay the initial dietary consult... I think about $200, but I have yet to get a bill and that took place in early July. My DH is retired military so Tricare is my secondary. One EOB that came from them indicated that I may have to pay about $200 of the surgeon's fee, but, so far I think that's all I'll have to pay and it was, as I said, effortless.

We spend the winter in Desert Hot Springs CA and have, for the past three winters, spent at least one whole day in Quartzsite, so I'm sure we'll be going again this winter. It would be great for some of us to get together there. Sounds like fun.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I'm new to this medicare thing, only a few months, so I didn't know for sure how it would work. You relieved my mind greatly and will sleep well tonight. I have AARP for my secondary and so far they have covered everything I have needed. But I wouldn't mind paying out a small 200 for this procedure.

Hopefully, we can get together in Quartzsite. It would be fun.

I'm so very glad to find this page. I'm 62, got my band 4/17/07.

I just moved from Ky to Ga. I need all the support I can get.

I have had problems with the band from day 1.

I need people, my age, who might understand & can give me some advice, & TLC.

:help:

So, "hello everyone.

Glad to see you here.

:clap2:Judyfay

Welcome to the group. I am 58; will be 59 in October. I got my band on August 27th of this year. I have not sailed through like some of the youngsters have. My band slipped even before I got out of recovery. The dr. said it was due to a very large hernia he had to repair. So, two days later, I was back in surgery. He had to put a new band on. So, my day surgery turned into a 5 day stay in the hospital.

Anyway, since then, I have done pretty good. Just a rough start!!!. Since August 13, I have lost 23 pounds. I get to go on Mushies on the 16th of August and one week later, I go on solids.

So, I would be glad to add you to my list of "band buddies"

Hello..:ranger:

I too had a large hernia. That was never addressed by anyone, before or after the surgery. I believe that is part of my problems.

I hate that I never got to see the sergon again after I left the hospital.

My band was too tight from the day of surgery. 4 months out, I only have 1.2 in a 4cc band. I had to have a reduction once. I have so much trouble getting solid food; meat, down. Sometimes I have to do puree &/or liquids. I am loosing very slowly. I exersize 5 days a week. I NEVER cheat. I am hungry. I am NOT happy with this band. They made it sound so easy.

It took me 2 years to get things arranged so I could have the procedure, & now I'm dissapointed.

I really need some encouragement.

I would be pleased to be your buddy

Judy:)

sORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR BAND PROBLEMS juDY AND cLARA. Hope things start looking up for both of you.

I had my first fill yesterday and restriction seems to be a little better.

Dear Judy, I am so sorry that you are disappointed. I know some people have an easy time with the band. I know when I was having problems with mine, I was scared to death they would have to remove it. I think you should try to find a new doctor in your new location. Perhaps it will be an easy fix to get it working correct and it would make you feel so much better. I am on the computer most of the day and check my messages. So, send me messages and I will be back to you asap.

Glad you have joined this group.

Well not really...more of an education. The first few days, I could "feel" the restriction...and that was good. It was what I wanted..no unlimited eating. Then I went on a short road trip with rest stop stops for brief picnic style meals. I reverted to old style eating( ie: fast and unchewed) and had repeated upchucking( the PB's) not fun and PAINFUL. I hope I'll learn from these and chew carefully even when hungry..in this case too hungry. Once I got back home, everything got back to normal...slow and steady eating without problems.

What a drag..telling my girlfriend "excuse me" so I could go barf.

It started with burping that kept escalating...no fun!

In each case within a few hours, with tiny sips of Water, everything restored to pain free.

ttyl,

Walter

<p>I ,too, have problems with getting too hungry & controlling my eating when I do. After 60 years of eating any way I wanted to , it's been really hard to change my ways. Old dog, new tricks....</p> <p>The worse time was when Hubby took me to Apalathchacola for a w/e vacation. We waited until night to eat. I was way too hungry. We found a cafe on the beach at sunset; live music, the works. Everything was perfect. I ate 3 shrimp, & frothed for 30 minutes. Not a very pretty ending to a perfect day.</p> <p>I have never vomited; I only froth. Neither do I berp. I think this is from the hernia they repaired w/ I got my band. But, no one seems to know for sure. So, when I eat something that don't agree we my band, I am in trouble. I have no way of getting any relief. Believe me, sometimes the pain is so bad I just want to die. But, it only last about 10 minutes. TG</p> <p>I would like to hear from anyone else who has these problems.</p> <p>Good luck to all.</p> <p>Judyfay</p>

You have to chew your food very well. If you chew it up until it's practically liquid, you shouldn't have this pain. Don't try to eat bread. It swells up and will not go through the band.

My main problem right now is waiting until my next fill. I am so hungry and afraid of gaining some weight back. Having the correct fill makes all the difference in the world. I want to start losing again!

I think I might need a fill. I think I'm getting too hungry, & you know the rest of that story. My biggest problem is after I exersize. I can only do arthiitis Water arobics, because of my joints, & you know just how hungry water make you. I am shaky when I get out of the pool.

I've started drinking a Protein Shake with fruit in it before I swim. It helps a lot, but not a total cure.

Just talked to my dr. It seems I need an unfill. Too tight.

I go Monday. I'm alway a day late, a dollar short, or my band is too toght.