Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

I'm new to the site and glad to find this area. I am 64 and waiting to see doctor next Tuesday. My insurance won't pay any weight related issues so I am on my own. I plan to take some from savings and borrow the rest. I must say my doctors office has not been helpful with financing info - I was all excited about Care Credit (for medical procedures with 12 months no interest and low interest after that time) but unfortunately they do not take Care Credit. Now I am looking into joining a credit union for the lower interest rate.

Very excited and also apprehensive about getting the procedure. My BMI is 33-34 (I believe this is correct) I have high blood pressure, asthma and a hip replacement so the weight definitely needs to come off and I can't do it no matter how hard I try.

This site has been so helpful and I've only been visiting it for a few days.

Well --"power to the oldies" and good luck to all.

Donna

Cincinnati

BMI 33-34

Possible banding in November????:rolleyes::car::)

One more post from me today - I just went through the entire thread and have a few questions or things to say.

I will be 65 in April since I have to borrow a good portion of the money would it be wiser to wait until April. I think I am a 33 or 34 BMI - does Medicare have a certain BMI you must be?

A few people mentioned going to Mexico for dental work and glasses - could someone give me some info about this?

Have any of you gone to Mexico for the surgery? In my part of the country it is something no one ever even thinks about - Cincinnati Ohio but I did notice on other threads people saying they had gone to Mexico.

And last but not least some info that may be helpful to arthritis sufferers. I have had hip replacement and what I consider severe pain in other parts of body since surgery. I was taking 2 aspirin every 4 hours and it was really bothering my stomach so I have tried a few things that really, really help and now only take the aspirin or rare occasions. I drink decaffinated green tea 2-3 times a day and put turmeric in the V8 juice I have in the morning - these have really helped.

Donna

It is just amazing the things I am learning at this site.

Jennifer I to would love your recipes, I am 68 years old, I was banded 12-06. I had lost 50# now I had my band losened about 6 weeks ago because it was too tight. Now, due to stress , with my older children, and grandchildren and no will power. I have gained 10 lbs. Eating comfort food. I need new recipes and a lot of prayer to get over this hump. I get a fill in a couple of weeks, then maybe I can get over this hump.

Pherndon

I understand grown kids and grandkids problems - I have a 36 yr son who has issues - I am raising his 16 yrs son - but food is not the answer, you know this - you just have forgotten - a little memory slip... Those 10 lbs are going to hurt you not make you feel any better - That little devil on your left shoulder is telling you that the food is helping but it's not it's killing you.... Besides the problems w/your kids - you will have the additional problems that those extra pounds will bring. Come on, you don't want to gain back those 50 lbs and with those first 10 are back and we know how easily the other 40 will follow.

You are in my prayers and thoughts - Please don't compound the problems you are having by trying to eat them away.. Get a tiny fill if that's needed so that the band can help you during this difficult time

Again - Prayers for you...

Janet

okeedokee....I am working on the recipes now. The only problem is that I do everything instinctually - so I have to figure out the measurements. That should not take too long and I'll add recipes as I perfect that part of it. However, start with this:

Salmon Salad

8 oz. fresh cooked salmon without the bones (you can use canned too, but I prefer fresh), cut up into bitesize pieces (or shredded)

About a quarter of a large apple, crisp apple

1/4 c. finely chopped fresh celery

2 TB. sweet pickle relish

Mix above in small bowl. Add the following dressing and mix together.

Now you can help me. How do I do the weight loss chart that so many of you have displayed at the bottom of your messages and how do I get the cute artwork on mine. You all are so clever.

Thanks, Jenifer

3 TB greek yogurt (i.e. Fage or Olkos brand, 0% fat, - it has the consistency of sour cream, but is high in Protein, no fat and low carbs)

1 TB lowfat mayo

splash of apple cider vinegar

1 packet of Splenda

salt & pepper to taste

You can play with this i.e. if it's too dry for your taste add more yogurt; if you like more of any of the salad ingredients, add more apple, salmon, celery, or pickle relish. Don't be afraid to adjust it to your taste.

It's really delicious. Serve with fresh tomatoes dressed with a drop or two of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Hope you like it: it's one of my favorites. I've got a great chicken salad too.

Hopefulme I hear medicare pays for weight loss surgery. Is it worth waiting for them to pay? Good luck whatever you decide....

I am on Medicare/Disability and had very little trouble having my surgery done. My doctor's office handled everything and I didn't have to jump through a lot of the hoops some have had to.. psych consult, etc. No sleep study because I was already diagnosed with sleep apnea and using a CPAP machine. I had a dietary consult required by my surgeon but Medicare probably isn't going to pay for that or for one post-op consult. Those charges are still being processed. I did have to pay $200 of the surgeon's fee. So far I have not had one bit of paperwork on my hospital bill, which is making me a little nervous. I had a cardiac workup within a year of my surgery, so I didn't have to have that either.

My first appointment with my surgeon was May 5th. He wanted me to lose 10% of my body weight. So I went on a pre-op diet and when I was down almost 20# I started bugging them for a surgery date. At first they kept putting me off, but I was persistent because I wanted to have the surgery in the summer since we go south for the winter. I wanted to be well "adjusted" before we left. So they finally gave me a 7/20 surgery date. So, only 2 1/2 months from my first appointment to my surgery date.

Jenifer,

Your recipes sound yummy!! I love Salmon and I love balsamic vinegar. I'll have to try that. I think it was on another thread someone was wanting to make a pumpkin Spice shake. Any ideas on that?? That probably wouldn't be a favorite of mine but lots of folks like pumpkin spice treats at this time of year.

Thank you for the recipes. Where do you find this Greek yogurt?

I don't remember ever seeing it in the store by the regular yogurt.

I hope you will keep the recipes in this section. I don't have a computer so I use my daughter in law's when I come to visit. I don't like to over stay my welcome and stay on the computer the whole time, so I usually just come to this over 60's thread.

Hi Phyl,

thank you for the great web site....I found two dr.s about 70 miles from here that are EXCELLENT .... I will attend the meeting at our local hospital next week to see what they have to say ....then I will contact the other dr.s.

I found a Protein Drink today at our local Festival Foods grocery store. It's called Genuine MUSCLE MILK, 17oz. carton, 32g. Protein, 330 calories....I drank the banana creme and I like it very much....I guess I won't be able to drink the entire 17 oz. after I am banded so the carton will be 4 servings. Price: $2.99. Do you think this is a good protein drink??

it has 14g. carbs and 7g. sugar

Carol

<p>Hi Jenifer,</p> <p>I copied the salmon recipe...thank you!</p> <p>Look up:</p> <p>ticker factory. com</p> <p>That is where you will find the neat charts.</p> <p>Carol</p>

Hi Phyl,

thank you for the great web site....I found two dr.s about 70 miles from here that are EXCELLENT .... I will attend the meeting at our local hospital next week to see what they have to say ....then I will contact the other dr.s.

I found a Protein drink today at our local Festival Foods grocery store. It's called Genuine MUSCLE MILK, 17oz. carton, 32g. protein, 330 calories....I drank the banana creme and I like it very much....I guess I won't be able to drink the entire 17 oz. after I am banded so the carton will be 4 servings. Price: $2.99. Do you think this is a good protein drink??

it has 14g. carbs and 7g. sugar

Carol

Hi, Carol,

Glad you found some good doctors on that site. Glad to be able to help.

Some others on this board have used that Muscle Milk and like it a lot. Protein count, etc. sound good.

To build your weight loss ticker go to this site:

Weight Loss - Diet Ticker

I found both brands at Whole Foods, but I bet if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have it too. It's a little more expensive, but the taste and texture can't be beat and, as I said, it has the consistency of sour cream so is perfect for making dressings for chicken salad and salmon sald and, of course I love it with berries and some kind of sweetner.

I'll try to keep the recipes coming - just need to figure out the ingredient measurements.

Sincerely, Jenifer

Hi All,

Could someone walk me through getting my ticker factory tape from there to here???

I am completely computer illiterate and it's driving me nutz!

Thanks, Carol

Hi All,

Could someone walk me through getting my ticker factory tape from there to here???

I am completely computer illiterate and it's driving me nutz!

Thanks, Carol

Carol

Here you go - follow these instructions

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/