Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

Hi Indio,

Very very good information!!

The 40% failure on the band I assumed was a malfunction, purferation (sp) but I think you are right....it all boils down to what a person is putting in their mouth whether they loss fast, slow or not at all.

I would choose the band because I do not want to stay in the hospital. I spent 15 days in when they did the back surgery...what scared me was the bozo dr wanted to ship me off to a nursing home because in his words, 'I've done all that I can!' and he sure did, he would not own up to botching the surgery...he botched 4 in a 6 week period that I could find....he was supposed to move the muscle away from the spine while he put the screws in....he did not. I did not sue, I just asked a professor/dr. at the University in our state to contact him and tell him what he was doing wrong so this wouldn't happen to anyone else.

Carol - I don't think that the 40% is for malfuctions I am quite sure that it is not that high if it was that high I don't think insurance companies would be paying.. Bypass people think that is the only way to go..

Sorry for your health issues...

Indio,

I was just looking at your progress in your weight reduction, good job!!!! you are really running downhill!!!

I'm sure you have told us what you do for exercise but would you tell me?

Do you have a sedendary job or are you moving around?

Do you stick to 3 meals a day or do you snack inbetween?

How much food can you eat at one time....1/2 cup etc...?

Thanks, Carol

Indio,

I was just looking at your progress in your weight reduction, good job!!!! you are really running downhill!!!

I'm sure you have told us what you do for exercise but would you tell me?

Do you have a sedendary job or are you moving around?

Do you stick to 3 meals a day or do you snack inbetween?

How much food can you eat at one time....1/2 cup etc...?

Thanks, Carol

Carol

Thanks for the props....

Here is a typical days food & exercise.

BF - Dannon Lite & Fit Yogurt with 1/4 cup LF granola

or 1/2 Cup Eggbeaters with a tad of cheese & ham

or a weight control oatmeal

(calories for bf 100 - 160 - Protein 6 - 12 g)

Lunch- Ususally left overs - Veggie 1 - 2 cups & small can of tuna

About once every 2 weeks go out to lunch and eat a Taco

or el pollo loco chick & bean 1 corn tortilla

(Calories lunch 200 to 250 - PT 15)

Afternoon - Clear Protein Drink that my Doc Sells

(calories 70 - 15 grms pt 15)

Dinner - 4 oz baked catfish - 1/2 cup rice or small red bake potato

1 or 2 cup yellow crooked neck squash & zuchinne. or spinach

(calories 320 - 400 - pt 25)

Evening - 2 SF Choc puddings & 1 heathly Choice SF fudgecicle

(calorie 200 to 300 - pt 7)

Exercise - 5 day a week go to gym - walk minimum 2 miles - am now doing a 16 min mile - started at 22 min mile goal is 15 min mile - may do 3 miles on one day and on saturday mornings i strive for 3 or 4 miles and once in a while do a little work on the weights - but mostly just the walking...

Those calories are not exact nor is the menu - I figure i eat about 1000 to 1200 calories a day and get minium 60 grms of protein.

I mostly use I can't believe it's not butter spray on my veggies & rice and some times a tad or real butter and olive oil to bake my fish - I eat fish 5-6 days a week red meat once a week- I count calories and protein and diary all my food in a little notebook that i carry.

Prior to this last fill - i was usually eating 2 cup of food per meal - excluding breakfast.. I got my 2nd fill on 10/24 and will start the whole banding diet over - 1 week full liquids - 1 week mushies - 1 week soft - 4th week back to reg food.

Carol - I am working hard at this and i am hungry at times -- it's a mental challenge to change your eating habits. If i am extra hungry at nite - i eat extra veggies - may have lite toast & butter along with 1/2 cup o.j. (lite) - I dislike exercise very much - but i know that it is a MUST to help you loose weight- I am an Senior Account Manager for a large insurance agency here in the Desert - I have a desk job - and am a former couch potato....

I am divorced - my 16 gs lives with me - I don't keep things in the house that i like to eat (no candy - chip - cakes and I use to eat alot of fried type foods with tons of butter) and very large portions - ususal only cook what i am going to eat that night and if there are left overs put them up right away - I am lucky that my grandson eats things i don't like so i don't have any temptations from him....

That's my day.... Food is no longer the center of my universe....

Hello, everyone. I just found this thread and decided to introduce myself. I'm Judy and had my surgery April 10. 2007. I have lost 54# so far and have reached a plateau. It's been tough to lose anything the last 3 months. My DH had the surgery May 22 and he's lost 45#. We go in for our 4th fill Monday and hopefully we'll find that sweet spot. We exercise and eat what we are supposed to, but lately it's been frustrating with the weight not coming off. We leave for a cruise on the 4th of Nov. and hope the new fill will help us not to graze constantly! We have been on a cruise since having the lap band and it wasn't pretty! I gained 6# and DH gained 7#. Now here a month and a half later, I'm back to where I was before the last cruise. We didn't get a fill before the last one so hopefully this one will make a difference.

Anyway... glad to meet everyone. I turned 60 in June and DH turned 62 in May. We are both retired and loving it!! AND loving the band too!!!

H Judy, I', Judy, too. I was abanded April 17th, of this year. I'm not doing as well as you are. I've had problems since I was rolled out of surgery. I have NO Fluid in my band right now. I have only lost about 35#, & most of that was in the first couple of months. I credit exercise, & dieting, not the band, for any weight loss.

Good luck with the cruise. Have lots of fun & make eating the last thing you do.

Judy

Oh my gosh, I feel terrible for you two Judy's......

Perhaps the weight is going to fall off overnight and surprise you both!!!

Just hopeing....

Can you tell me what you eat in a day and the quantity?

I haven't been banded yet...I'm at the beginning of the process so I'm very curious about you two.

Would you encourage people to be banded?

why or why not?

Where did you get banded? Were you happy with the surgery?

How much exercise do you get?

I hope you will answer....Caool

I had surgery in Georgetown, Ky. I only saw the dr the day of & the day after, surgery. I have ate as little as possible & exercise 3-5 times a week. I DON'T eat fatty foods, sweets, or pop. I just think I'm the 1% that the band simply does not work for. The dr keeps telling me not to give up..yet, but....???

Hi Judy,

As I understand it you have NO FILL???

That would mean your band is not restricting you at all?

In that case you are to be commended for losing your weight all by yourself!!!

If I am correct Fills start 4-6 weeks after surgery.

How come you don't have any???

April was 6 months ago!

JudyFae: You're to be commended on the 35 lb loss. Thirty-five pounds since April with no Fluid in the band is excellent. The average weight loss with banding and adjustments (fills) is one to two pounds a week. You've done that without any fills. Do you know what kind of band you have? The newer VG bands are much larger than the old ones and without any restriction in the band you can pretty much eat anything you want, as long as you chew well. If you're concerned about your weight loss, you should speak to your surgeon and find out about getting an adjustment.

HI ALL,

I AM NOT BANDED YET..

DOES THE DR. TELL YOU A SPECIFIC AMOUNT YOU SHOULD EAT FOR EACH MEAL?

I think I do not have any concept of how much I should eat...that's my problem. I don't seem to have a 'YOU ARE FULL' feeling.

I DO NOT want to vomit....I hate it...even if it really isn't vomit I just abhor the whole process. I would like to avoid it if I can.

So....any idea of how much to eat after surgery???

Thank you for your help...I find this site and the PEOPLE very very helpful.

Carol

HI ALL,

I AM NOT BANDED YET..

DOES THE DR. TELL YOU A SPECIFIC AMOUNT YOU SHOULD EAT FOR EACH MEAL?

I think I do not have any concept of how much I should eat...that's my problem. I don't seem to have a 'YOU ARE FULL' feeling.

I DO NOT want to vomit....I hate it...even if it really isn't vomit I just abhor the whole process. I would like to avoid it if I can.

So....any idea of how much to eat after surgery???

Thank you for your help...I find this site and the PEOPLE very very helpful.

Carol

My doctor required one pre-op and one post-op visit with their dietician. She gave me a print out detailing what I could have and how much. Each doctor's food plan is a little different, but they'll tell you very specifically what you can have.

I have not vomited at all, or pb-ed or slimed or anything. I'm very careful not to push what i can eat. I quit when I start feeling full because I also HATE to vomit and avoid it at all cost!!

Thank You Thank You Thank You Phyl!!!

I have been thinking of this flaw in my make-up since deciding to be banded.

I will attend the 3 hour manditory meeting monday and feel better about proceeding.

By the way, how long was your initial introduction to lap band?

I tried to explain to the nurse that there is no way I can sit for 3 hours with my back disability but I don't think she believed me or just sluffed off what I was saying, she just kept saying, 'it's mandatory'.....so I said I would have to stand, sit, walk and would be miserable but I will do it.

I am bringing 3 friends with me....two nurses....because I know I will not be able to concentrate and won't remember what is said.

I don't know why they couldn't give me info in written form that I could simply read from my home.

Oh....I'm ranting....

Thank you again...I hope the dietician is as competant as yours.

Carol

Thank You Thank You Thank You Phyl!!!

I have been thinking of this flaw in my make-up since deciding to be banded.

I will attend the 3 hour manditory meeting monday and feel better about proceeding.

By the way, how long was your initial introduction to lap band?

I tried to explain to the nurse that there is no way I can sit for 3 hours with my back disability but I don't think she believed me or just sluffed off what I was saying, she just kept saying, 'it's mandatory'.....so I said I would have to stand, sit, walk and would be miserable but I will do it.

I am bringing 3 friends with me....two nurses....because I know I will not be able to concentrate and won't remember what is said.

I don't know why they couldn't give me info in written form that I could simply read from my home.

Oh....I'm ranting....

Thank you again...I hope the dietician is as competant as yours.

Carol

Glad to be of help, Carol. Take a seat cushion with you to the meeting. That might help a little. I can't sit long in hard folding chairs, either. My legs and knees start hurting and I get "twitchy", but, like you said... get up now and then. Do what you need to to make it through it. You won't be sorry because you'll get lots of good info. Often they have people at those meetings who have had the surgery that will share a little about their experience. And you will have an opportunity to ask questions.

I can understand why they want you to be there in person. It'll be okay. You can do it. I think it's also a test of your committment. Those three hours won't be the only discomfort you'll have to go through, but it will be worth it.

I saw two different dieticians and they were both excellent. They had good suggestions for supplements to take after surgery, showed me what 1/2 cup serving looks like, had examples... empty containers... of acceptable foods...different kinds of yogurt, Soups, etc to show me. It was very beneficial.

Oh Phyl, you've revved me up again!!!

I do wish it was over but as you said doing all this will show my commitment.

I will try to remember the cushion....

Carol

Help!!! I was banded four weeks ago and it will be 2-1/2 weeks until I get my first fill. I am very hungry and am unsure what/how much I can eat until my first fill. What did any of you do during this interim period? I have lost 18# and I don't want to gain any of it back before my fill. Would appreciate any words of wisdom and any menus/foods/amounts you could send me. Thank you so much.