Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a topical medicine for my back pain since I can't take the others. I also don't take anything for my period cramps anymore, but they got better as I lost weight.

I have a topical medicine for my back pain since I can't take the others. I also don't take anything for my period cramps anymore, but they got better as I lost weight.

That's encouraging. Hope the same happens for me.

That's encouraging! Hope the same happens for me.

VSGAnn2014,

I understand that I need to ultimately speak to my doctors. I said as much in my response to Inner Surfer Girl. But until I am able to do that what is the harm of me gleening information from those who have been there before me and may have helpful tips and suggestions that I could take to my doctors and inquire about?

What is this forum for if we are never to ask questions we should be asking a doctor? In turn, does that also mean we should never heed anyones advice in this forum that is not a medical professional, no matter how sound? Does that mean that your advice is subjective and doesn't apply to me? Am I only to post my stats and weight loss photos and refrain from asking any questions?

I apologize if I sound rude but I see people reaching out to others here all the time for advice and time and again all they get is "talk to your doctor" ... well duh, of course they will talk to their doctor but in the meantime they are just asking for an opinion or two from those going through what they are. Have you all gotten so far removed that you have forgotten what it's like to crave answers to all your questions? Did you never ask a question that you will be asking your doctor? Ever?

Of course, we invite lots of input from others on a huge array of questions and issues. They range from complications to fashion to marriage to support.

But in response to the specific, very medical question you've asked in this thread I would NEVER begin to advise you. I don't have remotely enough information about your medical situation, your health, your weight history, any eating disorders, your psychology, your metabolism, your family support and what sounds like your serious, very complicated, possibly interacting diagnoses -- to offer an opinion. And nobody here knows what medications you're currently taking.

So that's exactly why I said I thought you would get the best advice by consulting your doctor.

Good luck. :)

Ridgerunner-

Meet me! Lol. You and I were literally in the same boat, but I've had the bypass 2 months ago. I'm 49 in 2 weeks.

I've had non-remitting rheumatoid arthritis since turning 40. My BMI reached 48, and as of last December my weight was pushing 280. Steroids did me in-but taking them was literally the only way I could walk across the room.

Ibuprofen was my best friend. Literally, 4 at a time. Migraines, other pains -you name it. My greatest fear was not being able to take them any longer. I literally MOURNED losing Advil more than the thought of not eating like I used to.

Fast forward til tolday- I have had exactly 1 headache since surgery, and took the Tylenol. It worked quickly. My pains from RA are almost nil. That in itself is a miracle. There were studies done showing people going into remission after gastric surgery. I'm not saying I'm there yet, but after 9 years of daily, debilitating pain, I'm as active as I was before I got sick!

So, two months post op- I'm down to 225, and my BMI is now a 36. I have a long way to go- a solid 60 pounds at least, but it's been the best decision I've made.

Good luck making your choice. Either way, a new life awaits you!!!

This is a topic of much "debate" or differences between surgeons. I had a BMI of 52, was sleeved nearly 5 years ago and maintaining at a normal size/weight - essentially half my former size.

I had a horrible time with a kidney stone and had to take IB for about 3 weeks. My surgeon's office was freaked out, insisted I take a PPI, take it with food etc - everything to protect the stomach. I believe the issue is that IB (NSAID) can increase your risk of an ulcer and post bariatric surgery, well, ulcers are bad.

I have no idea what the facts are, what the research says because I know there are long term sleevers who take NSAIDs.

I've noticed they're now recommending that sleeve patients steer clear of NSAIDs, too, so it may not matter...

I was really freaked out about this before I had bypass because I used to get terrible headaches and sometimes took ibuprofen several times a week. I also have a bad hip joint and took Aleve for it. The PA at my surgeon's office told me that *occasional* use of an NSAID would probably be OK if things got really bad (which I figured was maybe once a month or so - but he didn't specify). However, oddly, my headaches pretty much disappeared after surgery. I still get rare, minor ones - but Tylenol can...and does...take care of those. I got a cortisone injection in my hip the day before surgery so I wouldn't be bothered by hip pain, but as I lost weight, that started to hurt a lot less, too. Suffice it to say, I haven't taken any NSAIDs at all since my surgery a year ago. I was shocked - I thought I could never live without them!

I too have debilitating arthritis with many joint replacements and Migraines. The best thing I ever did was surround myself with a medical team specific to pain management. I am allowed to take prescription strength Ibuprofen occaionally for pain that does not go away by other means first. With the help of Lyrica, Cymbalta and Magnesium I am down to 2-3 Ibuprofen per week. I wanted the bypass as well, but the surgeon felt the sleeve was the best option due to the pain. I have no regrets. For the first time in 20 years I can sleep 5 hours straight without getting out of bed in tears.

VSGAnn2014,

I guess you did not entirely read my post or my answers to you or Inner Surfer Girl. Where I have repeatedly said I would be consulting with my doctors?

I did not ask you or anyone else to diagnose or treat me. I simply asked a simple little question about what OTHERS are doing about THEIR pain without the use of NSAIDS. People ask medical questions on here all the time. This is a forum for WLS not fashion and marriage. Believe me, I know you are not a doctor and I am intelligent enough to decide whether or not something you may be doing to relieve pain may not be right for me. I am sure that I am not alone in this ability.

Ridgerunner-

Meet me! Lol. You and I were literally in the same boat, but I've had the bypass 2 months ago. I'm 49 in 2 weeks.

I've had non-remitting rheumatoid arthritis since turning 40. My BMI reached 48, and as of last December my weight was pushing 280. Steroids did me in-but taking them was literally the only way I could walk across the room.

Ibuprofen was my best friend. Literally, 4 at a time. Migraines, other pains -you name it. My greatest fear was not being able to take them any longer. I literally MOURNED losing Advil more than the thought of not eating like I used to.

Fast forward til tolday- I have had exactly 1 headache since surgery, and took the Tylenol. It worked quickly. My pains from RA are almost nil. That in itself is a miracle. There were studies done showing people going into remission after gastric surgery. I'm not saying I'm there yet, but after 9 years of daily, debilitating pain, I'm as active as I was before I got sick!

So, two months post op- I'm down to 225, and my BMI is now a 36. I have a long way to go- a solid 60 pounds at least, but it's been the best decision I've made.

Hi LisaMergs!

You are well met! Thank you for your advice. It is very encouraging to hear about someone who has had this serious of a problem and is managing well without nsaids. You hit the nail on the head when you said you were dreading being without your advil more than your favorite foods. I have been worried that I will be thinner but in pain. My quality of life is too important. I'm too old to worry about vanity...give me health! :)

This is a topic of much "debate" or differences between surgeons. I had a BMI of 52, was sleeved nearly 5 years ago and maintaining at a normal size/weight - essentially half my former size.

I had a horrible time with a kidney stone and had to take IB for about 3 weeks. My surgeon's office was freaked out, insisted I take a PPI, take it with food etc - everything to protect the stomach. I believe the issue is that IB (NSAID) can increase your risk of an ulcer and post bariatric surgery, well, ulcers are bad.

I have no idea what the facts are, what the research says because I know there are long term sleevers who take NSAIDs.

Thank you for your response CowgirlJane! I have read conflicting studies about nsaids and the sleeve. Some say no never, some say rarely, some say rarely but with ppi and some say it is perfectly safe with the sleeve. Very frustrating. So you have maintained your weight for five years now with a sleeve? Can I ask how old you are?

I've noticed they're now recommending that sleeve patients steer clear of NSAIDs, too, so it may not matter...

I was really freaked out about this before I had bypass because I used to get terrible headaches and sometimes took ibuprofen several times a week. I also have a bad hip joint and took Aleve for it. The PA at my surgeon's office told me that *occasional* use of an NSAID would probably be OK if things got really bad (which I figured was maybe once a month or so - but he didn't specify). However, oddly, my headaches pretty much disappeared after surgery. I still get rare, minor ones - but Tylenol can...and does...take care of those. I got a cortisone injection in my hip the day before surgery so I wouldn't be bothered by hip pain, but as I lost weight, that started to hurt a lot less, too. Suffice it to say, I haven't taken any NSAIDs at all since my surgery a year ago. I was shocked - I thought I could never live without them!

Thanks for sharing your experience catwoman7. I have been lucky so far to not suffer from headaches. I had a cortizone shot once for my knee but it did not help at all. But I have wondered if it would work better on my hip. Appreciate you.

I too have debilitating arthritis with many joint replacements and Migraines. The best thing I ever did was surround myself with a medical team specific to pain management. I am allowed to take prescription strength Ibuprofen occaionally for pain that does not go away by other means first. With the help of Lyrica, Cymbalta and Magnesium I am down to 2-3 Ibuprofen per week. I wanted the bypass as well, but the surgeon felt the sleeve was the best option due to the pain. I have no regrets. For the first time in 20 years I can sleep 5 hours straight without getting out of bed in tears.

Yes MontanaGal!

Thank you for helping me figure this all out. I will for sure be talking at length with my own team to make the best possible decision. I am very encouraged to hear you are doing so well yourself. How long ago were you sleeved?

Ridgerunner-

Hi LisaMergs!

You are well met! Thank you for your advice. It is very encouraging to hear about someone who has had this serious of a problem and is managing well without nsaids. You hit the nail on the head when you said you were dreading being without your advil more than your favorite foods. I have been worried that I will be thinner but in pain. My quality of life is too important. I'm too old to worry about vanity...give me health! :)

Girl you can have both health AND vanity! Take back your life! Lol. I'll be sure to follow your journey!!!

As an aside, my surgeon, upon consultation with my rheumatologist, felt bypass was the safer alternative for me- with autoimmune issues. But that's me.

Ridgerunner-

Hi LisaMergs!

Girl you can have both health AND vanity! Take back your life! Lol. I'll be sure to follow your journey!!!

As an aside, my surgeon, upon consultation with my rheumatologist, felt bypass was the safer alternative for me- with autoimmune issues. But that's me.

Lol! I certainly am gonna give it my all. Thank you sooo much for your help and I hope I can one day return the favor. I wish you the very best in life and weight loss! ❤