Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can completely relate. I had a BMI of 50, and I need both knees replaced as well as my left hip. I lived on Advil, and the thought of living without it terrified me. In the end, I went with the RNY (I also had GERD and could imagine having it get possibly worse with the sleeve). My doctor agreed that RNY was probably best for me, although said either surgery was an option.

My doctor does says occasional use is "ok", but I am 2 months post op and have not used it at all, and do not plan to (unless some amount is required after joint replacement surgery)

I find my knee pain is actually better (not gone by any stretch, but better). I can actually walk down the stairs without using the wall/handrails for the first time in a very long time.

The hip pain is no better, and causes me great pain, although the Advil never did help my hips very much (helped the knees though).

To address your comment about the cortisone shots, I also had them a couple of times in my knees and found they did not help at all. That being said, they help my hip TREMENDOUSLY, so you may consider giving it a shot (pun intended). My pain is virtually gone for a good month, and I get solid pain relief for 2+ months. Unfortunately, I'm only allowed to get them every four months, so for the last 4-6 weeks I am in a ton of pain and have a lot of difficulty sleeping.

I'm sure my next suggestion will prove to be very controversial, but if you live in a state that allows it, have you considered Medical Marijuana? MM has shown to be effect as a pain reliever as well as an anti-inflammatory, both key to treating arthritis. I believe chronic pain/arthritis is a qualifying condition in almost all states where it's legal. It is also much safer than opiates to treat pain. I know people often have strong opinions on MM, but something you may want to consider if you're open to it. Also, it does not have to be smoked, as it can be ingested. There are also non-psychoactive strains available that have very low THC and high CBD, which will allow you to avoid "getting high", but may still offer some relief (CBD is known have anti-inflammatory effects).

I was sleeved Dec 2011; hit goal after losing approx 150# in Feb 2013 and have been maintaining ever since. I turn 52 in a few weeks - I was post menopausal when I was sleeved so all the strikes against me after a lifetime of obesity...

Having said that, I think the rny is a great procedure and should be seriously considered.

This is a topic of much "debate" or differences between surgeons. I had a BMI of 52, was sleeved nearly 5 years ago and maintaining at a normal size/weight - essentially half my former size.

I had a horrible time with a kidney stone and had to take IB for about 3 weeks. My surgeon's office was freaked out, insisted I take a PPI, take it with food etc - everything to protect the stomach. I believe the issue is that IB (NSAID) can increase your risk of an ulcer and post bariatric surgery, well, ulcers are bad.

I have no idea what the facts are, what the research says because I know there are long term sleevers who take NSAIDs.

Thank you for your response CowgirlJane! I have read conflicting studies about nsaids and the sleeve. Some say no never, some say rarely, some say rarely but with ppi and some say it is perfectly safe with the sleeve. Very frustrating. So you have maintained your weight for five years now with a sleeve? Can I ask how old you are?

I was sleeved Dec 2011; hit goal after losing approx 150# in Feb 2013 and have been maintaining ever since. I turn 52 in a few weeks - I was post menopausal when I was sleeved so all the strikes against me after a lifetime of obesity...

Having said that, I think the rny is a great procedure and should be seriously considered.

This is a topic of much "debate" or differences between surgeons. I had a BMI of 52, was sleeved nearly 5 years ago and maintaining at a normal size/weight - essentially half my former size.

I had a horrible time with a kidney stone and had to take IB for about 3 weeks. My surgeon's office was freaked out, insisted I take a PPI, take it with food etc - everything to protect the stomach. I believe the issue is that IB (NSAID) can increase your risk of an ulcer and post bariatric surgery, well, ulcers are bad.

I have no idea what the facts are, what the research says because I know there are long term sleevers who take NSAIDs.

Thank you for your response CowgirlJane! I have read conflicting studies about nsaids and the sleeve. Some say no never, some say rarely, some say rarely but with ppi and some say it is perfectly safe with the sleeve. Very frustrating. So you have maintained your weight for five years now with a sleeve? Can I ask how old you are?

msujester,

I do not have any judgement of marijuana use whether recreational or medical. I have not used it recreationally since my younger years however and am unable to use it medically because I live in a state that quite possibly will be the last hold out to legalize. My job also does random drug testing so there's that too. I am definately going to look in to getting the cortizone shot for my hip. Can't hurt to try it right? Let me ask...have you ever thought that maybe you should have tried the sleeve on for size when the pain gets really bad? Thank you for your feedback. It is quite helpful.

msujester,

Let me ask...have you ever thought that maybe you should have tried the sleeve on for size when the pain gets really bad? Thank you for your feedback. It is quite helpful.

No, not really. But mostly because the severe pain is in my hip and and Advil never really helped my hip anyway. Might be a different story if my knees were killing me because it does help my knees. But my knees are actually a little better due to the drop in weight.

2 months out and no regrets so far. I've been pretty lucky. It's tough, but it's working how it's designed.

CowgirlJane,

Sounds like we have a bit in common. What you have done is amazing! Well done my friend!

Do you think you are the norm or do you think you are the exception? Is this a case of "If I can do it anyone can" or is this a case of constant vigilance and work? Do you know of more people who have accomplished what you have or do you know more people who have regained down the line? I just asked the same question three times didn't I! LOL

Thank you for your honest and insightful perspective msujester. I am feeling much less fustrated and lost then I was when I first posed this question.

You're welcome. I truly hope you get relief from a cortisone shot for your hip if you chose that route. It really is the only thing preserving my sanity until I can have it replaced.

I'm also sure whichever surgery you chose will work for you. There are a lot of challenges, but there are lots of challenges with obesity too.

I've lost 90 lbs since I started this process in February, half of it since surgery on 3/21. I am almost completely off my blood pressure meds (should be 100% off within a couple of weeks), and will be in a MUCH better place for my joint replacement surgeries.

I am almost exactly in the same boat as you (I am 48 with a 49 BMI), and have had the same realization that the bypass is a much better option when you have as serious a fight as we do, with our age and the amount of weight we need to lose. And....I know this isn't popular, but....some of the 5-year sleeve data doesn't seem as strong as was hoped; it's still a great improvement, but long term results are still unknown. And the 20 years of data on the RNY is pretty nice.

If it makes you feel any better.....maybe you and I won't have to worry about monthly cramps much longer. ;-)

I am almost exactly in the same boat as you (I am 48 with a 49 BMI), and have had the same realization that the bypass is a much better option when you have as serious a fight as we do, with our age and the amount of weight we need to lose. And....I know this isn't popular, but....some of the 5-year sleeve data doesn't seem as strong as was hoped; it's still a great improvement, but long term results are still unknown. And the 20 years of data on the RNY is pretty nice.

If it makes you feel any better.....maybe you and I won't have to worry about monthly cramps much longer. ;-)

LOL gina171!

I hope that is true! That day could not come soon enough for me. I haven't "needed" a period for 30 years now but it just keeps hanging on like an unwelcome visitor when it's past your dinner time ;)

Firstly- @

Go green! Sparty On!

@@ridgerunner

@@gina171

I say we make a 48/49 club since the three of us are in exactly the same place! Lol. Good luck ladies!

Edited by LisaMergs

I turned 48 today! [emoji22] I'm hoping to weigh much less on my 49th!

I'm 49 on June 1--- I plan on being DYNAMITE for my 50th!!!! Heck, as it is, I already feel like a million bucks! Almost 60 lbs down from my highest weight! 50 from surgery 8 weeks ago. Now to get to the onederland...25 lbs to go!