Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is a topic of much "debate" or differences between surgeons. I had a BMI of 52, was sleeved nearly 5 years ago and maintaining at a normal size/weight - essentially half my former size.

I had a horrible time with a kidney stone and had to take IB for about 3 weeks. My surgeon's office was freaked out, insisted I take a PPI, take it with food etc - everything to protect the stomach. I believe the issue is that IB (NSAID) can increase your risk of an ulcer and post bariatric surgery, well, ulcers are bad.

I have no idea what the facts are, what the research says because I know there are long term sleevers who take NSAIDs.

I take NSAIDS all the time. Well, not ALL the time, but I rototill gardens and yards on the side and will take them as my hands and joints tend to swell pretty good after a full day. From what I understand, Sleeve patients shouldn't take them for the first 6 months post-op as the swelling actually helps keep the stitching sealed until proper healing occurs. Reduce the swelling too soon, and a leak may present itself.

At least, that is how my Dr explained it to me. Over a week, I will take no less than 4 to 5K mg. Never been an issue, but as LSL points out, consult your team.

Been sleeved almost five years and am maintaining at goal.

I believe research is wise but stats don't matter when something happens to YOU. So i have a sleeve, I lost a crud load of weight and am keeping it off. I guess it doesn't matter how I compare to stats because I can't change my surgery choice anyway!

Btw, I was a failed bandsters so I guess I had alot of strikes against me in terms of chances of success, but I wanted this like the oxygen I breathe. ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

@@ridgerunner

There are pros and cons to each of these surgeries, but regardless of which you choose, how well you do will ultimately depend on you. I know two people who had bypass about 2 years ago. Neither reached goal and both lost control and gained their weight back, one is currently also in rehab (for the second time) thanks to her new alcohol addiction. So there's that bit.

I flip flopped between the sleeve or bypass decision right up to the point where I needed to decide for insurance approval. I also relied heavily on nsaids for arthritis and any other pain in the wherever. In the end, I chose the sleeve for the options it offers, not only with meds (which my surgeon okay'd once I reached all foods stage tho I've barely needed them), but when my surgeon told me that there are more options for sleeve revision and basically none for bypass, that sealed the deal for me. Commitment scares me a little ;) Also since the sleeve is next to impossible to stretch, I feel it will serve me better in the long term. Portion size has always been my biggest problem. At this point, I am thrilled with my sleeve decision!

All that said, you have to choose the surgery you feel is best for you, but be sure to look at all the angles. Tons of people here have blown right past their weight loss goals with the sleeve. Forget about the statistics. The end result is up to the individual and how well one chooses to work their tool.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response! Yes, I have been driving myself crazy looking at all the pros and cons for one or the other. My true decision will probably not come until I have my last consult with my surgeon. I had started out so ansy waiting for "the day" to come but as I look deeper I am actually glad I have time to weigh all things and make the decision that is best for me. I think it is as hard as it is because when you geat down to the bones of it the sleeve and bypass are BOTH excellent choices.

Just wanted to say to everyone who has reached out to me with support and advice...You have all given me options to look at and important ideas to weigh I would not otherwise have considered. When you are starting this journey it is such uncharted territory that it can be overwhelming and a little scary. You have all made me feel less alone and I feel more empowered to make the decision that is best for me. From the bottom of my heart, Thank You All ❤

@@ridgerunner,

Talk to your doctor, for sure! Ask about the alternative medications. Also, ask whether some of your conditions might get a lot better (and less painful) if you do lose a lot of weight.

I’m not certain about the rules, but are you allowed to take NSAIDS after the sleeve but not the RNY? If that’s the case, I wouldn’t rule out the sleeve just because of its slower rate of weight loss. In reality, we’re probably talking about a difference of a few months to hit goal weight after sleeve versus RNY. That’s not a lot of time in the context of life! I know you’re 49…and that is not “old” in the slightest. Whether you hit goal when you’re 50 or 51, it doesn’t really matter. You have decades left to live!

Just my opinion. Good luck getting answers. I agree – those natural medicines don’t usually seem to do much.

Thanks for taking the time to address my question. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the sleeve and NSAIDS. Ultimately it will probably come down to what the individuals surgeon believes and what the patient does with that advice. But for the most part there seems to be a way better possibilty of taking them when sleeved then with bypass. I am feeling much more encouraged about my chances with the sleeve and will be talking to my surgeon about all my newly acquired knowledge...and thanks for saying I'm not old ????

definitely not to old for this - there are lots of us on this forum who had WLS when we were over 50