Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breakfast ideas and PCOS ladies

Hi everyone,

What else can I eat for Breakfast besides, meat, eggs, and Protein shakes?

Breakfast and snacking is my area of weakness.

I'm still teetering between being a self pay and using my insurance.

A part of me is saying let's pay and get it over with and the other side of me is saying let's go long and slow, but I do know that I need to buckle down and get serious. I'm blessed to not have any comorbid conditions at 5'4, 235lb.

However, I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and taking metformin.

I've read on other message boards that I may not need weight loss surgery because a low carb lifestyle will take care of this condition , but I also read that when you go off of metformin, it will make you gain weight again. So far, I've been on Metformin for 2 weeks 500 mg twice a day. Happily not gaining weight, and have lost 2 lbs.

I hope I can do this for a lifetime. Need some inspiration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Hi there! I also have PCOS and my doctor is really behind me in my decision to have sleeve surgery. With the hormones all over the place it is hard to lose weight, add in thyroid issues that are common just makes it worse. I am on metformin, 1500 mg a day and do low carb. I've lost less than 3 lbs in a month, so yeah, I can lose, but it will take me years doing that to get to my goal.

The decision is yours to make, but the tools available will make it easier to get to your healthy goal weight faster, giving you more time to work on other things like living your life!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much. I'm glad I'm not alone with this PCOS stuff. ????. I definitely want the surgery, but it's tough to cook for them and eat my food. Wondering if I should do love carb for the whole family. ????. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Hubby and I are both doing this, so it's pretty easy to adapt our dinners. My sister in law had it about nine years ago and had four big boys and a hubby to cook for, that was hard as she just ate the same as them, just smaller portions. She is thinking of doing the diet part of the process again to try to lose weight again. Our family is horrible for meals, lots of celebrations at the Chinese buffet or bar & grill in town. It's been tough as far as that, but at home we do ok. I just had dinner, chicken from the deli with the greasy skin taken off. For dessert I had a bowl of strawberries with whipped topping from the can. I drink tons of Water which helps keep ,e from snacking.

As far as breakfast ideas, I do a Protein drink and then I get my coffee from McDonald's and will get a sausage burrito, love those things and they aren't horrible to eat. I've seen other suggestions like the muffin tin omelette or quiche thingies, check Pinterest for ideas too.

You are not alone with PCOS, I've seen lots of other ladies with it here. Good luck!

@@teedsg ..You don't mention your age but I have PCOS and tried Metformin (and everything else) to lose weight in my late 20's and 30's. I am now 47, have high BP, thyroid disease, sleep apnea, multilevel disc degeneration, etc and weigh 289lbs. I wish I didn't wait so long to decide on surgery. Give the low carb diet and Metformin a try but don't wait too long if it's not helping (drastically). I feel like I blinked and weigh 100+ lbs more. Regardless of what you decide, lowering your carbs will be good for everyone!

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Yes! We're in the same boat for dinner. We eat out on occasion, too, but when I'm at home, I do well. Please don't say the "M" word, I had to be sent to Mickey D, rehab for their delicious coffee, apple and strawberry cream pie, and butter biscuits. Lol! As far as Water, I drink between 64 and 72 oz a day and it doesn't help with snacking all the time, but some times it does. ????

I'm 36 BTW.

I'm 43, and I'm a coffeeholic too. I found some good recipes on Pinterest, some low carb pancakes, muffins, casseroles, even radish hash browns. Yuk! I found some low carb tortillas at the store, and I use them for wraps for lunches and burritos. We both like Mexican food so we do tacos and burritos often.

If you shop on Amazon I found some yummy pepperoni sticks, 2 sticks have 1 carb. They are great for snacking with some cheese for a portable lunch.

I am about a month into the process, hoping to have my sleeve in September. I'm from just outside Green Bay, wi which is where my surgeon is located. I have my psych evaluation on Tuesday and my first nutrition and exercise appointment on Friday.

Where you located?

@@teedsg ..You don't mention your age but I have PCOS and tried Metformin (and everything else) to lose weight in my late 20's and 30's. I am now 47, have high BP, thyroid disease, sleep apnea, multilevel disc degeneration, etc and weigh 289lbs. I wish I didn't wait so long to decide on surgery. Give the low carb diet and Metformin a try but don't wait too long if it's not helping (drastically). I feel like I blinked and weigh 100+ lbs more. Regardless of what you decide, lowering your carbs will be good for everyone!

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Very true. I feel like I got diagnosed late which was only March 25, 2016.

I've had years of irregular cycles, and been on birth control for at least 20 years or so until I had my son in 2008. I am now 36.

Dr's would say its just fibroids. All in all they finally saw the cysts about 2 weeks ago. So, I got my tubes tied on March 29th 2016 and will be done with birth control for ever. Using depo as a backup. Depo shot should wear off in three months, I hope.

I may go ahead and give my body a break for a while and I hope to get sleeved before end of this year or when I've gotten a good grasp on low carb lifestyle.

I'm 43, and I'm a coffeeholic too. I found some good recipes on Pinterest, some low carb pancakes, muffins, casseroles, even radish hash browns. Yuk! I found some low carb tortillas at the store, and I use them for wraps for lunches and burritos. We both like Mexican food so we do tacos and burritos often.

If you shop on Amazon I found some yummy pepperoni sticks, 2 sticks have 1 carb. They are great for snacking with some cheese for a portable lunch.

I am about a month into the process, hoping to have my sleeve in September. I'm from just outside Green Bay, wi which is where my surgeon is located. I have my psych evaluation on Tuesday and my first nutrition and exercise appointment on Friday.

Where you located?

Cool! I'm in Atlanta Georgia.

I'm an Amazon fanatic! Lol. If they have turkey pepperoni, I'll be in there!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when we were trying unsuccessfully to have a baby. The NP recommended the South Beach diet because encourages lean Protein, veggies, fruit, and whole grains, and is pretty easy to follow. I did awesome on it. Lost 75+ lbs without too much gnashing of teeth., and I felt awesome. Unfortunately, I gained it all back (plus another 30 lbs!) when I stopped eating as healthy when we adopted a baby boy.

One blog I really enjoyed for recipe ideas is http://www.kalynskitchen.com/. Lots of good ideas for carb conscious meals.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have PCOS as well and never had success on any diet. I am on metformin 1000mg a day. We also adopted a baby boy in 2014.

I am about a month into this whole process. ???? Just had my psych eval and it went well. Hope to be sleeved in 3 months or so.

Trying to find better Breakfast solutions. Tried doing a smoothie this morning with almond milk, spinach, banana, mango, and kiwi. I used too much spinach so it tastes like a salad.

I do not have PCOS but I am sure the sleeve will help you. As for the question, since I have been able to eat solid I have made twice the bacon egg bites from food.com and they are delicious. I also use cottage cheese and some kind of fruit. My Dr said old fashion oatmeal is ok as long as I put some Protein powder in it. I also used eggs and a banana to make some pancake one Sunday. Was not to keen on it as it tasted like too much banana for me.

Daniotra Thanks so much for giving us this site. I just looked at it and saw 3 recipes (not breakfast) I will be using. By the way there are some great breakfast recipes but they are mostly all eggs.