Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Start Eating Solid Food Before They Should?

and if so how soon after surgery? and how did it go?

Technically no I didn't. I "blurred the lines" between purees and soft foods- but otherwise I stuck to my 1 week clear liquid, 2 week full liquids and then purees/soft foods for 4 weeks.

No ill effects- but then I figure I mostly followed the rules

Hi, and what a strange question! I would think anybody that would still feel a need to play around with this process has a reduced chance of making it long term but it takes all types, plus I realize that this is what makes us human: we simply HAVE to push against boundaries... I've been doing that my whole life. Personally, at this juncture, I am determined enough and frankly frightened by the whole process enough as to be uncharacteristically obedient and very careful and diligent. You crack me up....!!

PS: I take this post to be confessional...

I guess I'd ask myself why would you have the surgery if you are considering or have already gone against what they tell you? You can split your little pouch open and have a much bigger mess on your hands, and as I recall even death if you don't take care of yourself ...or you could not lose any weight.

These questions are tough to hear for me, because I took so much time to get my head right before this surgery.

My program required 1 psychology session that lasted an hour. That will NEVER be enough for people with food addiction issues imo.

I took a year, and worked on food addiction issues with a therapist twice a month, before I even had surgery. I still, 9.5 months out have no real hunger to speak of. Neither should anyone. According to my surgeon. Any hunger you are feeling is head hunger and that's something you need to work out with yourself, and a therapist.

Of course, just my opinion, but you asked, we will all answer, honestly, I assume.

Hi, and what a strange question! I would think anybody that would still feel a need to play around with this process has a reduced chance of making it long term but it takes all types, plus I realize that this is what makes us human: we simply HAVE to push against boundaries... I've been doing that my whole life. Personally, at this juncture, I am determined enough and frankly frightened by the whole process enough as to be uncharacteristically obedient and very careful and diligent. You crack me up....!!

PS: I take this post to be confessional...

Oh it is confessional ;) the thing is I feel fine and I am as careful as I can be pushing such phase but worried at the same time

Sent from my GT-N7100 using the BariatricPal App

That you're worried is a VERY good sign, it means you can still get therapy to make sure this surgery works for you.

I have to ask, though I realize you probably don't really know the real answer, but why in the hell would you do that?

You've got a whole buncha people on here shaking their heads, wondering the same thing.

I was always too weak and practically have no life. The moment I started eating tiny amounts I have normal energy and my life is back...I can go foe long walks with my dog...and most importantly my head hunger entirely disappeared

I'm still in the puree stage and finally starting to feel good- getting a handle on drinking enough fluids, Proteins, appropriate foods, and having enough energy for long walks. Honestly I wouldn't want to push it and mess up my pouch, plus it seems like that would be a slippery slope right back to bad eating habits.

Slippery slope is my main concern

I'm kind of shaking my head because of the scolding this person got for asking a question. I understand your thinking but this is a forum for support not a browbeating.

and if so how soon after surgery? and how did it go?

No, I didn't.

But, when I had my first follow-up post-op nutrition class, I noticed that everyone who was following the program were doing well and feeling great and everyone who had "cheated" or advanced too quickly were miserable. I know it is anecdotal but it made an impression on me.

Patience is a virtue and is for your benefit.

In regards to pureeing all my foods....I never did. I just masticated the living crap out of each bite before swallowing. However, I stuck to the diet (approved foods) for each stage and experimented with different foods once I hit the stage 3 diet (making sure to stay within the approved foods listed).

I was always too weak and practically have no life. The moment I started eating tiny amounts I have normal energy and my life is back...I can go foe long walks with my dog...and most importantly my head hunger entirely disappeared

Maybe it was because you were getting more nutrition.

You CAN get enough nutrition within your food phases, but you have to put in some effort.

The phases are so your stomach can heal.

Make sure you are getting in all of your Protein, fluids, and Vitamins and you will get your energy back.

This is a scary disease that got us here, people are people, they get easily startled.

This is a scary disease that got us here, people are people, they get easily startled.

I'm 100% with you on this one. @@pedro Valle-Iclan.

People can say we are browbeating, but going along with someone and saying "It's ok" is why so many of us ended up like we did in the first place. Be accountable!

I spent basically my entire life thinking the way to comfort myself was food. When I was a little girl, I would come home from school crying, because the kids were making fun of me because I was fat. Know what my mom did? She gave me oreo Cookies to comfort me, or a donut, or a twinkie, or a piece of cake.

I don't give a hoot if I'm considered popular or not here, I'm so over the popularity contest here. If you ask a question you're going to get an honest answer and opinion. That's all it is though....MY opinion, entitled to it, just as everyone else is to their own.

Why have the surgery if you start cheating after losing what...18 lbs? Makes no sense to me at all. You have a hell of a long way to go. I'd get into therapy immediately, especially before you rip that tiny stomach open.

*still shaking my head*

P.S. I got set straight by a regular, that this is NOT a support group, when I first started coming here. I don't treat it as such since that time.

Edited by SkinnyDown