Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Start Eating Solid Food Before They Should?

Hi, and what a strange question! I would think anybody that would still feel a need to play around with this process has a reduced chance of making it long term but it takes all types, plus I realize that this is what makes us human: we simply HAVE to push against boundaries... I've been doing that my whole life. Personally, at this juncture, I am determined enough and frankly frightened by the whole process enough as to be uncharacteristically obedient and very careful and diligent. You crack me up....!!

PS: I take this post to be confessional...

I guess I'd ask myself why would you have the surgery if you are considering or have already gone against what they tell you? You can split your little pouch open and have a much bigger mess on your hands, and as I recall even death if you don't take care of yourself ...or you could not lose any weight.

These questions are tough to hear for me, because I took so much time to get my head right before this surgery.

My program required 1 psychology session that lasted an hour. That will NEVER be enough for people with food addiction issues imo.

I took a year, and worked on food addiction issues with a therapist twice a month, before I even had surgery. I still, 9.5 months out have no real hunger to speak of. Neither should anyone. According to my surgeon. Any hunger you are feeling is head hunger and that's something you need to work out with yourself, and a therapist.

Of course, just my opinion, but you asked, we will all answer, honestly, I assume.

That you're worried is a VERY good sign, it means you can still get therapy to make sure this surgery works for you.

I have to ask, though I realize you probably don't really know the real answer, but why in the hell would you do that?

You've got a whole buncha people on here shaking their heads, wondering the same thing.

This is a scary disease that got us here, people are people, they get easily startled.

I'm 100% with you on this one. @@pedro Valle-Iclan.

People can say we are browbeating, but going along with someone and saying "It's ok" is why so many of us ended up like we did in the first place. Be accountable!

I spent basically my entire life thinking the way to comfort myself was food. When I was a little girl, I would come home from school crying, because the kids were making fun of me because I was fat. Know what my mom did? She gave me oreo Cookies to comfort me, or a donut, or a twinkie, or a piece of cake.

I don't give a hoot if I'm considered popular or not here, I'm so over the popularity contest here. If you ask a question you're going to get an honest answer and opinion. That's all it is though....MY opinion, entitled to it, just as everyone else is to their own.

Why have the surgery if you start cheating after losing what...18 lbs? Makes no sense to me at all. You have a hell of a long way to go. I'd get into therapy immediately, especially before you rip that tiny stomach open.

*still shaking my head*

P.S. I got set straight by a regular, that this is NOT a support group, when I first started coming here. I don't treat it as such since that time.

You find one thread out of many hundreds unacceptable and you dismiss the entire site? Well, ok then, but that fact and your shaming of everyone sort of exposes your own intolerance.

The sleeve is whole different deal, you don't have a NEW stomach created , so why not? I was scared to death to cause any damage to the new healing stomach.

Whoa!! No, I misunderstood the surgery!! I thought sleeve was just a plastic sleeve "slid" over the stomach, like a more sophisticated band... oops..

He doesn't perform sleeve so it wasn't really discussed. I had a RNY

I have read and re-read this thread several times in hope of reading something, --anything positive posted from the above posters that I am responding to. Instead, all I have read is ridicule, sarcasm, and defamation---oh, and ignorance.

BP IS a support group. We are here to support one another, and hopefully advice through our own bumps in the road.

Can you not read the call for help from the original poster? She is asking for help, not for your venom, and that is all I am feeling--venom being spewed onto a questioning, stunned victim.

If you are ignorant about the different WLS, please, do NOT post as if you do. That does more harm than good.--and speaking so, makes you appear arrogant and quite "stupid".

Leave the advice giving to those who have knowledge and heart to speak of such things.

Please,Please: "If you can't improve upon the silence--don't"

To the original poster:

Please, do not judge this group by the two posters that I am responding to. BP as a whole is a marvelous group of caring people who want nothing more than to help you to succeed in your journey. You may need some "turn about" guidance, but even then it will be done in a caring and heartfelt way.

Try reposting your question in a few days, maybe rephrasing it a wee bit. --Don't give the "negative nuggies" any ammo to fire at you. :)

In the meantime, call your surgeon's office or your NUT and ask their advice. They will be able to guide you and get you back on the correct path .

Prayers going up for you.

There are rules for a reason. And everyone is entitled to make whatever choices they want. And there are consequences for the choices we make, good and bad. Everyone CAN follow the rules. It's just whether or not each person will choose to or not. And that directly affects the outcome. Being human also includes people who choose to follow the rules. We are ALL human.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Valentina,

People are not negative because they tell the truth. "Support" has become this "Everything is beautiful" word and that's not what support is. I appreciate that people on here are not going to lie or sugarcoat the truth.

By you trying to vilify other people's posts by judging them, you've done this person a great disservice. She is receiving help. Maybe you don't like it, but you can't dictate how we help people on here. This is the only place I've been on where people tell the truth. And in an age where not a lot of people are or want to be accountable, it's refreshing to see it here. Real support. Because we do actually care. About everyone succeeding in the healthiest way possible. So that means telling the truth. If you cheat the system, the only one cheated is you. Is it worth it? What is gaining your health back worth to you? Do you want temporary or long term? How hard will you work for it? Follow the instructions. They are there to help you be successful. None of us is smarter than the doctor. You can do it!!!

Hi, and what a strange question! I would think anybody that would still feel a need to play around with this process has a reduced chance of making it long term but it takes all types, plus I realize that this is what makes us human: we simply HAVE to push against boundaries... I've been doing that my whole life. Personally, at this juncture, I am determined enough and frankly frightened by the whole process enough as to be uncharacteristically obedient and very careful and diligent. You crack me up....!!

I guess I'd ask myself why would you have the surgery if you are considering or have already gone against what they tell you? You can split your little pouch open and have a much bigger mess on your hands, and as I recall even death if you don't take care of yourself ...or you could not lose any weight.

These questions are tough to hear for me, because I took so much time to get my head right before this surgery.

My program required 1 psychology session that lasted an hour. That will NEVER be enough for people with food addiction issues imo.

I took a year, and worked on food addiction issues with a therapist twice a month, before I even had surgery. I still, 9.5 months out have no real hunger to speak of. Neither should anyone. According to my surgeon. Any hunger you are feeling is head hunger and that's something you need to work out with yourself, and a therapist.

Of course, just my opinion, but you asked, we will all answer, honestly, I assume.

That you're worried is a VERY good sign, it means you can still get therapy to make sure this surgery works for you.

I have to ask, though I realize you probably don't really know the real answer, but why in the hell would you do that?

You've got a whole buncha people on here shaking their heads, wondering the same thing.

This is a scary disease that got us here, people are people, they get easily startled.

People can say we are browbeating, but going along with someone and saying "It's ok" is why so many of us ended up like we did in the first place. Be accountable!

I spent basically my entire life thinking the way to comfort myself was food. When I was a little girl, I would come home from school crying, because the kids were making fun of me because I was fat. Know what my mom did? She gave me oreo Cookies to comfort me, or a donut, or a twinkie, or a piece of cake.

I don't give a hoot if I'm considered popular or not here, I'm so over the popularity contest here. If you ask a question you're going to get an honest answer and opinion. That's all it is though....MY opinion, entitled to it, just as everyone else is to their own.

Why have the surgery if you start cheating after losing what...18 lbs? Makes no sense to me at all. You have a hell of a long way to go. I'd get into therapy immediately, especially before you rip that tiny stomach open.

*still shaking my head*

P.S. I got set straight by a regular, that this is NOT a support group, when I first started coming here. I don't treat it as such since that time.

You find one thread out of many hundreds unacceptable and you dismiss the entire site? Well, ok then, but that fact and your shaming of everyone sort of exposes your own intolerance.

The sleeve is whole different deal, you don't have a NEW stomach created , so why not? I was scared to death to cause any damage to the new healing stomach.

>

>Whoa!! No, I misunderstood the surgery!! I thought sleeve was just a plastic sleeve "slid" over the stomach, like a more sophisticated band... oops..

I have read and re-read this thread several times in hope of reading something, --anything positive posted from the above posters that I am responding to. Instead, all I have read is ridicule, sarcasm, and defamation---oh, and ignorance.

BP IS a support group. We are here to support one another, and hopefully advice through our own bumps in the road.

Can you not read the call for help from the original poster? She is asking for help, not for your venom, and that is all I am feeling--venom being spewed onto a questioning, stunned victim.

If you are ignorant about the different WLS, please, do NOT post as if you do. That does more harm than good.--and speaking so, makes you appear arrogant and quite "stupid".

Leave the advice giving to those who have knowledge and heart to speak of such things.

To the original poster:

Please, do not judge this group by the two posters that I am responding to. BP as a whole is a marvelous group of caring people who want nothing more than to help you to succeed in your journey. You may need some "turn about" guidance, but even then it will be done in a caring and heartfelt way.

Try reposting your question in a few days, maybe rephrasing it a wee bit. --Don't give the "negative nuggies" any ammo to fire at you. :)

In the meantime, call your surgeon's office or your NUT and ask their advice. They will be able to guide you and get you back on the correct path .

We are entitled to our own opinions. I also said, I was set straight by a regular a long time ago, and told this is NOT a support group. It's a forum. I treat it as such, and I answer honestly, and do not give excuses, allow victimization, or tell people it's ok if they cheat, in fact it is NOT OK. Sorry, but that's how so many of us got fat to begin with. I even gave an example of what my mother did to me as a child to help me associate comfort with food. We are addicts, admitting that is the first step. We didn't get fat because we looked at a piece of pie or passed up a cupcake. I'm realistic. I'm tougher on myself than anyone else, but I've also lost 142 lbs in under 10 months. You talk of how we are shaming? Point that finger back to yourself. You're doing it too. Only my shaming might wake her up, so she stops killing herself. What is your shaming helping?

Edited by SkinnyDown

Wow, what cautionary tales!! Personally, a great deal of my morbid obesity (I use that phrase to shock and remind myself how serious this got) began long ago with serious emotional problem

beginning really young (I realize some people got this way through physical problems)but eventually these emotional problems created this physical problem of obesity that took on a life of its own

and I couldn't reverse it, or at least I could only temporarily, always gaining it all back again.

So in short I greatly fear gaining it all back once again (anyone have a gun?) which is why I

now go to a regular shrink regularly, the bariatric support groups twice a month, meditate, and walk like crazy.....Regardless of whatever "training and counseling" one goes through pre-op, there are undoubtedly many of us who have

taken this route as a quick fix, and I certainly understand that, not ridicule that, but it is sad because it won't work

Edited by Pedro Valle-Inclan

*still shaking my head*

Whoa!! No, I misunderstood the surgery!! I thought sleeve was just a plastic sleeve "slid" over the stomach, like a more sophisticated band... oops..

To the original poster:

Thanks for your post! I really appreciate it. Believe it or not on another question of mine about chocolate this guy made fun of my question...called it silly when Pedro Valle decided to intervene there as well and ask him to elaborate! And when I explained that raw cacao is actually good for us and vegan chocolate is healtht he insinuated that I am too fat in comparison to him to advise him on what is healthy calling me silly again!!! People are just vile and angry on this forum to be honest! And exceptionally judgemental of each other.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using the BariatricPal App

Sorry to interrupt your self-righteous love/support fest, but if you actually HAD read the

posts carefully and without an agenda you'd see the only people saying "vile, arrogant and

nasty" stuff are YOU guys. No one I've ever seen here has told anyone they're fat, even though we all have been,what nonsense.

We've often indulged ourselves for years, a little un sugar-coated truth, I believe, is better

than some new age support at all costs mentality even in lieu

of some truth. Now in terms of commenting when I didn't realize what the actual operation entailed, the sleeve,

I'm sorry I commented, but the rest of the crap you two are saying here is just that, crap!

So please, enough with the attacks; you haven't been attacked even though you think you have been

To be fair, I did call us all fat. I'm owning up to that. It's true. We can't have bariatric surgery unless we are fat. I'm not afraid of the word, FAT, I've been called that for many many years. I've heard it whispered as I walk by a group of men, nudging each other and asking "how'd you like to sleep with that?", I've heard it shouted out the windows of cars as people drive by. I heard it so many times daily as a child....I heard it last week from a guy on an online dating site who called me a big fat *ucking pig, because I rejected him.

I'm blunt, I think the people here who are so appalled that I and others are saying blunt truthful things, are allowing the OP to feel victimized or suggest they she is being victimized when she is just being told some serious truth. That is wrong in my opinion. Here, have a cookie, or a piece of cake, feel better. NOPE not happening here. Not in my posts.

For someone to coddle someone who wants to cheat in the first few weeks after surgery makes no sense to me.

I'm real, I'm blunt, I'm honest...

Unless the OP gets some help, she's probably going to rip her tiny pouch apart, and possibly bleed out and die, or she is never going to be successful at losing the weight. She quite obviously needs help.

The sad part, is that she's eating up all the "you're a victim" posts, and probably continues to eat solid foods when she's not supposed to, because the "comforters" are saying it's ok. Without saying the words, they have enabled her to be put in that victim role. Great job you guys!

THIS is why I keep telling my bariatric team that they absolutely need to revamp their program. So many bariatric programs need help. I did a year of intensive therapy before surgery to work on my food addictions, and I continue to receive therapy for my addiction issues. We did not get fat by smelling food! We shoved all that food in us and got big for a reason. Each of us needs to figure out what that reason is. Until people do they should NEVER be allowed to have this surgery.

Like I've said before, this is not a support group. It's a forum, filled with information about various bariatric surgeries. It's really nothing more, nothing less. I was set straight gratefully from the start on that. Don't fool yourself on this one. You may find a few supportive friends here and there. I have. But overall, you're going to find a lot of people asking questions like this OP does, and a lot of people smacking their heads and wondering how a person like that even was approved for surgery!

I'm not here to enable anyone.

I'm also not here to make any special friends.

I'm here for some information, to answer some questions if I can, honestly and truthfully, and to keep myself accountable, by tracking my progress.

You do it your way, and let us do it our way.

@@Valentina,

People are not negative because they tell the truth. "Support" has become this "Everything is beautiful" word and that's not what support is. I appreciate that people on here are not going to lie or sugarcoat the truth.

By you trying to vilify other people's posts by judging them, you've done this person a great disservice. She is receiving help. Maybe you don't like it, but you can't dictate how we help people on here. This is the only place I've been on where people tell the truth. And in an age where not a lot of people are or want to be accountable, it's refreshing to see it here. Real support. Because we do actually care. About everyone succeeding in the healthiest way possible. So that means telling the truth. If you cheat the system, the only one cheated is you. Is it worth it? What is gaining your health back worth to you? Do you want temporary or long term? How hard will you work for it? Follow the instructions. They are there to help you be successful. None of us is smarter than the doctor. You can do it!!!

The posters I responded to where not supporting. They were criticizing and on top of their negative statements they did not even know their facts.

There are many ways of "pitching a ball" to get it to home plate. Whacking it over the batter's head is NOT the best way to do it.

On this day, My opinion and how to be supportive AND pleasant. It's not difficult. Try it sometime. :)-

I love Skinny Down...!! Can I get an Amen?

Amen....

May God bless you and help you to heal whatever has embittered your hearts. May he also help you to feel the need to do research of the facts of WLS before speaking of it to others who are seeking information and guidance.

It is much better to say nothing than to give wrong information. That can be dangerous.

God bless you. Have a blessed day.

May God bless you and help you to heal whatever has embittered your hearts.

May he also help you to feel the need to do research of the facts of WLS before speaking of it to others who are seeking information and guidance.

It is much better to say nothing than to give wrong information. That can be dangerous. For now, you are dismissed.

I love Skinny Down...!! Can I get an Amen?

Amen....

Amen!

hehehehe

Keep it real!

May God bless you and help you to heal whatever has embittered your hearts. May he also help you to feel the need to do research of the facts of WLS before speaking of it to others who are seeking information and guidance.

It is much better to say nothing than to give wrong information. That can be dangerous.

May God bless you and help you to heal whatever has embittered your hearts.

May he also help you to feel the need to do research of the facts of WLS before speaking of it to others who are seeking information and guidance.

It is much better to say nothing than to give wrong information. That can be dangerous. For now, you are dismissed.

They They They,

You want to address anyone specifically? Come on. Or want to keep being passive aggressive?

Who are you talking to here, and why are you bringing God into this, on a Bariatric forum?

Why don't you ask yourself if what you are putting out is helpful. We are trying to help wake the OP up, and realize she is in trouble, and should get some professional help, so she doesn't hurt herself. That's bad to you evidently.

You do realize, that you would never be able to recognize "embittered hearts" and every other vile thing you have called us and see in us, if it wasn't in you already. Think about that one...take your time.

Pedro made one mistake, corrected himself, and you're still going on about it. Multiple times! Let it go. You're the one who is dismissed.

I'm actually a very positive, fun, and ultra realistic individual. You wouldn't know that, or that we were really trying to help, because you were so busy judging people here. Just because you are into coddling, and not concerned about accountability, doesn't mean we all are. You'd do yourself some good to learn how to accept everyone for who they are, and how they are. You're the one with God's name on your lips. Maybe you need to review those beliefs, because they don't match your attitude.

At this point, you're just fighting yourself, lady. Maybe it's time to move on to a new topic.

Peace out!

So much negativity on this site. I think I'll just use Google from now on

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

yup, that's why they call us "Los Negativos....!!"