Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Start Eating Solid Food Before They Should?

I don't believe I said anything about going along with breaking ones diet. I just think this person was not treated as they should have been for asking a question. If people aren't here for support and information, what are they here for? I find this very disappointing and I will not be back

Edited by samcl1

When I joined, I was told by my surgeon that bariatric pal was a good place to go for support. I am extremely disappointed in how people are talked by by some members for simply being human and feeling free to ask. I am aghast the attreatment and shaming this person received, esp when her response was they "have always been weak and have no life" you people should be ashamed. And if you are not a support group...what are you?. I have gotten some good advise on this site, but yesterday's action sealed it for me. No thank you.

You find one thread out of many hundreds unacceptable and you dismiss the entire site? Well, ok then, but that fact and your shaming of everyone sort of exposes your own intolerance.

I was on a clear liquid diet while in the hospital, full liquids for a little over a weak and soft for 1 day. I was basically eating regular food by day 10 or so. I can't wait to see what some of the comments will be, but rest assured, I am a big girl (no pun intended), and I can take care of myself. I was sleeved on 2/8 and have lost 35 pounds, so I can't be doing too terribly. Everyone is different. If you can follow the diet, great. I could not. Almost everything liquidy or soft started making me nauseous and I just could not stand the consistency anymore. If I did have one piece of advice, it would be to try one thing at a time to see how you tolerate it, chew a lot, and do not eat too fast. Good luck to you. ; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I found the transition to solid food to be so challenging...I wanted to delay not accelerate it.

Here is a suggestion for others. How about discussing with nutritionists or whoever gave instructions and see if they can suggest how to cope with whatever the concern is.

When I was on the pre op diet I became weak. They said I could increase carbs so I would feel better. I wound up NOT doing that because I was so afraid of surgical problems due to a fatty liver , but a phone call gave me some acceptable options.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

The sleeve is whole different deal, you don't have a NEW stomach created , so why not? I was scared to death to cause any damage to the new healing stomach.

Follow your surgeon's recommendations.

@@Pedro Valle-Inclan

I am curious. How can you say that the sleeve is not a new stomach created? They removed 90% of a sleeves stomach leaving a long banana shaped pouch. There is a long staple line. But it is made from a portion of the old stomach.

With bypass they simply take a portion of the old stomach to make the pouch as well.

In both cases, the new stomach is part of the old stomach.

Do I have this wrong? Or maybe I misunderstood your point?

Whoa!! No, I misunderstood the surgery!! I thought sleeve was just a plastic sleeve "slid" over the stomach, like a more sophisticated band... oops..

The sleeve is whole different deal, you don't have a NEW stomach created , so why not? I was scared to death to cause any damage to the new healing stomach.

What?

What?

Whoa!! No, I misunderstood the surgery!! I thought sleeve was just a plastic sleeve "slid" over the stomach, like a more sophisticated band... oops..

What surgery did you have? What kind of education did you go through?

My surgeon's very first requirement was that I take an online course that explained, in detail, each of the major surgery options, how they are performed, risks and benefits, etc. I couldn't schedule any appointments until I had completed the course.

What surgery did you have? What kind of education did you go through?

My surgeon's very first requirement was that I take an online course that explained, in detail, each of the major surgery options, how they are performed, risks and benefits, etc. I couldn't schedule any appointments until I had completed the course.

He doesn't perform sleeve so it wasn't really discussed. I had a RNY

and if so how soon after surgery? and how did it go?

I had a hiatal hernia which made it hard to swallow so I wasn't able to have much at all. I'm week 5 right now and have had broiled fish and I tried one bite of Pasta yesterday. I just missed the taste so much. But it didn't take much to feel full from it. Now I don't crave it. Not sure if that's what you mean by solid.

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

I really think you need to sit down and have an honest look at yourself and at your commitment if you are already trying to skirt the rules and you are just out the gate. If you are thinking about risking your health now for a little pleasure in the mouth, think twice, because down the road, it's easier to give into those temptations and not nearly as deadly as advancing your diet too fast is in the beginning. Suture lines take time to heal, and you are risking causing a stricture, or getting something stuck, or perforating your newly created stomach. My NUT told our class about a guy who tried to eat a taco days after going home from surgery and the shell got stuck in his sutures and perforated and he nearly died. Then later on, the same guy was eating candy bars and pushing to see how much of that candy bar he could down before or if he'd get dumping. He never reached his goal, his weight kept going up, and he eventually died of a heart attack. It's not worth it for a little pleasure on the tongue, just stay the course.