Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you dwal with head hunger?

I have an incredible desire to bite and chew food. How have you delt with this?

I've got my surgery coming up and this is one of the main worries I have, too!

My plan is to try and find some other thing that satisfies that "thing", that addiction / feeling that you "need" something to cure boredom, the blues, etc. I haven't figured it out yet, but maybe exercise or reading a book or getting a pedicure or buying a nice new outfit? I'm curious what people who've gone through the surgery have to share on this, too! :)

I am sevendors weeks out and I still have it. My husband on the other hand does not. I have been to support groups and was told it's something you have to gain control of

I am 5 weeks out and I have episodes of it, though not all the time. I just listen to my stomach and realize I'm not really hungry and tell myself that. I also stay out of the kitchen until it passes. And it does pass!

Oh god 5 weeks and 7 weeks! Uff! What I did is move to the mashed phase early and eat raw vegan chocolate ice cream which helps a bit. My head hunger goes down a bit after eating something sort of normal. But u should see how I look at salad and meat :)

I really hope some1 has a trick up their sleeve!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using the BariatricPal App

You should never eat if you aren't "stomach hungry". I found a couple of "go-to" activities to do when these occasions occurred. I knit, which helped me focus on something besides food, if I was out, I would play candy crush on my phone. Just long enough for the thoughts to pass. The reason this "tool" WLS is so effective, is that it takes your hunger away.

@@MozzaWehsha Are you still in the liquid phase? I wanted to taste and chew normal food during that phase too, but it went away when I got back to regular food.

I'm five and a half months out and cravings have started coming back. A few things I do for that:

-Use a mantra (silly as that sounds): Food is fuel. Makes me think about whether I'm physically hungry or it's just head hunger. Also reminds me that if it's physical hunger, on-plan should satisfy me.

-Exercise. Boosts my mood so I don't want a pick-me-up from food as much. Decreases hunger. Gives me something to fill my time besides eating.

-Stick to Protein. It satisfies me more and for longer than anything else.

@@gpmed I just began the mashed phase bu not fully on it as I should still be on heavy liquids. You are right about Protein, I ate today Beans, and cravings disappear right after I eat protein; however, I still crave food often, at least 50% of my day my head is thinking of different foods it is missing.

I have an event that I am looking forward to looking much thinner in, and hopefully will fit into a certain outfit...thinking of this helps me ignore my cravings.