Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of "embracing the stall !"

I have been stalled for four days. THIS SUCKS!

After being on my preop diet since January 1st , surgery February 10th I have been losing consistently.

Now, I'm stalled. This stinks especially since I'm still in purée stage and I'm basically liquid except for one cup of Soup I purée and drink over about 2 hours every night.

I am right at 300-400 calories a day.

I know the scale will move but right now I want to throw my scale!!!

I think I need to eliminate the Soups and sub in a Protein Shake instead. Or just broth. It's hard to live every day on all sweet stuff all day long but if that's what I need to do....

I should say I'm getting in about 40-50oz Water in so I'm also going to try to up that intake also...

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner!

I should also add it makes me not want to advance my diet because I fear I will never lose if I do.

I hate that I'm losing faith and thinking well, I have lost 40lbs and feel much better so maybe my body just wants to be stuck at 205 forever....

I know with my sleeve I will lose but it's disheartening as hell!

Lenora, you are only 15 days out from your surgery. You've lost 40 lbs. I'd say you are doing pretty darned good!

Perhaps you are not taking in enough calories? Perhaps you do need to up that Water to at least 64 oz a day. That is what I was told; 64 oz is the minimum requirement.

I do know that a cousin of mine had surgery about 8 years ago and she was not losing weight in the beginning because she wasn't eating enough; we go from eating too much to not eating enough. I would definitely contact the nutritionist and ask what her recommendation would be for you.

Don't give up hope. You are doing wonderful whether you think so or not. The weight is not just going to go away overnight. Be patient. It can take the body up to 2 years to lose all the weight you need to lose.

Been in a stall since beginning of January!!! I feel you, we can cry in the corner together!!!!!

The scale hasn't moved for four whole days?!

This is a joke thread, right?

Girlfriend, you are clearly not someone who can handle weighing every day. You need to get rid of your scales.

BTW, you DO know about the three-week stall, don't you?

If not, google it. It's all over the damn place.

Girlfriend, you are clearly not someone who can handle weighing every day. You need to get rid of your scales.

Can you tell I'm VERY type A and have like zero patience???

Does it show??? Lol

I know the 3 week stall is a huge thing but it still sucks !

4 days does not a stall make. I think most of us settled on having ONE official weigh in day of the week - same day, same time, and the little ups and downs in between are just normal.

You have had very rapid weight loss, and you will need to get used to the idea that it will slow down....

I was very motivated to track and being a geek i set up a model in excel that I used to track, but also calculated weekly and monthly averages etc. It helped me alot to see that in the big picture, I was heading the right direction. In hindsight it also really shows how it was very rapid at first, then fast, then sorta normal and then.... it crept to virtually a halt. i wasn't at goal yet though - so that is when i needed to make some changes.

Having a factual look at my data, trends etc - I was able to pinpoint when things really started going off track (in terms of steady losses) rather than getting caught up in the daily emotions around it.

Remember too your fat cells store estrogen, then dump it into your system when they're burned. Little things are going to seem like big things for awhile. I'd also take to the tape measure now while you're still early, so you can see the progress in inches when the scale stops being your friend!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Only 4 days and you are already at your wit's end? This is gonna be a rough journey for you.....

I just came off a stall and can say at a certain point I was embracing that stall so tight I may or may not have been strangling it. I still loss inches.

It brings back those old feels of failure, at least in my mind.

Now I don't have a choice but to weigh everyday because of my heart, I only count my weight as loss or gained on Mondays.

I think you will hear it over and over unless you have to, do not weigh but at the most once a week.

I wouldn't call four days an 'embrace' so much as 'a quick fumble in the alley'. I'm sorry you're feeling bad and it does suck when the scale doesn't move, but if it's going to freak you out change to weekly weigh ins minimum.

Advancing your diet and increasing your calories is the best way to get big loses. You don't lose a lot in the beginning because you have shocked your system. When you can take in more calories, you lose more fast. The first 6 weeks for me, were very little weight loss, as soon as I could eat more after 6 weeks BAM rapid weight loss.

Can you tell I'm VERY type A and have like zero patience???

Does it show??? Lol

I know the 3 week stall is a huge thing but it still sucks !

One thing you will have to learn through this whole process is patience. Sometimes, even when we are doing everything right, our bodies don't always want to cooperate. You have to just stay the course or try to change things up to get things moving again.

This particular stall? There is ZERO you can do but stay the course. Oh, and stay off the scale ;)

Stock up on tissues. If 4 days this early upsets you then you're in for a bumpy ride. :P

The human body doesn't respond like a machine. I've had weeks where I followed my plan and either stalled or gained. I've had days where I went off plan (In n Out burger, fries, cake) and actually lost weight the next day. At this point you're still dealing with inflammation from surgery, which means Fluid retention. Once you reach 6-8 weeks you'll be mostly healed and that Fluid retention will subside.

If you're a "Type A" personality you should not weigh every day. scales are a crude way to gauge progress. Although we call it "losing weight" what we mean is "losing fat". Take your measurements once a week along with weighing yourself. You'll get a more accurate picture of your progress.