Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling people

@@bigguy928 - I'm sorry to hear that your pcp has said such damaging things. I remember when a therapist told me how she doesn't know how fat people lived in New York City, just as I was about to start school there. Needless to say, she is now my former therapist. I have a good pcp and therapist now and they are both very supportive of my decision to have WLS.

That is an awful and very unprofessional thing for your doctor to say. Time for a new doctor, they work for you. Everything was about my weight too. Now I have lost 30+ lbs and I do feel less aches and pains but the mental stuff is hard to deal with. This surgery is not "a gift from god." It is a gift to you from you.

Only discuss it with those who you feel comfortable with. The rest you leave up to us for support and questions I guess that's what we are hear for. We become your new friends and family. Best of luck

I'm not telling anyone. Friends, Family and People at work know that I'm "actively" dieting now anyway. I've lost 16 lbs since Jan 1st. I'll have a lower BMI by the time I have WLS on 6/1, so I'll probably be a slower loser. I have weird food allergies so people who know me are used to me not eating when out or bringing my own food. I doubt anyone will notice anything different except, hopefully a healthier new me. I live alone so no one to share with on the Homefront. I like it that way. I'm not doing this for anyone but me so it's fine by me if I'm the only one who knows.

Edited by Lemm61

Most of us have yoyo dieted our whole lives. I tell people, "Oh I've lost this weight so many times, it's keeping it off that's the hard part." (All true.) They get distracted and on to the next subject. Works every time.

I only share with people I want to share with. Others I just don't say how I'm losing.

What do you say to those people that ask?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I tell them that I'm eating a lot less and following a low carb diet. It's not a lie.

Everyone important in my life knows. And my co workers know as well. (I'm with them more then my family, so they would of noticed the rapid weight loss for sure.) and my co workers have been amazingly supportive, excited, and non judgmental about the surgery so that I was grateful for, and it made the transition post surgery a lot easier. : )

@@bigguy928 - I'm sorry to hear that your pcp has said such damaging things. I remember when a therapist told me how she doesn't know how fat people lived in New York City, just as I was about to start school there. Needless to say, she is now my former therapist. I have a good pcp and therapist now and they are both very supportive of my decision to have WLS.

That's awful I'm sorry but it's one thing for a pcp to say such things (they aren't known for their awesome table manners) but it's completely unethical for something like that to come from a therapist. She should not be practicing. Have you had wls yet?

Again I love everyone's responses on this. I came back to work today after a month long hiatus and have to leave again for my surgery next week so pretty much everyone at the office already knows. I tell the ones I'm not so close to that I'm having surgery on my stomach and if they ask for more I just say I have issues with my stomach. But everyone has been entirely supportive at least to my face.

My parents are having an issue understanding it. I didn't even tell them until I completed all my pre surgical appointments. I'm glad I waited because their words get to me easily and had I told them a while back I would have had a lot more time to second guess and reconsider.

@@bigguy928 - I haven't had WLS yet. Not until May at the earliest.

I'm the same way as you with my parents and my sister, especially because I was so nervous about their reaction. I decided to tell them early in the process because shame about my weight hasn't gotten me very fair. They have been surprisingly supportive.

I have not told any of my partner's family. I know I will have to tell my mother-in-law eventually but that will require more trips to the therapist!

Fortunately I have a good therapist now. I still don't like talking about food, weight, and body issues so much or so frequently, but I'm getting used to it.

Edited by deeplue

Only my husband and one friend know. I had to also have my hernia repaired so when I took time off of work I told everyone it was for that since my insurance covered that and not my sleeve. I just tell everyone that asks about my weight loss that I see a nutritionist and focus on a Protein and produce diet. I suppose the beauty of having a lower BMI is that no one ever thinks twice about it. I've lost and gained weight so many times with weight watchers, nutrisystem, hcg. They are used to it. I've been on maintenance a year now and it's so much easier. I am not starving all the time. I did his for me and grateful everyday I decided to.

Good luck-

LA

I've only told one person that aren't my parents. It's your choice.

Didn't tell, thank God, as my husband and I had to listen to too much BS about losing weight and Our "diet", and we did not want to spend the rest of our life discussing our sleeve with anyone. We have too many important things to do. Good luck, take it slow.

I have told my parents, sisters, one aunt and uncle and obviously my wife. I feel that they are the only people who need to know now. My surgery is march 2nd, But I started a group Facebook chat with the above people to keep them informed of my journey asks get support when needed

Hey guys!

I'm about two weeks until my sleeve and I've on recently started telling close people. Weight has always been such a sensitive subject for me I never want to discuss it with anyone. I'm very outgoing and boisterous but I completely clam up when weight is brought up. I know I need to start telling people in my life because I've been big my entire life (98lbs in kindergarten) so people have always known me to be this size. Once I start dropping weight significantly I'm sure people will know that there was some surgical intervention. What are your experiences and thoughts with sharing your decision with people?

Only share with people who you feel will be the most supportive. I've told my mom and sister. I'm 5 months away because of 6 month supervised weight loss, but I still don't see me telling anyone else. I've read a lot on BP how telling too many people can backfire.

I like this a lot! I really am sick of the fat shaming especially that it's still prominent in the medical field. My primary care physician went off on me about my mental health diagnoses, said it's all in my head and that once I start losing weight I'll be much happier. I quote her "maybe the surgery is a gift from God for you not to be fat anymore." ha if that's my pcps reaction to my situation I don't even care to know some of my peers'. These responses are great thanks guys!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

bigguy928, my PCP isn't very supportive either!! I went to my first pcp appointment on January (keep in mind this is my first time seeing a PCP here in the US) and she was just telling me about all the failures of people who get the surgery!! grrrrrr. I did my research, I went to two seminars, I have the clearance from the psychologist (which she was very supportive about it) and I am in my 6 month diet per insurance requirements. Which means I have to see the pcp 5 more times. I just hate that she is not being supportive and I don't want to change PCP just because I want to get over the 6 months fast. Trust me, I have tried so many diets, and try so many pills that never worked or didn't had long lasting results. I am so ready for a life change.