Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all February 1st Sleevers!

Yesterday was my first day back at work as a nurse. I had so much more energy! And my scrubs were pretty loose!!! I remember squeezing into them like a polish sausage!

Good afternoon!

I am a Feb 1st Sleever! But lost this thread and didn't know how to find it. I suffered nearly a month w/o you guys! lol I read every single post, *whew* I finally made it through! =)

Around Feb 23rd or so, things smoothed out very well for me and I was feeling almost "normal", but then I started on soft foods. This part is going to take trial and error for me it seems.

I've never had a problem getting the Water in. We used to measure out a 67 oz jug of Water every night before bed, and I'd drink that the next day and then some. Since I could only indulge in water and broth (I didn't like the Jello or popsicles) I splurged on trying various "artisan" waters, lol. But I drank only Spring Water before surgery anyway. Learning water ingredients has been interesting. So now I am adding liquid 'Trace Minerals', a capful or tsp, to my 34 oz. bottled water,and it taste amazing. I'll drink four or five of these bottles per day and keep one by my bed at night, but again only one tsp of 'Trace Minerals' per day.

I finally got to eat my beloved pickles! I've been peeling them with a potato peeler & sipping some of the brine. Since these are naturally fermented pickles (Bubbies) and not vinegar pickles, I've had no more Constipation. Not sure if any of you went through that. But the Premier Protein shakes ended up making me feel like I was passing chalk. Odd since I know I'd been getting in all my water.

I've been doing housework, yard work and for some reason, took in another rescue dog. <3 They keep me on my toes, like it or not! I don't go cardio-walking however. I was so heavy that it hurt my feet to walk before surgery, and I've obviously not lost enough weight yet so that cardio-walking doesn't hurt like heck.

=( My highest weight was 373. My last Dr. appt I was 330.

I also don't want to weight myself at home. I want to focus on all this re-education, healing, eating right and living right! I know if I can accomplish that, the fat is going to come off. Good news, there is a gym associated with the hospital and my surgeons office, designed especially for obese people and I get a free three month membership, and they have a swimming pool. Also equipment that I can actually fit in.

So yes, for now I find it a bit hard to consume soft foods. Cottage cheese went down easily last week, but not this week. I tried blended black bean Soup, and it was too spicy. Baby food, goes down so easily. And I like it. O.o I thought I could have deli turkey, BUT I bought organic, sliced turkey breast from the deli section at Whole Foods and that went down like a dry brick. Silly me, I think they meant the kind of deli meats with the added water, derp. Now I have a weird sharp pain left, mid-stomach. Hmm. So paranoid I am!

I did have a second leak test about a week and a half ago, and it was normal. I had gone in to check pains under my right breast area. I think I over did some things, and probably still do.

The only way I might differ from some of you is that I have Fibromyalgia and fatigue issues, spinal stenosis, arthritis (common). So when I say I can feel everything, it's true. After I woke up from anesthesia, I knew exactly where my stomach had been cut. People rarely believe people with Fibro can feel everything, and yes you can feel things even through pain meds. So I've had some anxiety but I've been diligent, praying and hoping that I understand what I am supposed to do and don't mess up!!

I read the posts about alcohol. Man that must have felt horrible and was terrifying for you! I had a canker sore, and used a mouthwash and all I did was accidentally ingest some of the mouthwash and my stomach felt like it was lit up with a match! Poor baby!

I have my second follow up middle of March. I'll see my Rheumatologist Dr. tomorrow. Just keeping a close watch on everything.

I am so impressed and inspired by the way so many of you have bounced back after surgery! It is truly a gift! It shows your determination, your faith and trust in your healing and I loved reading about that. Glad to be back in the Thread! So many strong and beautiful people here!

Edited by Amelie2016

I have lost 35lbs since surgery... but.. I have issues getting Water down. liquids down and food down. If I have too much broth or yogurt or whatever it comes back up.

Everything I take in has to go in very very slow including water. Or it huts like it doesn't fit going down.

@@martytx07 I get what you are saying because I have thought... hell. No wonder I'm loosing weight when I try to drink or eat too much it hurts... so I guess I'm greatful for it just the same.

Edited by mryjo73

I have lost 35lbs since surgery... but.. I have issues getting Water down. Liquids down and food down. If I have too much broth or yogurt or whatever it comes back up.

Everything I take in has to go in very very slow including water. Or it huts like it doesn't fit going down.

@@martytx07 I get what you are saying because I have thought... hell. No wonder I'm loosing weight when I try to drink or eat too much it hurts... so I guess I'm greatful for it just the same.

Exactly why I'm a little sad that I don't get sick lol. It's sort of bad that I want that feeling but I do! That way, my mentality sort of becomes, you cant eat that or it will make you sick. Right now it's still in the same mind frame of you can eat anything (except stuff on the list but that's only because I don't want my stomach to rip open and I die!!! Lol jk) . Of course, I love that I'm not really hungry so the surgery does help with that but I'm just more concerned with is this gonna help a lot in the long run. I really hope it does!

All your traveling sounds exciting!

It is! But it's so different with food now! I used to always grab a Starbucks mocha at the airport, See's candy bars and chips for the flight and eat all kinds of things on the go! Now I immediately go to find my Protein Shakes and then look for Soups for lunch and dinner!
Talk about a world shift. Every time I see a Starbucks I have so many memories and I feel my hands beginning to turn into the driveway... Then I remember!! You probably keep a stocked food bag with you now? They can't sell too much Soup at the airport, lol!

Lol!!! I know the Starbucks feeling. It's crazy. I don't think I'll ever have what I used to have again!

Nope - no soup at the airports but as soon as I'm through security I get a big bottle of Water. Once I land I hit cvs and get my Premier Protein. Then I find a restaurant that has soup. I went to joes crabshack this evening and got clam chowder. Only able to eat 4 spoons. :(

Crazy changes!

Good afternoon!

I am a Feb 1st Sleever! But lost this thread and didn't know how to find it. I suffered nearly a month w/o you guys! lol I read every single post, *whew* I finally made it through! =)

Around Feb 23rd or so, things smoothed out very well for me and I was feeling almost "normal", but then I started on soft foods. This part is going to take trial and error for me it seems.

I've never had a problem getting the Water in. We used to measure out a 67 oz jug of Water every night before bed, and I'd drink that the next day and then some. Since I could only indulge in water and broth (I didn't like the Jello or popsicles) I splurged on trying various "artisan" waters, lol. But I drank only Spring Water before surgery anyway. Learning water ingredients has been interesting. So now I am adding liquid 'Trace Minerals', a capful or tsp, to my 34 oz. bottled water,and it taste amazing. I'll drink four or five of these bottles per day and keep one by my bed at night, but again only one tsp of 'Trace Minerals' per day.

I finally got to eat my beloved pickles! I've been peeling them with a potato peeler & sipping some of the brine. Since these are naturally fermented pickles (Bubbies) and not vinegar pickles, I've had no more Constipation. Not sure if any of you went through that. But the Premier Protein shakes ended up making me feel like I was passing chalk. Odd since I know I'd been getting in all my water.

I've been doing housework, yard work and for some reason, took in another rescue dog. <3 They keep me on my toes, like it or not! I don't go cardio-walking however. I was so heavy that it hurt my feet to walk before surgery, and I've obviously not lost enough weight yet so that cardio-walking doesn't hurt like heck.

=( My highest weight was 373. My last Dr. appt I was 330.

I also don't want to weight myself at home. I want to focus on all this re-education, healing, eating right and living right! I know if I can accomplish that, the fat is going to come off. Good news, there is a gym associated with the hospital and my surgeons office, designed especially for obese people and I get a free three month membership, and they have a swimming pool. Also equipment that I can actually fit in.

So yes, for now I find it a bit hard to consume soft foods. Cottage cheese went down easily last week, but not this week. I tried blended black bean Soup, and it was too spicy. Baby food, goes down so easily. And I like it. O.o I thought I could have deli turkey, BUT I bought organic, sliced turkey breast from the deli section at Whole Foods and that went down like a dry brick. Silly me, I think they meant the kind of deli meats with the added water, derp. Now I have a weird sharp pain left, mid-stomach. Hmm. So paranoid I am!

I did have a second leak test about a week and a half ago, and it was normal. I had gone in to check pains under my right breast area. I think I over did some things, and probably still do.

The only way I might differ from some of you is that I have Fibromyalgia and fatigue issues, spinal stenosis, arthritis (common). So when I say I can feel everything, it's true. After I woke up from anesthesia, I knew exactly where my stomach had been cut. People rarely believe people with Fibro can feel everything, and yes you can feel things even through pain meds. So I've had some anxiety but I've been diligent, praying and hoping that I understand what I am supposed to do and don't mess up!!

I read the posts about alcohol. Man that must have felt horrible and was terrifying for you! I had a canker sore, and used a mouthwash and all I did was accidentally ingest some of the mouthwash and my stomach felt like it was lit up with a match! Poor baby!

I have my second follow up middle of March. I'll see my Rheumatologist Dr. tomorrow. Just keeping a close watch on everything.

I am so impressed and inspired by the way so many of you have bounced back after surgery! It is truly a gift! It shows your determination, your faith and trust in your healing and I loved reading about that. Glad to be back in the Thread! So many strong and beautiful people here!

Welcome back!!!!!! Glad you're doing well. I don't have any experience with fibromyalgia but I've heard it is painful so I hope you continue to do well! :) I can't believe you read everything lmao!!!!

Happy late 1 month surgeversary (sp?). I'm down 28 since pre-op and 25 since surgery. Haven't worked out for real - I had a 30 minute evaluation at the gym that's all. Once this traveling dies down, I'll hit the gym hard! Very excited.

I'm one of the ones who has a very bratty sleeve. Everything hurts, chicken doesn't stay down. I have to be very very very careful with bites because one bite can make me puke it all. Not fun. Now I hardly ever want anything. Forcing my shakes down sucks!!!!

But I'm loving the updates!!!! :)

Duplicate post

Edited by prettyCali916

Happy late 1 month surgeversary (sp?). I'm down 28 since pre-op and 25 since surgery. Haven't worked out for real - I had a 30 minute evaluation at the gym that's all. Once this traveling dies down, I'll hit the gym hard! Very excited.

I'm one of the ones who has a very bratty sleeve. Everything hurts, chicken doesn't stay down. I have to be very very very careful with bites because one bite can make me puke it all. Not fun. Now I hardly ever want anything. Forcing my shakes down sucks!!!!

But I'm loving the updates!!!! :)

Yes!

That's exactly how I am feeling progressing to soft foods. Plus, it's been a bit of a task for me to remember NOT to sip Water before or after I eat. I've started timing it only yesterday. But I think I know the sensation ... sometimes I eat something, and it just feels awful sitting there. Then I wander how long I have to wait until it goes away. If it feels that bad, I do take a tiny sip of Water because I really can't have that food sitting that high up. Not gonna happen.

And yes, the sliced turkey, felt like a brick in my stomach. Or like I was eating felt. Remember felt? LOL!

No, no turkey yet. So last night I bought some more baby food. Someone mentioned corned beef and hash 50% fat free. There is a nice amount of Protein in that and it's mushy! It went down very well. I only microwaved it, but heated in a skillet would bring back memories, yum.

I'm finding that I have overbought food! I am clearly not the same stomach I used to be. :P I think you're brave for trying chicken so far. I'm really scared! lol But yes, this is helping. I do love it. I really do.

And to the gentleman who isn't feeling restriction at this point, I bet you will. I read someone else post that their nerves were just settling down and in, and eventually they did get the restriction they had heard about. So don't try to eat until you feel it. And maybe you're being so compliant that you don't feel it, and that's wonderful!

One month down!

Has anyone had any stalls last week and this week? I have been fluctuating between 236-234! Start wt was 260.

Yes, I did. I got my first period since my surgery.

I only knew this because I had to weigh at my rheumatologists office yesterday. But it's my period, so I don't think it's a true stall.

Other things happened. I was lightheaded. I called my Dr. I have not been eating enough food, not enough meat, and my blood pressure was also way too low.

I made all my appointments, PCP, Cardiologist and Bariatric check in, to cover these changes. I got some liquid Iron, and also some absorb-able B complex. I don't want to feel that way again. So now I am worried that I won't lose weight ever again, silly right?

When eating is the thing that gets your engines running, and allows the rest of your body to function properly. Are you eating enough? Right now ... "real" food feels so gross in my stomach!

I am on my period too. Started Mon but its Fri now! And yes I worry that I will not lose anymore wt too! I am 51 and going through the change as well. So emotions suck! Lol! Constipation has been an issue. As far as food I have been eating soft to regular food but chewing chewing chewing! Just had a salad for first time! I get all my Protein but hard to get all the Water in. I used to deink TONS of water but guzzled! Sipping hard to adjust to.

Hi everyone, I am right there with you guys. I've lost 27 lbs since pre-op and 17 lbs since surgery. I feel much more normal now. I'm learning my new stomach more and more. Still a little hesitant to try certain foods. I kinda like to stick to what I know lol. I have really been eating avocado. They are my fav right now. What are some things you guys have been experimenting with? I definitely need more food choices:)

Hi arenea

Since I was told to eat, last night I tried chicken livers, since they are kind of mushy, high in nutrients and Protein. Not too bad but I think I ate too much.

I just now ate about 1/2 cup of those small pre-shelled shrimp and they have been the best meat to go down so far. So easy to chew, already pre-salty from the brine they're frozen in and feels good, especially since I ate them cold.

I'm just an anxious mess right now. So overwhelmed sometimes about what to eat! On the "Post Op" diet, the suggestions look so simple to follow. But "real life" is a completely different ballpark!

Creamy blue cheese, easy to eat. But now I have to think about protein! In the first 2 weeks it was mindless, Clear Liquids, full liquids. Now I feel like I'm on Jeopardy!

Edited by Amelie2016

I've been eating cottage cheese, salmon, chicken, and pastaless lasagne with turkey meat. Tolerating all that well. Tried sauteed mushrooms last night and got bad gas! Brocholi hasn't sat well with me either! Too bloating! Protein Drink every other day probably...may need to step that up though. ????